RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

ABS help

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-06, 12:37 AM
gp1200x
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS help

I'm trying to fix an ABS problem on my 99 RX.

The light is on as soon my the car starts...even while in park before any movement even occurs. I hooked up a pretty good code reader to it and it shows no code error or malfunction. This is a pretty good unit (Actron) so I'm surprised that it says no malfunctions occurred with the vehicle and no codes are pending. (I'm trying to see if I can review all the PID data still.)

I checked the 60amp fuse # 45 and it is okay. Any other ideas to look for? Somehow I have to get a reading to tell me where the malfunction is...like maybe a broken sensor wire.

I haven't flushed and bled the brakes yet but will in a day or two when I change the pads, which are not that bad yet but don't like the pedal....spongy.

Looking for my CD manual..hopefully it will have a schematic for the wiring.

If I need to get this to pass inspection will it fail if the ABS light is on?

If so ..... if I yank the dash bulb I don't think the inspection center will know since my OBD reader doesn't show a problem....so how could they be able to tell without the bulb lit?

Thanks
Old 11-25-06, 09:27 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

A few questions

Ignoring the warning lamp, how are the brakes? I could not comprehend from your post about pedal being sponggy or NOT.

Which lamp is lit up? Post picture or describe the exact symbol.

I have no idea what your state/county checks.

All motorist should know this, the first time you insert the key and turn it to run positon, all warning lamps should light up. This should be a part of flight safety check.

Salim
Old 11-25-06, 10:03 PM
gp1200x
Rookie

I don't like the feel of the pedal but it's been that way a while. Poor stopping power and the pedal travels too far I think. I have new ceramic pads for all wheels...replaced once before...will also replace the entire brake fluid too and bleed the entire system.

The light that is on is the ABS light...center light under the RPM gauge (second lamp from the right side). It is not the BRAKE lamp, that is under the center of the speedo.

All the lamps come on when the key is turned on, after the engine starts the ABS lamp does not go off. Someone told me to top off the fluid and reseat the ABS connector in the engine compartment.

I will do all these things tomorrow and replace the brakes and bleed the system, but I have doubts it will turn the lamp off. Unfortunately the dealer or a garage with a more sophisticated reader may be required to pull the codes.....there appears to be another hookup to the right and behind the OBD reader codes.
Old 11-26-06, 06:13 AM
salimshah

You had already diagnosed the problem, but I was trying to make sure that the right lamp is lighting up.

Other than for sharing the knowledge, my reference to all warning lamps turning on, was that a smart tech can spot what is not working (in your case what has been disabled) when you take your RX for inspection.

I have not had a reason to bleed brakes on RX. GS Forum talks about requiring a special service controller to override the ABS to bleed air out. At least one post in GS forum stated that regular bleeding technique of farthest to closest from master cylender did not work for him. Although it will cost you more, but a trip to the dealer seems like the best thing to do. They can even do the State Inspection for you.

Salim
Old 11-26-06, 09:30 AM
gp1200x
Rookie

? I've bled the brakes in the past and don't remember having any problems bleeding then, even with the ABS, but I ordered a few manuals to see what they recommend.

If I had to remove the lamp to get it to pass inspection I don't think any shop around here would be wise enough to know what is going on..and their readers would not show a problem either since they basically use the same OBD reader that I have.

I do not trust my dealers since every time I take it to them they literally screw something else up or break something. Very incompetent dealerships...Albany NY ....

The only one that was truly helpful once was the one in Mahwah NJ....who found my tranny leak, tiny pinhole leak near the reverse channel, and told me what epoxy to use to fix it to save $6K.

If I have to I will take it to them to get a reading of what the ABS code is showing as bad.
Old 11-26-06, 12:33 PM
salimshah

Solenoids in the abs pump may need to be in a special position to remove air in the pump. The air in the tubes can be purged by regular process.

Typically the inspector checks for maximum pedal travel. With the vehicle running (power booster running), the inspector pushes down on the pedal till it stops travelling (no pumping of brake pedal). The left toe of the inspector should easily go underneath the depressed pedal.

Why spend energy and time in fooling with the warning light. (disabling and later re-eanbling it). Since you have a hard failure, go ahead and get it fixed. By beiing on the road in this condition, you are putting your loved ones or some one elses in possible harm.

If a dealerhip gave you bad service, talk to the service manager. You can also try going to another dealership.

Salim
Old 11-26-06, 05:00 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think pulling the ABS bulb will get you through inspection. In NJ they actually do a check to make sure all indicator lamps are working. I am not absolutley sure but I believe the "ABS" light is you code. There are no additional codes to be pulled with a reader.
Others have had the ABS sensor ring on the axle fail. This is a expensive repair and some have decided to go without ABS by pulling the ABS breaker rather than having it repaired. Do asearch for more info. Hopefully, this is not your problem. The usual indication of the sensor failure is activation of the ABS whenever the brakes are applied and I don't believe the ABS light comes on.
Old 11-26-06, 09:10 PM
gp1200x
Rookie

I'm in NY and many of the inspection stations are pretty shakey. They are suppose to check the brakes....but I know they have never pulled any drums off my cars that have rear drums.

Since the ABS light comes on and states on, the computer must be sensing a missing voltage somewhere...liike from a wheel sensor or possible the ABS motor. Once I have the schematic I may be able to figure out more. There has to be more of a code reading from the computer though, otherwise the Lexus mechanics would have to keep swapping parts out until they found the problem.

I had the schematics for this car three years ago and now I can't find them of course.
Old 11-27-06, 07:36 AM
justfixit
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you sure that your code reader is checking ABS codes or just checking powertrain codes? Most handheld checkers are only checking OBDII codes which does not check ABS. Try the following just in case.
Good luck

Last edited by justfixit; 12-08-06 at 09:16 AM.