RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Spark Plugs DIY (if you have the patience)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-08, 08:32 PM
Nickv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Lexmex for the DIY on sparkplug changing. I plan to follow that when I need to. BUT, WHEN do I "need" to change my plugs. My RX300 is a 2000 2WD version with 67,000 miles and running fine right now. But when to replace? Any advice appreciated.
Nick
Old 12-30-08, 09:41 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickv
Thanks Lexmex for the DIY on sparkplug changing. I plan to follow that when I need to. BUT, WHEN do I "need" to change my plugs. My RX300 is a 2000 2WD version with 67,000 miles and running fine right now. But when to replace? Any advice appreciated.
Nick
60K is about the earliest that one could change it out (really not necessary except in my case), but most people I have encountered run it about to 90K to 120K and then change them. I have done it a few times because of the issues with Mexican gasoline but since Mexico changed their formulation about 2 years ago, I have stayed with my current Torquemasters ever since even after returning to Florida earlier this year.
Old 12-30-08, 10:46 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickv
Nick
I wouldnt change them until at least 100k miles. I did mine at 120k and they looked great....
Old 12-31-08, 12:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The new plugs shown in this thread are the same ones I still have in there.
Old 01-02-09, 10:30 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as of today, what are the BEST plugs one should use in their rx300? I need to have mine done and want to know which are BEST Thanks. Love the writeup!
Old 01-03-09, 09:45 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cduluk
as of today, what are the BEST plugs one should use in their rx300? I need to have mine done and want to know which are BEST Thanks. Love the writeup!
I am going to defer to others on this. I love my Torquemaster plugs as they work really well with the rest of the way my vehicle is set up.

Having used both Denso and NGK before that, I still feel it's a tossup on those.
Old 01-03-09, 10:03 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

I dropped some Bosch Platinum Ir Fusions in mine, they're okay. I didn't notice anything bad, but I also didn't notice anything great either. Car runs fine though and mileage is right at 20 MPG with 50% city and 50% highway.

I've seen a lot on the Densos here and people seem to like them.
Old 01-03-09, 11:16 AM
Nickv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark plug life and gas mileage?

Speaking of gas mileage, my 2000 with only 67K miles, gets only 15 mpg in Calif city/freeway driving, and just 20 with total freeway driving. Frankly I have been disappointed in that mileage.

In anycase, I wonder if my somewhat poor mileage is related to spark plug life? My plugs are the originals, hence, my concern about replacing them... Thank you all for any advice, This is such a great group.
Nick V
Old 01-03-09, 01:54 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

stay with the denso`s,and replace @ 120,000 miles, Excellent plug.
Old 02-08-09, 06:20 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Good guide, i actually disconnect the intake plenum and raise it when i had to remove spark plugs on a 1mz. (2 bolts on the back, and 4 nuts/bolts on the front)

With that being said i would edit your post. You have a typo when you say 4 front spark plugs.

Also I would not drop the spark plugs into the holes, you never know, something might break or chip. You need a spark plug socket, its a socket with rubber isolation specially made for the plugs. Also a good spark plug socket has a joint on it, making it flexible. Just put the spark plug in the socket and then lower it into the hole.

Last edited by Ryeno; 02-08-09 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-08-09, 08:25 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Good guide, i actually disconnect the intake plenum and raise it when i had to remove spark plugs on a 1mz. (2 bolts on the back, and 4 nuts/bolts on the front)

With that being said i would edit your post. You have a typo when you say 4 front spark plugs.

Also I would not drop the spark plugs into the holes, you never know, something might break or chip. You need a spark plug socket, its a socket with rubber isolation specially made for the plugs. Also a good spark plug socket has a joint on it, making it flexible. Just put the spark plug in the socket and then lower it into the hole.
Thanks, Changed.

The plugs are durable enough that for that short drop they're not going to chip once they get in there. The porcelain is on the top and that is actually the delicate point. I don't even worry about the gap getting messed up.

Yet, another trick that can be done with those plugs is to take a pencil with some tape and lower them in there and then just jiggle the plug off once they go down there. I haven't ever seen an issue dropping them down there.

About the only thing I do worry about (and I wouldn't need to worry with this vehicle, is that they fall out of the socket (that's rare and would have to be a in a vehicle that would require them to be installed upside down) or the plugs are in a tight location where in the process of putting them in they fall out and hit the ground and the porcelain cracks.
Old 02-08-09, 08:32 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

You can also get a piece of rubber hose to fit over the end of the plug and then lower it and actually turn them lightly to start the threads.
Old 02-08-09, 10:44 AM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

That works well. I remember changing my rear plugs and using a rubber-insert socket to lower them into place. After all kinds of contortions to tighten the most difficult plug first, I pulled the socket extender off the socket but absolutely could not get the socket off the plug due to the rubber insert. I had to take it out and start over. Sheesh!
Old 02-08-09, 11:12 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I am still a few years from changing mine out again thanks to running on U.S. gas now, but will likely update a few steps when I do it again.
Old 02-08-09, 10:46 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by trhs75
That works well. I remember changing my rear plugs and using a rubber-insert socket to lower them into place. After all kinds of contortions to tighten the most difficult plug first, I pulled the socket extender off the socket but absolutely could not get the socket off the plug due to the rubber insert. I had to take it out and start over. Sheesh!
I've never had that problem. My rubber has always stayed inside the socket and gripped the plug enough for it to not drop, yet once the plug was tight enough, it would pull right off.

Also a spark plug socket with adjustable joint makes changing the rear bank plugs easier.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs DIY (if you have the patience)