RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What was the first modification (if any) on your RX300?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-07, 09:01 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KeepDaBeat
My first mod was a Weapon-R short ram intake. Second, a complete new audio system. That's all i've done. Rims will probably come later, maybe end of summer, and I'm hoping to do the exhaust very soon. I'd also like to get rid of the two tone, but, the cheapest bid I've gotten is $700, and for that price I can deal with two slightly different colors of blue. :-)
Pics of the intake!!! Please please! =P
Old 02-09-07, 02:39 PM
KeepDaBeat
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just recently had a problem with the intake. I had it mounted the way I thought it was supposed to be, but the brace broke. So now I have it mounted with rope until I can get it into the shop...haha. So once it's back, i'll get you a pic. Looks pretty sweet for $230, and sounds AWESOME.
Old 02-09-07, 08:11 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by KeepDaBeat
Just recently had a problem with the intake. I had it mounted the way I thought it was supposed to be, but the brace broke. So now I have it mounted with rope until I can get it into the shop...haha. So once it's back, i'll get you a pic. Looks pretty sweet for $230, and sounds AWESOME.
Oh yeah, I remember that bracket when I had my Weapon-R system. Major PITA bending that thing into place.
Old 02-10-07, 05:51 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had forgotten in my earlier reply that the first modification was painting the brake calipers black. [It was a long time ago]. The latest modification was done two days ago by the local body shop. The clear-coat had started to peel on the rear hatch repaint they did a couple of years ago, and when they re-clear-coated, they had to replace the three pieces of stick-on lettering. They mistakenly put on a RX330 piece; so now I have a RX300 badged as a RX330. That's probably pretty unique. [I didn't insist they correct it - should I have?]
Old 02-10-07, 06:38 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wife's '01 300 is a base model, no sunroof, no spoiler, no leather, no CD player. First and only mod was a new glove box with the CD changer, eBay parts for about $120 plus an hour of my time. She prefers it plain and simple.
Old 02-10-07, 11:47 AM
willard
Driver School Candidate

1, Crossbars and tow hitch removed and stored.
2. 1.5" inch wheel spacers all around primarily so tire chains can be used at the rear first, initially. Wider, +1, 17X8 wheels and tires for improved stability and wider stance against potential rollover.
3. Moved OAT sensor to left front away for radiant heating influence by condensor/radiator.
4. DRL modification, eliminate HB from circuit in favor of new "DRL" relay that energizes street/parking/tail lights and forward facing high power white LED with collimated lense. No more melted HB bulb glass encapsulations.
5. LED lamps for all street/parking/tail/stop/turn lights. Involved modifying bulb failure sensor current flow detection electronics and turn sensor flasher current flow sensing.
6. Changed wiring so that fog lights can be turned on and used independently of main beams and still turn off automatically
7. Replaced OEM fog light bulbs with 9006AW, all-weather.
8. Changed out rear dome light with Ford model so that passenger map/reading light projection was from the rear, over the shoulder, and did not interfere with driver's forward night vision as much.
9. Added electronics, additional ECU, detecting airflow outlet servomotor feedback sensor "target" as soon as servomotor started moving. That was so heat and blower would come up to maximum the instant defrost/defog/demist was activated.
10. Now in process of removing internal red lens from all four rear lights.
11. Removed rubber one-way flow control "flapper valve" within the exhauster port to provide more flow-through capability and reduce "helicopter" throbbing with rear windows down.
12. Experimented with MAF/IAT modification to provide richer mixture, more torque/HP, but discovered that was defeated by downstream A/F mixture control via the oxygen sensor.

Oh, 13, Had dealer set C-best options, 1, such that the A/C could be indefinitely disabled throughout the winter months. And 2, to unlink the A/C from operating automatically in defrost/defog/demist mode.

Mostly but not fully in chronological order.

A couple more..

14. Monotone burnished gold paint supplied by the dealer as a purchase term.
15. Tail lights in rear door are disabled (not stop lights) in order to provide a more pronounced indication that the brakes are being used.

Should the transaxle ever fail I consider it worthwhile that while it's out of the RX to remove the center diff' spider gears and weld the rear sidegear in place so the vehicle has a SOLID drive coupling to the rear and only the VC for front drive.

Last edited by willard; 02-14-07 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-10-07, 09:44 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GWELEX
The wife's '01 300 is a base model, no sunroof, no spoiler, no leather, no CD player. First and only mod was a new glove box with the CD changer, eBay parts for about $120 plus an hour of my time. She prefers it plain and simple.
I didn't know you could get it with no leather or CD player lol
Old 02-11-07, 01:13 AM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i thought all lexus came in leather
Old 02-11-07, 03:07 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The first and probably only mods I did were in this order..
1) Engine flush and switch to synthetic oil
2) K&N drop in filter to replace stock and reset ECU
3) Aftermarker rear spoiler painted to match car
4) Sylvania Silverstar bulbs to replace stock lights

Last edited by Fern; 02-11-07 at 03:10 AM.
Old 02-11-07, 06:55 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tcheung87
I didn't know you could get it with no leather or CD player lol
I've seen several with no CD player, but I must admit her's is the first and only one I've seen without leather. The lexus dealership here has said the same thing, first one they have seen with a factory cloth interior. If it wasn't in the shop getting a new engine I'd snap a couple of pics for CL.
Old 05-14-15, 09:47 AM
DewHawk
Driver School Candidate

I took my wife's 1999 Lexus and sold my 2007 M35 Infiniti after we bought an Acura RDX. I liked the Lexus and enjoy refurbishing the car.

