RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Brakes, pads and rotors? Help Please.

Old 08-18-08, 08:55 PM
rx300s415
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have actually been doing reading/debating(with myself) whether or not to try some rotors from eBay. I bumped into this one seller (with his own website/company) selling drilled+slotted rotors (for the front) for about $112 shipped. I decided to give them a go and ordered the Akebono Pro-Ceramic's off of RockAuto. I'll be putting these on as soon as I get them. I'll report back in a week or so.
Old 10-28-08, 01:25 PM
ParkLewis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
I have been reading up on rx300 brake maintenance on this forum. I have a 2001 RX300 and it had the original stock brakes with 66,000 miles. The front pads were worn down to the "screechers" so it was definitely time to replace the brakes.

I bought the front and rear Akebono Pro-Ceramic pads from RockAuto based on the recommendations on this forum. I was going to buy replacement rotors too but I decided to inspect mine first. I ended up having my original stock front rotors re-cut (turned) at a local machine shop and reinstalled them along with the new Akebono's. My rear rotors were too far gone and I ended up buying some "made in China" rear rotors from the parts counter at my local parts store. I am the type that likes to buy the best or near the best quality parts for my car.....so it was a bit of a gamble, at least for me, to buy the China rotors, especially since with my discount they were about $20 each. I figured if there was one piece of the brake system to skimp on it's the rear rotors. It was worth a shot.

So I installed them and now the set-up on my RX is - rear brakes are the new made in China rotors and the new ceramic Akebono's, front brakes are the turned, original rotors and the new Akebono's, and it's working out great so far. I have about 1,000 miles on this setup and it works just like new.....no noticeable noise increase, brake dust is minimal, and no brake fade or shimmies or anything other than the norm. So far so good. I will report back once I rack up some more miles.

Please note: after installing the new parts I did a break-in procedure where I braked firmly from about 45-50mph down to about 5mph 7 or 8 consecutive times. It helped that there is a deserted industrial park nearby with empty roads. Search online for a more detailed guide to the break-in procedure, there was a little more to it than I mention here.

This is about as budget as it gets, so I just wanted to share this in case others were considering a similar set-up. Thanks for the advice all of you have been posting.
Old 10-28-08, 01:31 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ParkLewis
Hi everyone,
I have been reading up on rx300 brake maintenance on this forum. I have a 2001 RX300 and it had the original stock brakes with 66,000 miles. The front pads were worn down to the "screechers" so it was definitely time to replace the brakes.

I bought the front and rear Akebono Pro-Ceramic pads from RockAuto based on the recommendations on this forum. I was going to buy replacement rotors too but I decided to inspect mine first. I ended up having my original stock front rotors re-cut (turned) at a local machine shop and reinstalled them along with the new Akebono's. My rear rotors were too far gone and I ended up buying some "made in China" rear rotors from the parts counter at my local parts store. I am the type that likes to buy the best or near the best quality parts for my car.....so it was a bit of a gamble, at least for me, to buy the China rotors, especially since with my discount they were about $20 each. I figured if there was one piece of the brake system to skimp on it's the rear rotors. It was worth a shot.

So I installed them and now the set-up on my RX is - rear brakes are the new made in China rotors and the new ceramic Akebono's, front brakes are the turned, original rotors and the new Akebono's, and it's working out great so far. I have about 1,000 miles on this setup and it works just like new.....no noticeable noise increase, brake dust is minimal, and no brake fade or shimmies or anything other than the norm. So far so good. I will report back once I rack up some more miles.

Please note: after installing the new parts I did a break-in procedure where I braked firmly from about 45-50mph down to about 5mph 7 or 8 consecutive times. It helped that there is a deserted industrial park nearby with empty roads. Search online for a more detailed guide to the break-in procedure, there was a little more to it than I mention here.

This is about as budget as it gets, so I just wanted to share this in case others were considering a similar set-up. Thanks for the advice all of you have been posting.
Welcome to the Club.

Interested to hear that your rear rotors needed to be replaced (usually the other way around). Did they find any burn marks on the rear rotors or were they just to worn down?
Old 10-30-08, 09:31 PM
zzorro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hitthepin
Hi, I've been a registered member for while but this is my first post. I wanted to say thanks to everyone that contributes here as I've learned a lot.

With that said I hoping someone here can help me out with brakes. I'm gonna do the brake job myself, so I'm looking for advice on just buying the parts.

I called the dealer and they want approx. $900 just for pads and rotors. Does this sound right?!?!?

I changed the brakes on my fathers Mercedes and pads, rotors and sensors were only $575 and that was on a ML series SUV so I thought its comparable.

Also reading some of the threads, some owners have used irotors.com? Are they good. Are they better than dealer/factory? Are there pads that work best with these? This is for a 2002 Rx300 AWD.

I'd appreciate your help. Part numbers for pads and rotors would be great too. Thanks.

Hello All,
Newbie here. I am the second owner of a 1999 RX300 AWD with over120,000 miles on it. I have used irotors parts for my 05 pt cruiser and 06 350z for about 3.5 years now and havent had a problem with them. Great parts.I say better than factory.