RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
View Poll Results: Has the transmission on your 1999 RX300 failed?
My transmission has not failed to date
78.85%
My transmission failed under warranty - Lexus paid repair
3.85%
My transmission failed out of warranty- I paid repairs
15.38%
My transmission failed out of warranty- Lexus paid repair (goodwill)
1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission failure 1999 Rx300 AWD poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-06, 11:59 PM
nautilex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 300 Transmission

Folks, what are your opinions on transmission coolers? Is adding one likely to reduce the risk of failures on the RX?

I bought a '99 RX to replace my Windstar minivan when the transmission failed this year. It had 345,000 km on it and I often towed trailers weighing up to 2000 lbs. Mechanics told me I did very well to get that many kilometres on the Windstar, as the Ford transmissions frequently die between 150 k and 200 k. One fellow thought the transmission cooler (part of the Windstar towing package) was a significant factor in the tranny lasting that long.

I have no choice but to tow with the Lexus. My other vehicle is a four-cylinder Mazda 626 w auto trans, definitely not a towing candidate.
Old 09-24-06, 04:21 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

If you tow then cooler would be a must, [is part of the tow package].

For others, it might help. The cooler essentially helps in dissipating heat and with lower temp the fluid life is extended.

Where it may not help is the extended time to reach optimum temp. This causes the trans to remain in low gear.

Some one, please correct me .... there is no bye-pass to the cooler.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 09-24-06 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-24-06, 06:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I agree...it is a must have.

If you visit the ES forum and do a search on this subject...a lot of people also want to get the cooler to help their trannies. Some of the ES models use a similar though slightly less powerful version of our 1MZFE engines.

This is a picture from the front on the passenger side. Will show a rear picture in the next one.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission failure 1999 Rx300 AWD poll-img_0669.jpg  
Old 09-24-06, 06:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

And this from the front passenger side wheel well.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission failure 1999 Rx300 AWD poll-img_0812.jpg  
Old 09-24-06, 03:56 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
If you tow then cooler would be a must, [is part of the tow package].

For others, it might help. The cooler essentially helps in dissipating heat and with lower temp the fluid life is extended.

Where it may not help is the extended time to reach optimum temp. This causes the trans to remain in low gear.

Some one, please correct me .... there is no bye-pass to the cooler.

Salim
There is no by-pass on the cooler, also the transmission filter has no by-pass valve (like those inside engine oil filters). One never want either of these critical paths for ATF to be clogged.
One frequently omitted practice is to drain the ATF to get rid of metal debris inside the cooler and its hoses so ATF can circulate freely.
The other important thing to remember that magnets in the pan only attract ferrous debris, they do NOT retain copper shaving from bearings and aluminum particles from components inside torque convertor.
That is why I am seriously considering installing an inline transmission filter on the cooler return line to the transmission. Think about it, where do these Al and Cu debris go?
Old 09-25-06, 07:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

It would be a great idea to do an external filter. I though about the next time I do a drain and fill to use one of those coffee filters to see if any gold so to speak comes out in the filter...that would not of course attach to the magnets or even find its way to the bottom of the pan.
Old 09-25-06, 07:06 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lexmex
And this from the front passenger side wheel well.
I want to add that this cooler does get hot...I usually have to toss a little water on it from behind when I arrive at the track.
Old 09-25-06, 04:49 PM
nautilex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks folks; Especially to lexmex for the photos. Because of the pictures I discovered today that in fact I already have a tranny cooler. I never would have looked in that location. I thought they were always placed in front of or just below the radiator.

By the way, does everyone have the issue of the transmission not shifting into 3rd gear first thing in the morning until you've driven about a mile?

l
Old 09-25-06, 05:54 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is normal for the transmission to hang in second gear for a bit to assist in warm up if the catalytic converters. It will do this till the temperature gauge reaches the first mark.
Old 09-25-06, 06:39 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I know about that all too well. I generally have to wait a minimum of 3 to 4 minutes when I start up my RX at the track before I can let her rip down the track.
Old 09-25-06, 06:59 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I am just wondering, my parents have 2000 toyota avalon and 2002 toyota sienna, which have the same engine as the RX300. Does anyone know if they share the same transmissions?
Old 09-25-06, 09:49 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I know about that all too well. I generally have to wait a minimum of 3 to 4 minutes when I start up my RX at the track before I can let her rip down the track.
To mimimize pollution, it is reccomended that ppl drive rather than idle to warm up. One of the possible cause of problem is when ppl live next to highway, and they have to merge in traffic, doing 60mph +, without allowing sufficient time to warm-up.

Is there a temp sensor to monitor trans fluid temprature? If so what does it control?

It seems the warmp up 3rd gear release is based on coolant temprature. [stand still idle should help the 3rd gear release .... well not the pollution]

Salim
Old 09-26-06, 04:20 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by salimshah
To mimimize pollution, it is reccomended that ppl drive rather than idle to warm up. One of the possible cause of problem is when ppl live next to highway, and they have to merge in traffic, doing 60mph +, without allowing sufficient time to warm-up.

Is there a temp sensor to monitor trans fluid temprature? If so what does it control?

It seems the warmp up 3rd gear release is based on coolant temprature. [stand still idle should help the 3rd gear release .... well not the pollution]

Salim
There is an A/T Temp Light on the dash. When I start out in the morning. I just turned it on and a few seconds later back out and am on my way. I am usually a good half mile away before the temp. is good enough to open up the other gears.
Old 09-26-06, 08:35 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a 99 RX300 AWD w/92k miles on the odo w/no problems thus far and i DO NOT like the things im reading in this post should i purchase an aftermarket warranty now??
Old 09-26-06, 08:58 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by varcity64
i have a 99 RX300 AWD w/92k miles on the odo w/no problems thus far and i DO NOT like the things im reading in this post should i purchase an aftermarket warranty now??

No!,

just have the trani fluid properly serviced by Toyota or Lexus and keep receipts of trani service.

Quick Reply: Transmission failure 1999 Rx300 AWD poll