RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2003 Rx300

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-01, 04:38 PM
redjeeper
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking 2003 Rx300

Has anyone seen any pictures of the 2003 RX. I am trying to decide if I want to go ahead and buy a 2002 or do I want to wait for the new one. If you have any pics, please post them here.
Old 10-08-01, 01:31 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's something......

Originally posted by redjeeper
Has anyone seen any pictures of the 2003 RX. I am trying to decide if I want to go ahead and buy a 2002 or do I want to wait for the new one. If you have any pics, please post them here.
I have a spy picture of what might be a prototype saved on my desktop as the wallpaper. I've just got to figure out how to post it here. If someone can guide me on how to do this it would be great!

I would recommend waiting for the 2003 for several reasons. The current flaws (TOO WIDE turning circle etc.) would be fixed, and I guess it will have all the goodies....Mark Levinson audio etc. etc....and I hope a little more power, plus a more aerodynamic body.
Old 10-08-01, 05:13 PM
sleepybobcat

Default Re: 2003 Rx300

Originally posted by redjeeper

I have a 2001 RX300....

The only thing that will keep me from getting
a 2003 model is the fact that the new vehicle will
be made in Canada... not Japan...

As much as I trust Toyota, I would never buy
a first production year vehicle from a brand new
manufacturing facility...

Just my $.02's worth....

Bob
Old 10-08-01, 08:09 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by vicpai

I have a spy picture of what might be a prototype saved on my desktop as the wallpaper. I've just got to figure out how to post it here. If someone can guide me on how to do this it would be great!

I would recommend waiting for the 2003 for several reasons. The current flaws (TOO WIDE turning circle etc.) would be fixed, and I guess it will have all the goodies....Mark Levinson audio etc. etc....and I hope a little more power, plus a more aerodynamic body.
To post the picture, you have to find the file. If it is on your desktop, chances are the file is saved under your C:/windows folder. If not, just to a search using the file name (hopefully you remember the file name). The file will be a .bmp format. You can open it up and save it as a .jpg file format and save it to your desktop for easy access.

Then post a message and use the "attach file" option at the bottom. Click on the browse button to locate the file on your desktop.

I'll be glad to help you further if my explanation didn't help I can post the picture tomorrow afternoon if you want - I have it on my computer at my dorm. I am going back there tomorrow.

-Nick
Attached Thumbnails 2003 Rx300-post.jpg  
Old 10-09-01, 04:08 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Lightbulb Here the spy shot.....

Thanks Nick for the guidance!

It took me a while to locate the file. It was buried somewhere, but I finally found it's location. Here it is:
Attached Thumbnails 2003 Rx300-2003rx.jpg  
Old 10-09-01, 04:10 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default To view the above picture......

.......I forgot to add one other thing. On some computers the picture may appear real dark and you may not be able to clearly see it. Turn up the brightness control on your monitor to FULL.

Vic
Old 10-09-01, 06:41 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

wow, that is a radical design, not what I expected. The rear looks somewhat like the new sportcross. When I covered the bottom half of the picture that's what I thought it was:eek:

Here is the picture I had - the one on the bottom looks like a photoshop job of the current RX, and the top picture isn't very new. I kind of like the styling cues.

-Nick
Attached Thumbnails 2003 Rx300-2003-rx.jpg  
Old 10-09-01, 07:33 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Thumbs down I think Lexus is just going wild....

.....I just don't understand why Lexus is coming out with these outrageous designs. They controlled themselves well with the new LS 430 which looks awesome. But the new '02 ES 300....that's a totally different story. Personally I think it's one of the ugliest car on the planet......it shouts cheap with no CLASS whatsoever. Did they replace all of those stylists that used to be the pride of Lexus designing cars befitting the marque (contemporary, sleek, elegant and stylish) with ones that just like to carve out wild, odd and outrageous shapes.....does a certain Korean manufacturer come to mind.....Yeah did someone say KIA
Old 10-09-01, 07:50 PM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

Yea.....The face on the new ES is a little over the edge....I like the basic shape and where the face was heading, but they went too far. The SC430 looks great to me(if you describe that as this "new generation" of lexus), but the new RX(if the picture is correct) lost its beauty! The sleek lines and curved body have been replaced with hard edges!! The direction it looks like they're heading is relatively good. Longer body, stronger, more masculine, looking. I hope this picture doesn't illustrate the new RX.

