RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

gx 470 yes thats right

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-01, 06:59 PM
pops
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gx 470 yes thats right

Ya'll better back some space on this board, just heard about the GX 470. Bigger than the RX and smaller than the LX. 4.7 liter, 8 passenger in the mid 40k. On a truck frame,not any frame from Toyota all on its on
Old 10-03-01, 08:57 PM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

Where did you hear this?? I'm interested!
Old 10-04-01, 04:26 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Wow, that does sound interesting. Toyota sure does have the SUV's!
Old 10-04-01, 07:17 AM
pops
Driver School Candidate

Natonal dealer meeting
Old 10-04-01, 09:06 AM
Silversport01
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Yes my salesman said it will be like the sequoia.

Old 10-04-01, 09:08 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

I think it will be based off of the new 4runner . Considering that the 4runner hasn't been changed in awhile . And if i am right the 4 runner has its own platform .
Old 10-05-01, 06:12 AM
pops
Driver School Candidate

It will have a frame more like the Landcruiser, kind of squared off in the back, will have a new option in this and the 470 which is a entertainment center from the head line. think about that with the Mark Levinson system.
Old 10-05-01, 05:51 PM
lexfinman
Driver School Candidate

available in '04....Sequoia-based...according to dealer
Old 10-05-01, 07:35 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Thumbs up Wow this news is absolutely music to my ears!!

It's especially refreshing to know that this is going to be nice, fairly ROUGH and READY SUV just like what an SUV is SUPPOSED TO BE. I just don't understand why people think LUXURY & CREATURE COMFORT on the inside and RUGGEDNESS on the outside cannot go together harmoniously!! I'm sure it will have a slighly SOFTENED ride just like the LX 470 vs. Landcruiser, but it is very very heartening to know it will not be another jacked-up station wagon!! I just hope it's not too big like the Sequoia!!...that becomes almost like a BUS
Old 10-08-01, 09:58 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

This is great news if it is true. They have to really have something to go head to head against the Infiniti QX4 and those other luxury SUVs based on a Truck Frame. The RX300 is great, but fall short, since it is half car / half truck.

I can't wait to see a Lexus Version of the new 4runner. Nice V8 in there and such power. It will look beautiful.

The 4Runner Limited is one of the best looking SUVs out there right now, however just outdated and in desperate need of upgrades and a revamp!

The LX is nice, but too large and expensive too.
Old 10-09-01, 12:42 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Smile Absolutely!...

Originally posted by lexguynj
This is great news if it is true. They have to really have something to go head to head against the Infiniti QX4 and those other luxury SUVs based on a Truck Frame. The RX300 is great, but fall short, since it is half car / half truck.

I can't wait to see a Lexus Version of the new 4runner. Nice V8 in there and such power. It will look beautiful.

The 4Runner Limited is one of the best looking SUVs out there right now, however just outdated and in desperate need of upgrades and a revamp!

The LX is nice, but too large and expensive too.
An SUV doesnt NECESSARILY have to be "frame-based" to be tough, although some hard-core off road enthusiasts still swear that the Frame-on-body is the toughest. Prime example is the Mitsubishi Montero - It's a unibody structure with slight modifications (with boxed in frame rails) - ...and the Montero is one of the most tough, off-road capable machines out there and rides quite compliantly to boot because of it's 4-wheel independent suspension. However, Toyota has demonstrated with it's Sequoia, Landcruiser and LX 470 that it can make vehicles with Frames ride comfortably as well. The ride in my 4-Runner is a bit stiff and bouncy, but then that's a really aging design unlike the other models.

and BTW if the RX 300 was half car/half truck I would still be a happy camper. Unfortunately, it's more like 90% car and 10% truck They didn't have to make it the most off-road capable machine like the 4-Runner with 11 inches of ground clearance, low-range and 3 skid-plates with ultra-stiff springs - BUT they did not have to go to the other extreme either and make it a slightly raised car. They should have given it at least MODERATE off-road capability like the Acura MDX which means giving it a minimum of 8.5 inches of ground clearance, one or two skid plates (maybe only in 4WD models as they've done with the new RAV4) and slightly more aggressive tires (even if that was kept only as an option on 4WD models for those that want to venture just a little more off the beaten path).......But then who knows, maybe Lexus is listening and the next RX will have all of these issues taken care of

......if the GX 470 is a "Lexus version of the 4-Runner" it cannot be too large, and this would be great - I'm told that for the new redesigned 4-Runner due out next year they will not increase it's dimensions too much to maintain the precious MANUVERABILITY of a smaller vehicle that 4-Runner owners so crave. Otherwise, if they plan on making it a people-mover they will base it off the Sequoia which is I personally believe is TOO LARGE - O.K. for large families.