The mods I have made are (photos below):
1. 18 inch tires and wheels
2. New taillights

3. New Headlights
4. Xenon low beams
5. LED interior light
6. upgraded all side lens
7. Had all dings taken out and painted rear bumper, etc.
8. Typical maintenance items, such start, timing belt, struts, etc.

New 18 inch wheels and tires

new taillights

new headlights

closer view headlights

closer view of taillight
Old 05-14-15, 07:31 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Dewhawk; how did you get the xenon low beams to work with the 300 since it did not come from the factory with them? Dd you have to do any heavy duty wiring mods, etc to get them to work with the 300? I ask cause i would love to get the xenons for mine but I know i dont have the $ to do it; but right now am just wondering about all that was needed to accomplish this.
Old 05-15-15, 04:20 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by matts6887
Dewhawk; how did you get the xenon low beams to work with the 300 since it did not come from the factory with them? Dd you have to do any heavy duty wiring mods, etc to get them to work with the 300? I ask cause i would love to get the xenons for mine but I know i dont have the $ to do it; but right now am just wondering about all that was needed to accomplish this.
My Rx has been fully retrofitted with projectors, mine came from factory with the leveling motors and hid's bit of a PITA but I got it done, now as you said the Rx without factory hid's has a 9006 bulb, I did my dad's a while back and it took less than 10 minutes to get it set up, all you need is a 10 mm socket to remove windshield wash fill neak, now all you do is remove the old bulb's put in the hid bulb connect bulb's to ballasts, find a location to stick, bolt or zip tie ballast to (you're choice) then connect ballests to oem wires that went to stock bulbs, my dad's car has no problems with the 55w hid kit I put on it (halogen were rated at 55 watts aswell), I highly suggest a retrofit like mine, much more usable light, and really sharp cutoff, anyways if you put hid's in you will have to adjust and lower the headlights, there is bolt behind the headlight, there is also alot of light scatter cause the lens are not ment for hid's and you might get flashed, there is a big difference in lighting and if you install a pair in the fogs it's just awsome. it was 50$ a kit and have been on there for about 3 years and have had no problems, (if you get a kit make sure it's a AC current kit the DC current ones kill the hid bulb's real fast due to voltage fluctuations) pm me If you need more info

Last edited by AnthonyMtz; 05-15-15 at 04:28 AM.
Old 05-15-15, 06:55 AM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DewHawk
I took my wife's 1999 Lexus and sold my 2007 M35 Infiniti after we bought an Acura RDX. I liked the Lexus and enjoy refurbishing the car.

The mods I have made are (photos below):
1. 18 inch tires and wheels
2. New taillights

3. New Headlights
4. Xenon low beams
5. LED interior light
6. upgraded all side lens
7. Had all dings taken out and painted rear bumper, etc.
8. Typical maintenance items, such start, timing belt, struts, etc.

New 18 inch wheels and tires

new taillights

new headlights

closer view headlights

closer view of taillight
very nice except for the aftermarket spoiler
Old 05-15-15, 09:12 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyMtz
My Rx has been fully retrofitted with projectors, mine came from factory with the leveling motors and hid's bit of a PITA but I got it done, now as you said the Rx without factory hid's has a 9006 bulb, I did my dad's a while back and it took less than 10 minutes to get it set up, all you need is a 10 mm socket to remove windshield wash fill neak, now all you do is remove the old bulb's put in the hid bulb connect bulb's to ballasts, find a location to stick, bolt or zip tie ballast to (you're choice) then connect ballests to oem wires that went to stock bulbs, my dad's car has no problems with the 55w hid kit I put on it (halogen were rated at 55 watts aswell), I highly suggest a retrofit like mine, much more usable light, and really sharp cutoff, anyways if you put hid's in you will have to adjust and lower the headlights, there is bolt behind the headlight, there is also alot of light scatter cause the lens are not ment for hid's and you might get flashed, there is a big difference in lighting and if you install a pair in the fogs it's just awsome. it was 50$ a kit and have been on there for about 3 years and have had no problems, (if you get a kit make sure it's a AC current kit the DC current ones kill the hid bulb's real fast due to voltage fluctuations) pm me If you need more info
Very cool Hawk!; I will have to consider doing that to mine once I get more allocated funds to do so. Like i said very cool though!

Quick Reply: What was the first modification (if any) on your RX300?