Old 10-09-01, 07:59 PM
eddyjoe
Driver School Candidate

those pictures are a little too outrageous to be real... i honestly do not believe that lexus will be changing the rx300 for 2003... most likely the change will come in for 2004... i own an rx300 and spoke to the manager of my dealership to see what was the status of the future of the rx... he told me "dont worry eddy, its not going to change for a while"... the gs300 will be the next car to change in the lexus lineup followed by the lx470 and then the rx will get its makeover... i have also talked to some people from motortrend about the issue and they say that they have recieved no insight about it... but have heard rumors about implanting the I6 from the gs300 the rx300... we will just have to be patient and see what happens....
Old 10-10-01, 12:57 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default I'm sorry......

Originally posted by eddyjoe
those pictures are a little too outrageous to be real... i honestly do not believe that lexus will be changing the rx300 for 2003... most likely the change will come in for 2004... i own an rx300 and spoke to the manager of my dealership to see what was the status of the future of the rx... he told me "dont worry eddy, its not going to change for a while"... the gs300 will be the next car to change in the lexus lineup followed by the lx470 and then the rx will get its makeover... i have also talked to some people from motortrend about the issue and they say that they have recieved no insight about it... but have heard rumors about implanting the I6 from the gs300 the rx300... we will just have to be patient and see what happens....
.....but you can't possibly believe what the manager of A DEALERSHIP says when it comes to predicting future models. Besdies he might be just speculating (or even sometimes blatantly lying to sell his current stock) By the same token the General Manager at Longo Lexus, one of the largest Lexus dealership in the U.S. said that it was confirmed that the RX 300 would be redesigned for 2003. Did I take him seriously?? Absolutely not. It is my understanding that these people are as clueless as all of the rest of us about new models until maybe a few weeks before the new model hits the showroom floor. Toyota and Honda are very good about being very tight lipped when it comes to new model releases. Before the ES 300 was released this fall everyone (including the media - Car and Driver, Motor Trend etc.) had no idea that it was being redesigned this year and most even speculated that a redesign was due NEXT year.

Basically, the point I'm trying to get across is that at this point in time all of the above pictures, the time-frame for the new model release etc. - All of this is mere speculation. It's anyone's guess as to when it will appear and what the final rendition will look like!
Old 10-10-01, 05:28 AM
jmezo
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my $.02 but if its going to look like anything, it will probably look " size wise " like a Toyota Hilander. I would think they would get the bugs out of the Hilander for 2 years then put a Lexus body on it for sale in 03.

I hope it will not look like any photos I have seen to date.
Old 10-10-01, 05:36 AM
eddyjoe
Driver School Candidate

yes i agree with you on the fact that i cannot trust the manager of the dealership for definitive facts on model releases and yes toyota is very tight lipped, but in 1999 (when i first went car shopping in the lexus dealership) i was informed about the es redesign for 2002 by the manager himself who is a friend of the family.... i mean that could be the only reason i was let into that little secret... honestly he had no idea what it was going to look like but he said it was coming... i have read and heard that these companies have their designs made around 7 years in advance and managers have to have everything planned in order to move the stock around... motortrent did know about a redesign, ill get back to you on the issue (month, year) so that i could be deemed credible ... now that i look back on your post to make sure i touched up on every subject he preferred that i wait for the new es to come out in 2002 than to purchase the 2000 model... clearly in my opinion not trying to push his current stock (at least not to me) a question for you: how do you judge what is "one of the biggest lexus dealerships in the us"? tv ad's? newspaper ad's? or stats? to conclude i am going to agree with you... everything is speculation
Old 10-10-01, 01:58 PM
sleepybobcat

Japanese automakers always seem more tight-lipped about
upcoming models.(compared to American & European automakers)

Perhaps they do not want to affect the sales of the model that's
about to be replaced...

These new radical redesigns are not only limited to Lexus...
Just look at what BMW is doing to the new 7-series(E65)
It looks just like a Chrysler Sirrus from behind... The newer MBs
are even worse...

Where do they get these designers anyway? I doubt there was
any customer input in the designs...
Old 10-10-01, 02:05 PM
redjeeper
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

What moron drew the Pontiac Aztec?

Quick Reply: 2003 Rx300