RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Driver's Door Lock

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-06, 09:28 PM
BOWTIE 3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's Door Lock

Our 2000 RX300 [ 58,000 miles ] driver's door lock quit working yesterday. The remote unlocks all the other doors but the driver's door has to be locked with the key from the outside. Is this a common occurance on the RX300? I guess I'll just have to order one from Park Place Lexus in Plano, Texas [ about $230.00 ]. The dealer wants 3 hours labor for the job. That would put it at about $500.00 for the whole operation. Being the retired GM tech that I am, I'm sure I can do anything that the dealer techs can do.
Old 07-29-06, 01:26 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Seems like a door lock actuator problem. The solonoid (reluctor instead of contacts in a relay) could be stuck or just the linkage worn out.

It is not a common RX problem .. I have seen more complaints in GS CLForum.

I am sure fixing/replacing is well within your capabilities. The only problem with buttoned up door is knowing where the screws are and where the snaps are. If you dont have a service manual, asks the dealership parts to give you a photocopy of the door parts blowup.

I have good success with using a taped up, nail extractor [looks like a screw driver at the handle side and two curved prongs (with a slit in the middle to grap the nail head) to pull apart hidden snaps.

Although the sanps can be re-used, but if they loose their shape, buy new ones.

Good luck.

Salim
Old 07-29-06, 05:34 PM
BOWTIE 3
Driver

Your're right about the special tool. I've used several designs over the years. The best one i've found is designed to remove tacks and small brads. There's also a specific door-panel tool that is larger, yet still flat for getting under the panel edge. I'm going to pull the door panel off Monday and check to see exactly what the problem is before I order a new latch / actuator. When using the lock-switch on the driver's door, the manual lock-lever up by the door handle moves slightly. That would indicate that the actuator is connected electrically but that there is a problem with the mechanics of it. I just replaced both door-glass regulator / motors in my 2001 Silverado last week [ 40,000 miles ]. They were each $ 140.00 [ regulator and motor ] and about an hour's work. I just can't beleive that they only lasted 40,000 miles. I replaced the driver's door regulator / motor on Monday and thought I would just pull the passenger door panel and lube up the cables, etc. Ran the window up and down a few times and that cable broke. What a POS! For the record: an RX300 regulator is about $130.00 and the motor is about $340.00.
Old 08-19-06, 04:20 PM
efuji
Driver School Candidate

I had a problem with my 2000 RX300 AWD where the remote would not open the driver's door, but all the other doors would open with the usual double click. The doors all locked with the remote. I disconnected the battery for a while and apparently the door computer rebooted and everything worked fine after that.
Old 10-26-06, 06:10 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
Seems like a door lock actuator problem. The solonoid (reluctor instead of contacts in a relay) could be stuck or just the linkage worn out.

It is not a common RX problem .. I have seen more complaints in GS CLForum.

I am sure fixing/replacing is well within your capabilities. The only problem with buttoned up door is knowing where the screws are and where the snaps are. If you dont have a service manual, asks the dealership parts to give you a photocopy of the door parts blowup.

I have good success with using a taped up, nail extractor [looks like a screw driver at the handle side and two curved prongs (with a slit in the middle to grap the nail head) to pull apart hidden snaps.

Although the sanps can be re-used, but if they loose their shape, buy new ones.

Good luck.

Salim
Actually I think it *is* a common problem, I have seen others say 99-01 have the problem. I have it on my rear passenger door,. Rarely use the back seat so not a high priority to fix. I know a junkyard here in San Diego I could salvage one off of though.
Old 10-26-06, 10:03 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by toy4two
Actually I think it *is* a common problem, I have seen others say 99-01 have the problem. I have it on my rear passenger door,. Rarely use the back seat so not a high priority to fix. I know a junkyard here in San Diego I could salvage one off of though.
I would say reconsider the junk yard option if it is a high failure item. You would get a longer life from a new piece.

Salim
Old 10-29-06, 08:05 AM
bigdog100
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem withdoor locks, 1k to repair with labor at lexus.
Old 10-29-06, 09:08 AM
salimshah

What is the breakdown ... parts and labor.

You can possibly shave some on parts by going to CL sponsor and DIY will get you the rest.

Post pics for other members and as a community we can save.

Salim
Old 11-08-06, 12:33 PM
3warnes
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue with my driver's dorr lock. The rest of the doors work.
Old 11-08-06, 02:49 PM
salimshah

Oh well!

Another one of those threads where the some one shares a problem but the threads does not end with useful information for others.

Salim
Old 11-08-06, 04:02 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same problem with the passenger door. I also have a problem on the same door with the window control not working. But, I can do the window from the driver's door. The car is getting old now. The question is how much money to invest in a car that is almost 8 years old. However, it runs great!
Old 11-08-06, 06:30 PM
salimshah

If you let things pile up, the cost of repair goes so high that it prevents you from getting it fixed. Incremental repairs, although cost the same but the bite is reduced.

I suffer from a bug that every thing needs to be just perfect.

Salim
Old 11-25-06, 10:39 PM
cobravap
Driver School Candidate

Default Door Lock problem

Hey guys,

i just got an 00 rx300 from my aunt. Now everything seems good except a couple of things. mileage seems to be pretty bad (the display says good stuff) but it gets about 250 miles a tank. today i poured a can of seafoam into the tank and tomorrow im going to pour it through the brake booster line. But the other main problem is that the driver door lock is broken. I have to manually open the door and lock the door. The remote key will open all the other doors except that. Even unlocking the doors using the door lock button wont work. Do u think this is a electrical problem or something that i wont be able to do on my own?

Thanks guys
Old 11-26-06, 05:48 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to CL, cobra!

Depending on your level of intestinal fortitude and familiarity with interior work, you can DIY this fix. You're probably going to have to remove the door panel and get a look at the lock solenoid to see if it is working, or if the connection to the lock mechanics has simply come adrift. You might be able to hear or feel the plunger in the driver's door move when you hit the electric unlock button before you go to all of the labor. I understand your dealer can perform the fix, but it will probably cost a few hundred $$. You might try a junkyard for parts before shelling out for new ones.

From the sound of things your mileage is within the normal range for urban driving. The '99 and '00 RX's had a tiny fuel tank, and subsequent models are not a whole lot larger. As if to compound the problem, at least my '00 RX had a VERY pessimistic fuel gauge, indicating empty with probably 1/8 of a tank or more remaining. Don't push this, but check your refill against your manual's listed tank capacity.

Good luck!
Old 11-26-06, 11:23 AM
cobravap
Driver School Candidate

bowtie,did u actually figure out what parts need to be replaced? and if so how much did it all cost at the end. My dealer said about $600 for repairing the same problem as this so i was wondering if it was worth doing this.

Quick Reply: Driver's Door Lock