Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Coolant DIY

Old 12-22-13, 05:14 PM   #91
aznlapin
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

Default Uh-oh! Empty reservoir

Hey everyone.
So two nights ago I went ahead and changed my coolant with 50/50 Toyota Red and distilled water, plus Purple Ice. I got the radiator plug and rear plug to drain fine. Tried the front plug, but apparently it was rounded, which meant it was impossible to open. Whatever, I still got about 8-8.5L to drain out. I Poured back in a gallon of Red and just over a gallon of water. That filled the radiator and the reservoir to the max. The math worked out, so it seemed fine.

Checked the next day, the level was still good. Went on a 70 mile drive. Didn't check the coolant level after getting home. Just checked it tonight after a short drive (5miles) and noticed the reservoir was completely empty (below L line). Immediately refilled reservoir with 50/50 mix.
PS: The temperature needle never went above halfway...

Now for the questions:
1) Did I do any damage by driving with the coolant reservoir empty?
2) Is it normal to lose that much coolant in 36 hours? (Never had a leak before)

I made sure to tighten all the plugs, except for the already rounded one... but I'll double check if they are leaking tomorrow.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
aznlapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-13, 06:11 PM   #92
fastnoypi
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznlapin View Post
Hey everyone.
So two nights ago I went ahead and changed my coolant with 50/50 Toyota Red and distilled water, plus Purple Ice. I got the radiator plug and rear plug to drain fine. Tried the front plug, but apparently it was rounded, which meant it was impossible to open. Whatever, I still got about 8-8.5L to drain out. I Poured back in a gallon of Red and just over a gallon of water. That filled the radiator and the reservoir to the max. The math worked out, so it seemed fine.

Checked the next day, the level was still good. Went on a 70 mile drive. Didn't check the coolant level after getting home. Just checked it tonight after a short drive (5miles) and noticed the reservoir was completely empty (below L line). Immediately refilled reservoir with 50/50 mix.
PS: The temperature needle never went above halfway...

Now for the questions:
1) Did I do any damage by driving with the coolant reservoir empty?
2) Is it normal to lose that much coolant in 36 hours? (Never had a leak before)

I made sure to tighten all the plugs, except for the already rounded one... but I'll double check if they are leaking tomorrow.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
you should be fine, you probably had some air pockets but after your drive, the natural vacuum effect pulled coolant from your reservoir back into the engine.
fastnoypi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-13, 07:46 PM   #93
aznlapin
Rookie

That makes me feel a lot better. Thanks

If I see anything amiss tomorrow I'll report back
Old 12-23-13, 01:27 PM   #94
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Happened to me and that's why I think I mentioned carrying the jugs of water and checking it out for a few days after.
Old 12-25-13, 07:01 PM   #95
aznlapin
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexmex View Post
Happened to me and that's why I think I mentioned carrying the jugs of water and checking it out for a few days after.
Yes, you did in your DIY. Funny thing is that I had a gallon of distilled water sitting in the back seat, but totally forgot about checking the reservoir level until I got home.
Lesson learned.
Old 12-26-13, 08:26 AM   #96
salimshah

Bit of caution in winter months ..

Dont be in a hurry to bring the overflow reservoir to cold level with just distilled water. If the overflow reservoir has predominant amount of water it can freeze.
First make sure your level under the radiator cap is full [here you can add water ... assuming there is enough concentrate in there.

So you must mix with concentrate or build it up slowly by letting it sucked in and out of the engine side.

Salim
salimshah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 03:57 PM   #97
Khalidch
Driver School Candidate

At Walmart prestone is available and my rx is already using that prestone coolant.so i want to change the coolant .is it necessary to flush/clean the radiator before putting the new coolant or just flush and redline +prestone+water will do the trick. I the most importantly i want to thank Lexmex Salimshah tuned rx and all others who contributed in and made mine and other lexus owners life easier.
Khalidch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 04:27 PM   #98
salimshah

Thank you for the complement, in reality we just choose to write more often. [That includes the increased possibility of writing wrong stuff ,,, only applicable to me ]. We value all contributors.

How old is the current coolant and are there suspended particles in the coolant?

If there are particles, then I would say flush. Else do a complete drain (from block and radiator) and fill.

Instead of tap water, please get distilled water. Not a must but reduces build-up.

Personally, I would give a few more $$ to get toyota red. I cheat a bit and do not run 50-50 mix. I do about 1:1.25

Redline additive is a great product. Not sure how beneficial it will be to a daily driver RX. Wetter breaks down the surface tension which helps in better heat transfer. I think there is always plenty of cooler fluid in the radiator.

Salim
salimshah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 04:49 PM   #99
Khalidch
Driver School Candidate

That is really quick Salimshah .Thank you man i found u always there when someone really need advice.That make you peoples efforts more value able .so i should get Toyota-red redline and distilled water .is it matter if some of the green stuff remains there some where trapped.??
Khalidch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 04:49 PM

Tags
45, additives, coolant, coolnat, diy, drain, engine, images, is350, lexus, plug, plugs, rx300, rx350, toyota