RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Brake Pads DIY

Old 12-02-08, 07:51 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickv
So I need to replace my brake pads and I saw this thread. Saw the recommendation for the Akebono ProAct pads and went shopping. Went to Amazon, as I am prone to do, and found some, even found some Akebono pads that Amazon says fit my RX300. But was unsure, so I shopped some more stopping at the autowharehouse. They had too many different models that fit my car. So what model of Akebono pads should I get for the front and for the rear? I think I can change the pads...hopefully...
Thanks for any advice,
Nick
Nick,

You might want to try www.rockauto.com as they list the Akebono ProAct pads there (I checked just now), same place where I got mine from.

ACT 707 for fronts
ACT 325 for the rears

Ron
Old 12-02-08, 01:59 PM
Nickv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good on the grease, but what model brake pads?

Oops. My bad. I didn't look at the previous post by Lexmex who replied earlier this morning. Sorry. And thanks for the update on the brake pad models.
Akebono;;gottem.

Thank you for posting.
Nick
My original post is below...

Well, I do now understand about where to apply the grease--to the sliding bolts?

But I still don't know which model of the Akebono brake pads to use? Even the Akebono Act website is confusing to me about which model to use.

I don't think that I really need to do the brake pads now. As a senior citizen, I don't really use my car that much. While it is a 2000 year RX399, it has just turned 66,000 miles. I wish the outside looked as nice as it seems to run. It has picked up its share of door bumps from the grocery parking lots. Boo. For me, it has turned out to be a great car and according to the Lexus dealer records, I have more than gotten my money's worth out of the extended warranty.
Nick

Last edited by Nickv; 12-02-08 at 02:02 PM. Reason: I didn't look at a previous posting.
Old 12-02-08, 05:45 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

PDF showing spots to lube.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lexus Brakes.pdf (60.0 KB, 1421 views)
Old 12-02-08, 05:46 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

2nd PDF showing spots to lube.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lexus Brakes 2.pdf (40.5 KB, 956 views)
Old 12-02-08, 05:56 PM
Nickv
Rookie

Default Thanks for the brake help.

Thank you carguy7, Lexmex, and others for all the help. This group is great. I sincerely appreciate all the help. I will try and be as helpful as you all, when I get into these things. I will provide feedback after I do something.
Nick
Old 01-22-09, 06:18 AM
edbro
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me ask a dumb question as this is the first time I've ever done brakes. I got the Akebono pads. What exactly is the noise supression grease for? Is if for lubing the sliding parts or is it a treatment for the pads themselves?
Old 01-22-09, 07:17 AM
Nickv
Rookie

Uhhh.... since "we" are asking.... How do you know whether to replace the brake discs? Do they need to be resurfaced when replacing the brake pads? Thanks, in advance. Nick
Old 01-22-09, 08:50 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by edbro
Let me ask a dumb question as this is the first time I've ever done brakes. I got the Akebono pads. What exactly is the noise supression grease for? Is if for lubing the sliding parts or is it a treatment for the pads themselves?
I use that between the shim and the pad itself.
Old 01-22-09, 08:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nickv
Uhhh.... since "we" are asking.... How do you know whether to replace the brake discs? Do they need to be resurfaced when replacing the brake pads? Thanks, in advance. Nick
Ah the rotor, usually I can feel vibration in the pads themselves as I apply brakes at 40 mph and slowing down. I also tend to look at the rotors when I have the brake pads off to see if there are any burn marks on the pad (like a streak that looks out of the ordinary). Another thing I do is take one of the new pads and slide it on the surface of the rotor. It really takes a fine eye to look a the rotor from the side to see if there is an issue, but I go on the things I mentioned earlier.
Old 01-22-09, 09:15 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

If you are not experiencing any pulsating when braking, and I am going to get a lot of flak, just replace the pads...they will wear into the old disk. If there is pulsation either replace the disk or get it turned down. The minimum thickness is usually etched on the disk. My neighbor just got his turned for $27 for both disks...easy job just follow the tutorials.... Almost all brake shops will want to turn your rotors when doing a brake job...but from 40 years of experience, I will tell you it is not necessarily required.
Old 01-22-09, 01:28 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I haven't had an issue with my rotors since I got back from Mexico, but at higher altitudes and with so many vehicles on the road (and people breathing), I am sure the 25% less oxygen levels up there are probably a lot more, thus the brakes, rotors could not cool as well, and I needed to have my rotors shaved a few times, but as thomas1 mentioned it's not necessarily required.
Old 02-18-10, 08:47 PM
pinoyballa
Rookie

how much of the difference does the anti squeal shims on the akebono pads make compared to the oem toyota pads? if i buy the oem toyota ones, any idea if they come w/ the grease?
Old 02-18-10, 09:05 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Holy thread revival !!! LOL.

Akebono pads with shims are an excellent replacement compared to factory pads.
Factory pads I believe comes with grease packaging but no shims.

Although I can say that factory shims are better than what comes with the Akebono pads. Fitment, build quality, 2 piece shim as opposed to 1.
But for $30-$40 that they want for just shims... forget it.
Old 02-18-10, 09:10 PM
pinoyballa
Rookie

thanks for the quick response...im planning to replace my rear pads and its my first time. Im having trouble visualizing what the difference is.

i was reading in a past post that you can reuse the factory shim. is that true?
Old 02-18-10, 09:18 PM
pinoyballa
Rookie

never mind it wasnt the shims it was something else! hahah..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Pads DIY