RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Brakes, pads and rotors? Help Please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-06, 03:25 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You need to remove entire (front and rear) calipers when replacing rotors, the difference of front and rear is how pistons are compressed back to calipers: the front ones you can do with C clamp, the rear ones (at least from what I read) need to be twisted and compressed. I did not risk the need for a special tool so I did not remove the rear pads - calipers are taken off with pads still attached and I just put the entire thing back on the new rear rotor.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 09-25-06 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-25-06, 05:40 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 99-02 rear brake is removed by removing the bottom slider bolt. The caliper slides off the upper slider bolt and the pads are removed. The cup is just pressed in gently, monitoring the fluid level at the master cylinder.

Then the caliper mounting bolts are removed and the caliper base is lifted away from the disk.

Insuring the parking brake is released, work the disk off the parking brake shoes.

Reassemble using brake caliper grease in and on the slider bolts, shims and pads.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...caliper+torque
Old 09-25-06, 07:57 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
You need to remove entire (front and rear) calipers when replacing rotors, the difference of front and rear is how pistons are compressed back to calipers: the front ones you can do with C clamp, the rear ones (at least from what I read) need to be twisted and compressed. I did not risk the need for a special tool so I did not remove the rear pads - calipers are taken off with pads still attached and I just put the entire thing back on the new rear rotor.
ok, so i kinda get this and it makes some sense to me (but doesnt really answer my question, but did give me some VALUABLE info... i didnt know about the twisting for rear brakes, but i know how its done)... but im confused by this...

Originally Posted by Tammy
The 99-02 rear brake is removed by removing the bottom slider bolt. The caliper slides off the upper slider bolt and the pads are removed. The cup is just pressed in gently, monitoring the fluid level at the master cylinder.

Then the caliper mounting bolts are removed and the caliper base is lifted away from the disk.

Insuring the parking brake is released, work the disk off the parking brake shoes.

Reassemble using brake caliper grease in and on the slider bolts, shims and pads.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...caliper+torque
when u say work the disk off the parking brake, are u referring to the rotor
Old 09-25-06, 09:14 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Pardon ... the disk and rotor are the same component.

To say again, "work the rotor off the parking brake shoes."
Old 09-30-06, 10:29 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Due to a mix up I'm still waiting on my rotors. Top of that, one set of the pads that came in had to be sent back cause it wasn't new.
Old 09-30-06, 11:13 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hitthepin
Due to a mix up I'm still waiting on my rotors. Top of that, one set of the pads that came in had to be sent back cause it wasn't new.
Sorry to hear that, did Rockauto send you used pads?
Old 10-01-06, 10:16 AM
hitthepin
Driver

They did send me the pads, but I have to exchange the front ones. Not sure if it was repacked poorly or if the cellophane broke during shipping, but they looked like they've been bouncing inside the box pretty hard.

The rotors, there was some sort of snafu. Something happened with the order and they're only able to ship the front ones for the time being. So soon I'll have front rotors with rear pads.

However, I have no complaints of either company. Both have excellent service and I'll order from them again. Just one of those things that happen I guess.
Old 10-01-06, 10:41 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

A little gentle reminder when changing the front inner pads. You will need to move the wear pointer or indicator from the old inner pad to the new one prior to reinstalling...
Old 10-01-06, 11:08 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tammy
A little gentle reminder when changing the front inner pads. You will need to move the wear pointer or indicator from the old inner pad to the new one prior to reinstalling...
Not with Akebono, wear indicator is integrated with the pad. OEM has the clip on wear indicator but all hitthepin has to do is slap the pads on and save the OEM wear indicators (if he plans to go back to OEM).
Old 10-01-06, 06:16 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Another good piece of imformation. Thanks.
Old 10-12-06, 01:17 PM
hitthepin
Driver

An entire month goes by and lots of aggravation and no rotors in sight. Frustration is getting the better of me now and I have to "at the least" say that StreetBeatCustoms dropped the ball on this one.

In no way, shape or form am I discouraging anyone from ordering from them, but I do feel it necessary to tell people, "Buyer Beware". Get everything in writing and make certain of their return policy, which btw is HORRIFYING!

Yes, they are trying to resolve this situation, but to their satisfaction, not customers.

Mean while I've been charged in full for parts that they have yet to deliver.
Old 10-12-06, 03:08 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

That has to be frustrating for you and you still need brakes! I ordered Brembo cross drilled rotors (F/R) (speedydynamic.com) from eBay and Akebono pads from radiatorwarehouse.com which are scheduled for delivery today. The Brembos are scheduled for the 16th.

Of course, they're not in my hands but at least the shipper has them (lol, or at least boxes with my name on them )

I hope this works out for you soon. I'll report back with my experience with these two vendors.
Old 10-12-06, 03:56 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Well, the pads arrived, different stock number for my '01 though. They are shrink wrapped to cardboard, did your's break loose from that?

Old 10-12-06, 06:31 PM
hitthepin
Driver

The pads I ordered were through a different supplier, RockAuto. They were EXCELLET! I wish they had the rotors I wanted.

My rotors were ordered through StreetBeatCustoms and there is absolutely NO QUESTION that they sent me the wrong parts and it was tampered with prior to arriving at my doorstep. The part number on the box sticker is correct, however what was in the box was far different. It was confirmed.

Again, I'm not trying to point fingers. Just warning people here they should make sure of the return policy and ask question before they order and possibly get it in writing through email.

I just spoke to someone in the Admin office there today. Explained the situation to him and he said: "I don't know why the previous gentleman(name left out on purpose) told you what he did.". I am now going through him to resolve this issue. I'm he will step up and do something.
Old 10-12-06, 09:07 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hitthepin
The pads I ordered were through a different supplier, RockAuto. They were EXCELLET! I wish they had the rotors I wanted.

My rotors were ordered through StreetBeatCustoms and there is absolutely NO QUESTION that they sent me the wrong parts and it was tampered with prior to arriving at my doorstep. The part number on the box sticker is correct, however what was in the box was far different. It was confirmed.

Again, I'm not trying to point fingers. Just warning people here they should make sure of the return policy and ask question before they order and possibly get it in writing through email.

I just spoke to someone in the Admin office there today. Explained the situation to him and he said: "I don't know why the previous gentleman(name left out on purpose) told you what he did.". I am now going through him to resolve this issue. I'm he will step up and do something.
Sorry to hear they send you the wrong rotors, as I indicated in my PM, if they send you an replacement, you are more than happy to see what is installed on my RX (rear rotors only). Just PM me.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 10-12-06 at 09:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Brakes, pads and rotors? Help Please.