RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

help needed for aftermarket stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 01:55 PM
edgy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help needed for aftermarket stereo install

Hi folks.... I need to understand how you guys do aftermarket Stereo installs on this car (2002 RX).... since the radio controls are connected to the Climate controls... ( What the heck!)

Are there aftermarket (Scosche/Mettra) or JDM type dash kits available like we can usually find for the IS etc...? any CLEAN way to separate the Climate controls & add in a Single Din sized HU...?

Thanks for the help!!!

Also, any one with experience doing installs like this on this car in the So Cali area, i would love to talk about enlisting your help in gettign this done .... i'd like to rely on some one who has done this before....

Thank You

edward
Old 09-15-06, 04:10 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Check the audio video sub-forum.

Need to be aware that the Lexus system includes serial link [proprietary protocal] along with the audio signals. The audio signals at pre-level are differntial [l+/l-, r+/r-] and the levels are non standard [not same as pre-out].

You also dont have a din slot.

Speakers are the easiest to upgrade, followed by adding additional Amp + speakers.

Salim
Old 09-15-06, 08:44 PM
Andrax
Driver School Candidate

Somewhere (not sure if it was here), I saw that someone had taken the factory stereo/climate control piece and moved it down to be directly behind the automatic shifter lever (where the lighter and seat warmer buttons would be). In this position the climate controls worked as intended. In the area where the stereo/climate controls had been he had installed an Alpine or similar head unit and something else... dvd.... can't recall.

I realize that's wildly unhelpful in and of itself, but at least it's an indiciation of what you can do with enough time and money.
Old 09-16-06, 06:57 AM
PolarBear
Driver School Candidate

edgy, check this thread out......

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222372
Old 09-18-06, 11:07 AM
edgy
Lead Lap

Thanks guys & i saw that thread but i didnt really like the AC & stereo stuff mounted in that lower bin area as was done in those pics..... i dont think my wife will go for that ..... Too different
Old 09-18-06, 11:13 AM
edgy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Andrax
Somewhere (not sure if it was here), I saw that someone had taken the factory stereo/climate control piece and moved it down to be directly behind the automatic shifter lever (where the lighter and seat warmer buttons would be). In this position the climate controls worked as intended. In the area where the stereo/climate controls had been he had installed an Alpine or similar head unit and something else... dvd.... can't recall.

I realize that's wildly unhelpful in and of itself, but at least it's an indiciation of what you can do with enough time and money.

Now that is exactly what i was thinking of & would be optimal for me....
it would be perfect as we have nothing in that spot now no heated seats etcetc...

I assume you have to very cleanly CUT the AC./Climate controls off the Stereo control face plate...?
Old 09-18-06, 01:02 PM
Andrax
Driver School Candidate

I cant find the thread (it was on a different site) but I don't believe that anything was cut off the factory lexus stereo/climate controls. It looked from the photo like the pulled it straight out of the original position and put it right behind the shifter.

I appologize that i'm so light on the details. I will try to track the exact link down this week and if I can find it post it up for you so you can see it for yourself.