RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Service: Independant vs. Toyota vs. Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-06, 10:37 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service: Independant vs. Toyota vs. Lexus

So I have been meaning to do my front and rear differential fluid change for awhile now.

FIrst I went the cheap route, bought 2 quarts of Redline Synthetic 75W-90 and a hand pump. Figured I save some bucks and do it myself. Well after burning my hands under the diff and cursing out loud, and remembering everyone at Club Lexus who said it was a miserable job. I gave up.

First, I called an independant mechanic that services our Del Sol. Cost for front and rear diffs:
$176 at On Time Auto in San Diego.

I thought that was ridiculous so I decided I would just take it in to Mossy Toyota to have them do it in San Diego. Their cost $59.00 each axel, so about $118.

I was all set to drop it off when I decided, what the heck, I know Lexus is going to be the most expensive, but I called Lexus of Kearny Mesa anyway. Their price? $89.00 for both front and rear.

I was surprised Lexus was the cheapest, then Toyota, THEN the independant. Now I get to enjoy the Lexus lounge, eat some free food, watch the plasma on the leather couches, and get a car wash and test drive a loaner. Can't beat that, Lexus has such awesome customer service, I love them!!!
Old 08-10-06, 03:59 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyota dealers don't really want to service Lexus cars any more. Over a year ago, Toyota corporate decided that Toyota dealers can't order Lexus-only parts. (I used to buy Lexus parts at the closer and cheaper Toyota dealer; one day they said they can't do that any more. I called a couple other Toyota dealers and got the same answer.) It's some sort of shift in the corporate mindset to reinforce the exclusivity of the Lexus brand. You can still go to a Toyota dealer in an abosulte emergency if they're closest, but otherwise your Lexus should be going to a Lexus dealer.

I've also noticed that the local Toyota dealer has changed their advertised service specials to read "Toyota vehicles only." Other forum members have also posted that a Toyota dealer has charged a "Lexus premium" for service work.

It's too bad, because Lexus and Toyota both use the same drivetrains. The guys at the Toyota dealer should know what they're doing.
Old 08-10-06, 05:11 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It looks like a marketing policy on the part of Toyota/Lexus to protect the Lexus dealer network. I can't really blame them for that, but there are parts of the country that still don't have a Lexus dealer nearby - making access to service inconvenient. I know six years ago we had whole states, particularly in the western US where Lexus was unknown, but Toyota dealers were pretty good about handling emergencies . . . . even if they weren't entirely familiar with the Lexus product

Until they have coverage in these areas, I would hope T/L is making exceptions to the policy - after all having to drive for two or three hours for an oil change is pretty inconvenient.
Old 08-10-06, 06:47 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Lexus parts are not even connected into the Toyota system down here, but they used to be able to get them intercompany. Now, it is just like asking them as a friend to have someone buy it and bring it down. I have family members ship any parts down here.
Old 08-10-06, 10:55 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rxdriver
Toyota dealers don't really want to service Lexus cars any more. Over a year ago, Toyota corporate decided that Toyota dealers can't order Lexus-only parts. (I used to buy Lexus parts at the closer and cheaper Toyota dealer; one day they said they can't do that any more. I called a couple other Toyota dealers and got the same answer.) It's some sort of shift in the corporate mindset to reinforce the exclusivity of the Lexus brand. You can still go to a Toyota dealer in an abosulte emergency if they're closest, but otherwise your Lexus should be going to a Lexus dealer.

I've also noticed that the local Toyota dealer has changed their advertised service specials to read "Toyota vehicles only." Other forum members have also posted that a Toyota dealer has charged a "Lexus premium" for service work.

It's too bad, because Lexus and Toyota both use the same drivetrains. The guys at the Toyota dealer should know what they're doing.
I didn't even tell Toyota it was an RX300, I told them it was a AWD Highlander.
Old 08-10-06, 07:52 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
I didn't even tell Toyota it was an RX300, I told them it was a AWD Highlander.

I had the local Toyota service advisor try to tell me the RX didn't come up as one of their cars and the rates woud be increase due to " non Toyota vehicle."

After having a soft spoken talk with him advising that he better reconsider who he's trying to convince the vehicle I drive was a non Toyota vehicle, he decided to honour the Toyota prices and apply the highlander rates.

As a rule of thumb, my experience so far has been that the same work using the same parts at Toyota service dept vs. Lexus is 50% cheaper.

