RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What was the first modification (if any) on your RX300?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-07, 07:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts
Default What was the first modification (if any) on your RX300?

I noticed the other day a very popular thread in the ES300/330 forum, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=114744

I am very curious with regard to spontaneous behavior, often looking for those things that pop into people's minds as far as what they think they want to do and what they actually do.

For me, I can recall a cold morning at Lexus of Rockville back in January 2002 where I asked them to change the oil to Mobil 1 5W30, the first modification.

Shortly upon arrival in Mexico, having the lower panels painted black by my uncle and a few months later switching over to 235-70-16 CrossTerrains along with a K&N air filter.

I am curious as to what was the first modification for everyone.

Last edited by Lexmex; 08-26-11 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-31-07, 09:49 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not counting routine maintenance, including also switching to Michelin CrossTerrain tires at about 4 years. I can't think of any any modifications I've made, other than removing the roof cross-bars and cargo net (both of which I didn't order in the first place), if you can call them modifications.

Well, maybe you'd count replacing the trailer hitch cover with a lock-in generic Walmart black plastic one when it fell out or was filched.

I'd like to mount my XM radio permanently one of these days. Maybe even a thru-roof antenna for the XM radio. I've had amateur radio antennas on previous cars, so I'm not squeamish about cutting holes.
Old 01-31-07, 10:11 AM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No performance mods until this year but the very 1st mod on the RX was the clear corners and black tails.
Old 01-31-07, 10:52 AM
Francis
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not much. Just 01' tail light, 01' rear spoiler and blue fog light bulb.
Old 01-31-07, 10:53 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ThermoTec exhaust wraps to increase exhaust flow and temperature.
Old 01-31-07, 10:57 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Jaos skid plate, front bar and off road lights. [the lights are the only contorvertial mod, but no sense in boxing them in the garage]. Followed by trailer hitch (Lexus brand).

Why:
Jaos was to make RX look different. Just too many on the road.
Trailor hitch was to pull a trailor and have used it only once.

Future plan:
Add teh ipod interface I built.

Salim

Note for Lexmex:
Although the RX is a very popular vehcile, the % of owners willing to modify their vehicle is extreemly low. I tried to explore how many owners would be willing to add ipod line in and the number was less than what I count with my finger tips.
S.

Last edited by salimshah; 01-31-07 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-31-07, 11:25 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Note for Lexmex:
Although the RX is a very popular vehcile, the % of owners willing to modify their vehicle is extreemly low. I tried to explore how many owners would be willing to add ipod line in and the number was less than what I count with my finger tips.
S.
I also notice this. Maybe Lexmex can charm in with a good explanation: it is very rare for people (even guys) to wear the same cloth day after day. It is unheard of for someone to put on the same outfit year after year. Now with cars, it is normal that the owner feels OK to have the exactly same look, performance, feel, as thousands other owners who bought the same car. More often than not, majority of RX owners keeps everything stock for the entire ownership, which could last for years.
To top this whole strange (to me) phenomenon off, there are more men than women who wishes to change the look and feel of cars they drive. You think ladies would be sick of tired of the same fashion/status symbol long before men do...
Old 01-31-07, 11:58 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

For me, almost every modification came out of need.

The performance modifications due to high altitude issues, especially going up hills and it went from there. At sea level, my RX felt just fine.

The painting of the lower black panels because I had some paint chipping on the back, top area of the bumper and easier to paint black than to try to match that gray.

About the only things I can remember doing out of liking were the XM Radio and that Wood Panel kit. Those Momo pedals actually helped me since I have small feet.
Old 01-31-07, 12:06 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There are probably a lot of folks like me who bought their RX for the utility it offers in hauling cargo like a small SUV with the luxury that is usually reserved for larger sedans. Not many of us are trying to disguise our rides as rally cars or F1 racers, thus big wings, chin spoilers and ground effects packages tend to look slightly odd. By the same token, the basic platform doesn't lend itself to overwhelming bling like an Escalade. I take that as a compliment.

There are plenty of RX's coming into the "Legacy Market" (Mom's old grocery getter being handed down to the kids). Those kids don't want to be seen in what they consider to be "Mom's car", so they start to bolt stuff on in an attempt to disguise the original mission of the vehicle. That's great, and some of it can be pretty creative - but not all change is for the better.
Old 01-31-07, 01:13 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my first modification was de-badging the rear trunk and leaving only the L. The first performance modification was using a k&n filter.
Old 01-31-07, 02:03 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
it is very rare for people (even guys) to wear the same cloth day after day. It is unheard of for someone to put on the same outfit year after year. Now with cars, it is normal that the owner feels OK to have the exactly same look, performance, feel, as thousands other owners who bought the same car.
I should mention that I ordered my RX300 without a sunroof. The combination of no rear wind deflector, no roof rack, and no sunroof gives the car a distinctive look that I like. [I actually had to pay more for this combination, since the options package was less expensive.] I haven't seen any others in my color (white) with this look.
Old 01-31-07, 02:37 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bob2200
I should mention that I ordered my RX300 without a sunroof. The combination of no rear wind deflector, no roof rack, and no sunroof gives the car a distinctive look that I like. [I actually had to pay more for this combination, since the options package was less expensive.] I haven't seen any others in my color (white) with this look.
Interesting. I have seen photos of RX300s set up this way and do like quite beautiful. I like the smooth look.

I have been considering to remove the orange/red side markers found on the corners of the vehicle to give it a smoother look. However, will do that when I repaint the bumpers in the future.
Old 01-31-07, 08:28 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well one of my headlamp bulbs burned out so I went to a local Import Tuning shop and bought some PIAA Xtreme White Plus bulbs, and so it began... The next mods I'm planning are a 6000K HID kit, 3000K Fogs and Intrax Suspension lowering springs, and then maybe 18x8 Gun Metal-ish five spoke wheels before I run out of money.

-Tc
Old 01-31-07, 09:10 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I am curious as to what was the first modification for everyone.
I installed the rear bumper guard. Had to wait 2 months while my friend shipped the front unit from Japan.
Old 02-01-07, 07:13 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engine Mods: With parts available from pepboys created short ram intake. Have since removed and went back to stock because i rarely use the RX and when i do its for relaxation and Crusing. Integra GSR provides the thrill and Sound that makes me tingle. I have notice tho that with my SRI i was getting about 18-19mpg. now i am seeing 16-17mpg. I have been considering the K&N drop in or maybe i just need a tune up.

Interior Mods: Bazooka Bass Tube. I really want to ipod upgrade now. But i may just upgrade the whole car to a RX330.

Exterior Mods: 18s, Window, hood and Moonroof Visor .

These were my first mod. If you want to be technical i did these things over a month period since my wheels had to be shipped from CA and my visors from weather tech

Quick Reply: What was the first modification (if any) on your RX300?