RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

programming homelink on RX300

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-01, 08:08 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default programming homelink on RX300

Does anyone know how to program the homelink system? i can't seem to program it with my genie garage opener.... thanks.
Old 11-15-01, 07:15 AM
malhokc
Pole Position

The dealer should be able to do this for you at no charge. You'll need to bring in your garage opener.

There are also instuctions on the following link

http://www.homelink.com/programming/gdo.html

Pretty simple.
Good luck
Old 11-15-01, 08:59 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default home link

The instructions in the owners manual actually work you just have to read the next section/paragraph after you take the first step (matching operating frequencies with homelink and an actual garage remote that is already programmed to open that door).
Old 11-15-01, 05:54 PM
dvarapala
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Keep Trying

I programmed mine for the first time today. It takes a long time to "learn" your remote, but does eventually learn it. You just have to keep both the button on your Homelink and the button on your regular remote held down for long enough. Also, it seemed to help when I moved the transmitter around until the Homelink LED started blinking. I may have been holding it too close, and the signal from the transmitter may have been overloading the Homeline receiver.

Keep at it - you'll get it eventually.
Old 11-15-01, 07:26 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default homelink

dvarapala's instructions sometimes do not work for the new "rotating code" remote controls, his procedure will only "teach" your Lexus homelink the operating frequency of the nearby remote, now you must put the garage door opener in "learn" and operate the selected homelink button until the "rotating" code transmitted by homelink is "learned" by the opener.

Read the homelink section of the owners manual COMPLETELY, its a two step process.

Be sure the remote you use has already been programmed to open THAT garage door.
Old 09-01-13, 07:08 PM
slanzet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wwest
dvarapala's instructions sometimes do not work for the new "rotating code" remote controls, his procedure will only "teach" your Lexus homelink the operating frequency of the nearby remote, now you must put the garage door opener in "learn" and operate the selected homelink button until the "rotating" code transmitted by homelink is "learned" by the opener.

Read the homelink section of the owners manual COMPLETELY, its a two step process.

Be sure the remote you use has already been programmed to open THAT garage door.
The above instructions did not work on my 2001 RX300. I found a link (see below) that finally helped. The key is to turn on the key of the car until the accessories start up. Then the directions above worked well. Remember, if you have a garage door opener with a rolling access code, then you need to do both steps including the pressing of the learn button on your garage motor. (found near the hanging antenna.)
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f100615
Old 09-02-13, 05:35 AM
rxda90
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After many unsuccessful attempts, I found that I needed to clear all existing codes by holding down the first and third button on the Homelink for about 30 seconds IIRC. Then I was able to use the very simple method of pressing and releasing the "send" button on the garage door opener itself, followed by a press of the Homelink button of my choice. Worked like a charm.
Old 12-27-13, 07:51 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to clarify here, I just got a Chamberlain whisper belt drive and a Genie quiet belt drive, both had to be programmed this way, which if you read the manual is not really crystal clear, but hopefully this will be:

1. program the handheld garage door opener to the garage door opener first and make sure it works.
2. press (and hold) the handheld garage door opener along with the button in the RX that you want the garage door opener to be, simultaneously together for 20+ seconds until the red light starts to flash rapidly, then release the buttons.
3. go to your garage door opener and press the "learn" button
4. go back to your car and press the button that you previously selected for about 2 seconds, and repeat a few more presses. Should take it by no more than 4th press.
5. done

I read some posts about Chamberlain giving repeaters and other attachments to make this work, well this same procedure worked with my '99 RX so can't imagine that any firmware update on newer units would not work on our Lexus'. Just remember that with roaming codes, you need to press the learn button on the garage door opener itself, so the dealer is not going to be able to help you unless he comes to your house.

Last edited by AlexusAnja; 12-27-13 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-29-17, 12:07 PM
siddfynch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Just to clarify here, I just got a Chamberlain whisper belt drive and a Genie quiet belt drive, both had to be programmed this way, which if you read the manual is not really crystal clear, but hopefully this will be:

1. program the handheld garage door opener to the garage door opener first and make sure it works.
2. press (and hold) the handheld garage door opener along with the button in the RX that you want the garage door opener to be, simultaneously together for 20+ seconds until the red light starts to flash rapidly, then release the buttons.
3. go to your garage door opener and press the "learn" button
4. go back to your car and press the button that you previously selected for about 2 seconds, and repeat a few more presses. Should take it by no more than 4th press.
5. done

I read some posts about Chamberlain giving repeaters and other attachments to make this work, well this same procedure worked with my '99 RX so can't imagine that any firmware update on newer units would not work on our Lexus'. Just remember that with roaming codes, you need to press the learn button on the garage door opener itself, so the dealer is not going to be able to help you unless he comes to your house.
This just worked perfectly for my pre-2012 Chamberlain system and 2000 RX3000. I cleared the car's codes first.
Old 11-30-17, 05:55 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Newer Chaimberlains don't work with the RX300 Homelink. Chaimberlain sells an "RF Bridge" to make their newer openers compatible with older Homelink systems.
Old 12-02-17, 06:01 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

My dos centavos here.
1. for rolling code, after your HL learned the code off remote, you need to press learning button on opener, then do several consecutive press>hold for 2 seconds>release steps. Usually, 2-4 do the job.
2. NEW openers, as Chamberlaine and Liftmaster is same difference, will NOT work with older HL units. They simply do not learn the code. Then you either have to keep remote in the car or buy what is called a repeater or bridge, as described above. $25 and 2 more pieces of electronics, one adding to your electric bill as it needs to be plugged into outlet in garage.