....and Yes, the 4-Runner is in DESPERATE need of a REDESIGN. I still went ahead and bought it because they were offering such good deals (practically giving it away) and in it's class it STILL stands out with it's unique capabilities (highest ground clearance, aging but still good looking after all those years, loaded with features - value etc.) But on the flip side, the V6 engine is really loud and shows it's age and really struggles to keep the vehicle moving (grossly underpowered) - and with a full load of passengers it REALLY feels very labored. And the ride is also much more unrefined than equally capable off-road machines. Can't wait to see what next years fully redesigned 4-Runner will be like. Hope it comes with that wonderful Lexus/Toyota Navigation system as an option

Last edited by vicpai; 10-09-01 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-09-01, 06:27 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Speaking of unibody designs being just as rugged, don't foreget Jeep! The Grand Cherokee and new Liberty is unibody and one of the best off-roaders - it's had to be in order to be called a Jeep. Also, the new Land Rover defender is unibody. All of these vechiles have been put through some tough shi* in testing and have succeeded.

-Nick
Old 10-14-01, 10:28 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Getting Tougher all the time.

New 2003 Revamped RX300 or this new GX, I need to see the GX to figure this one out. I can't wait to see both of them!
Old 10-17-01, 09:24 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Hi im new to this club and so far it seems great, nice pics and nice friendly people. i think another truck inbetween the rx300 and lx470 is a great idea. the rx is a little small to begin with and the lx is too pricey for a regular SUV. so maybe they should make the rx a little smaller to compete with rav 4's or cr-v's size trucks. or maybe make it unique like a convertible or two door. then make the new truck a little bigger than previous rx. and then they would also have the big lx. what do u guys think
Old 10-18-01, 03:43 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Thumbs up I couldn't agree with you more

Originally posted by DJ SprinklesNJO
Hi im new to this club and so far it seems great, nice pics and nice friendly people. i think another truck inbetween the rx300 and lx470 is a great idea. the rx is a little small to begin with and the lx is too pricey for a regular SUV. so maybe they should make the rx a little smaller to compete with rav 4's or cr-v's size trucks. or maybe make it unique like a convertible or two door. then make the new truck a little bigger than previous rx. and then they would also have the big lx. what do u guys think
If they're, indeed, planning to come out with the GX470 to slot between the RX and LX, I really think they should make the RX (A LITTLE) smaller to cater to the single crowd without a large family....and that would be someone like me....At this time all those "BIGGER IS BETTER" BUSES are all aimed at families with a hundred kids to haul!!! Kind of makes me mad .....and it really makes me mad when people tell me if you wan't a small luxurious vehicle, buy the SC 430...... I DO NOT WANT A SMALL, LUXURIOUS CAR with 2 inches of ground clearance that I cannot take to the wilderness or to the mountains....... I WANT A SMALL, LUXURIOUS 4-WHEEL DRIVE SPORTS-UTILITY VEHICLE LIKE THE RAV4, BUT A THOUSAND TIMES MORE REFINED, LUXURIOUS AND POWERFUL THAN THE RAV4....think of it as a RAV4 with a Navigation System, HIDS, a nice V6, Mark-Levinson sound, substantially quieter etc. made under the Lexus trademark...or one can think of it as a Lexus IS Sportcross wagon with substantially HIGHER GROUND CLEARANCE. I just do not understand manufacturers' mentality these days: that if you want luxury and performance, A BIGGER SIZE MUST accompany that??? Let me say that if you don't NEED copious amounts of space SMALL is BETTER....more manuverable, a sportier feel, easier parking, better gas mileage (not because of a smaller engine, but because of a lower vehicle weight), etc. etc........I hope Lexus is listening

Last edited by vicpai; 10-18-01 at 03:55 PM.

Quick Reply: gx 470 yes thats right