Yes, 50%, ie:
brakes pads replacement and rotors and fluid flush and caliper service at Toyota is $920- Lexus wanted $1447.00 CAD

Exhaust manifold crack replacement with new manifold, Toyota wanted $515-
Lexus wanted $980.00 CAD

I'm not telling anyone to stop buying Lexus, just saying if your not a diy kind of person and have a Lexus out of warranty and still want dealer service while saving a few bucks, try Toyota service...

Oh ya, almost forgot,
I have never gotten $.01 discount at lexus service and Toyota routinely gives me 10% off parts and another 10% off labour
Old 08-14-06, 08:27 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default Worst Lexus Service Ever!!!!

I am so pissed right now.

Remember how happy and looking forward to my Lexus visit I was this morning? Well I just got back. Total BAIT AND SWITCH. The advisor, CHRIS, told me $89.00 over the phone, but when I went there and signed the bill IT WAS NOW $140!!!@$%$@%

I am so pissed at them I plan to rip Kearny Mesa Lexus a new one on their survey card.

I would have been better off not canceling my Toyota appointment. Very very irate at the whole Toyota family right now.

Last edited by toy4two; 08-14-06 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-14-06, 08:38 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did they replace the gear fluid in both the transfer and differential to your satisfaction?

Why the difference between the $90 and $140 (aside from $50 shop fee) ?
Old 08-14-06, 09:23 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I am so pissed right now.

Remember how happy and looking forward to my Lexus visit I was this morning? Well I just got back. Total BAIT AND SWITCH. The advisor, CHRIS, told me $89.00 over the phone, but when I went there and signed the bill IT WAS NOW $1401!!@$%$@%

I am so pissed at them I plan to rip Kearny Mesa Lexus a new one on their survey card.

I would have been better off not canceling my Toyota appointment. Very very irate at the whole Toyota family right now.
The binding agreement works like this .....

You may call or drive in or what ever but the service writer is supposed to
write up a ticket (which you sign) with estimated repair/service cost. You also give the shop permission to take possesion of your car [your insurance
covers and damage/accident even if the shop is at fault]*. If the repair cost is going to be higher; as determined when they open your car up; the service
writer is supposed to call you and get authorization before making the "extra" repair.

* Usually the shop have their insurance and or out of good-will they repair the damage done at shop. But it the consent you sign is almsot like giving the car to your friend to drive.

Salim
Old 08-14-06, 09:54 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
The binding agreement works like this .....

You may call or drive in or what ever but the service writer is supposed to
write up a ticket (which you sign) with estimated repair/service cost. You also give the shop permission to take possesion of your car [your insurance
covers and damage/accident even if the shop is at fault]*. If the repair cost is going to be higher; as determined when they open your car up; the service
writer is supposed to call you and get authorization before making the "extra" repair.

* Usually the shop have their insurance and or out of good-will they repair the damage done at shop. But it the consent you sign is almsot like giving the car to your friend to drive.

Salim
Well Chris gave me a break of $10 under estimate, whoop tee doo.

Still irked they did this.

Of course I signed off on the estimate for $140, my car was already pulled into the bay and I was late to work and eager to get into the loaner car line.

The loaner experience is better than 2 years ago. Instead of having to pay $10 and getting a Corolla. This year the loaners are free and I got a ES330.

I will be taking off about $40 worth of rubber from the tires to make up the difference and won't be filling it up with any gas, also smoked some cigarettes in it. Score settled, at least I feel better even through I got scammed.

Last edited by toy4two; 08-14-06 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-14-06, 10:49 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Maybe there was typo $1401 vs $140.

Salim
Old 08-14-06, 12:16 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I will be taking off about $40 worth of rubber from the tires to make up the difference and won't be filling it up with any gas, also smoked some cigarettes in it. Score settled, at least I feel better even through I got scammed.
Lol, exactly what I did last year to my loaner and the horrible service they gave me at Lexus of Santa Monica
Old 08-14-06, 05:18 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh... you wanted to change the fluid.
The guy giving you the $89 estimate thought you wanted them to inspect the fluid.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I always read that fine print and put in my own max amount (usually rounding the estimate up to the nearest $10 multiple).
Old 08-14-06, 07:57 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
Maybe there was typo $1401 vs $140.

Salim
Yes, I meant to put an exclamation point, it should have been ! not 1. If it was $1401 you would be able to see the flames from LA as I would have torched the place, LOL!