RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

a mod thats just for fun.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-06, 01:19 AM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default a mod thats just for fun.

since im too cheap to get a real exhaust, i decided to unbolt the pipes that connect the muffler to the resonator and make a little gap between them. to do this i placed the springs, which was connected to the muffler bolts, between the muffler pipe and resonator pipe and then used the stock muffler bolts to hold them in place. this kept the muffler from shaking around because its still connected to the rest of the exhaust pipe.

the exhaust tone sounds great when im cruising slow. it reminded me of the borla exhaust i had on my old 4runner. but when im at wot the exhaust tone sounded really bad, like it was sucking in air. this mod probally wont give any performance and might actually rob some power. i just wanted to see how a deep tone would sound on my rx.
Old 06-25-06, 01:34 AM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you created an exhaust leak?
Old 06-25-06, 05:20 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yikes! Don't drive with the windows up!
Old 06-25-06, 09:54 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can replace the resonator with a straight pipe, just as Lexmex did. It will buzz alarms
Old 06-25-06, 05:37 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

yeah its pretty much an exhaust leak, but its not that loud at all.
tunedrx300 what inch pipe should i get to replace the resonator?
Old 06-25-06, 07:59 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Lexmex can comment better on the sound level. Here is what he did
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2215309/3
You can replace the big resonator behind the catalytic convertor with a Magnaflow one. Of course, replace it with straight pipe will give you loudest sound but I think you will get tired of it soon. I would recommend 22" or 18" resonator with stock inlet/outlet pipe size (I believe 2.25"), it is less than 1/2 hr of labor at any muffler shop but cutting and welding is required.
I have replace all exhaust components from the exhaust manifold header to the muffler tip on my Acura TL with bolt-on stainless steel parts (Except the cat). The biggest sound increase comes from replacing the resonator with a straigh pipe. Very deep sound and always annoy the heck out of one BMW at my work. Just a quick tap on gas upon entering the parking lot, I can find out where that bimmer is
Old 06-26-06, 12:11 AM
zombie
Lead Lap

thanks for the tip tunedrx300. my original exhaust plan, when i first got the rx, was magnaflow highflow cat with straight 2.5" pipe to a magnaflow or borla exhaust. i was looking at the rod millen exhaust on two lexus parts online stores and wonder if anyone had any experience with it? would it be better then a custom universal exhaust?
Old 06-26-06, 11:19 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zombie
thanks for the tip tunedrx300. my original exhaust plan, when i first got the rx, was magnaflow highflow cat with straight 2.5" pipe to a magnaflow or borla exhaust. i was looking at the rod millen exhaust on two lexus parts online stores and wonder if anyone had any experience with it? would it be better then a custom universal exhaust?
No experience with RMM, but I am eyeing on Fujitsubo Wagolis mufflers because of full SUS stainless steel quality, deeper tone at low rpm, and believe or not, lower decibel at high RPM because of better flow.
Your setup is very close to Lexmex's, I think he experiement with no resonator but it was real loud. I would go gradual upgrade, upgrade the mufflor and see if you like the sound. Then, replace the stock resonator to a stainless steel resonator with a size of your choice and the exhaust pipes. I don't know how restrictive the stock catalytic converter is, but just too much cutting and welding to my taste. Most likely they don't improve on sound too much, just the flow.
Old 06-26-06, 12:17 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I once had a 2.5 inch pipe (2 inch is stock), but the twin 2.25 inchers off the back of the resonator do just fine. I think with 3 inches, it could get really loud.

Without the resonator, it is loud, and I still have a drone with my replacement. What I did was get a used resonator from a Honda Accord (a Sankei) and trap it on after the cat. I experimented without it and that thing was extremely loud. The only reason I got the one from the Accord is the related Toyota ones down here (no Lexus here) were very heavy and I really wanted to trim the weight (my original reason for getting rid of the OEM resonator).

One day when I throw that turbo in there, the resonator will get tossed.

What really makes my RX loud is partially due to the fact that I have no precats, just a Magnaflow High Flow Cat. Nobody, and I do mean nobody, down here cares how loud your car is. We have trucks waking people up in the middle of the night where I live. My home state of Florida would probably raise a fuss, but I am not there so

What will be really interesting to see (and I know TunedRX300 is, too) is when Megan Racing finishes their 1MZFE headers. I am volunteering to be the guinea pig again to see if they fit correctly and if not, what adjustments need to be made. I am very curious about the noise and also the track time.

BTW, I wanted to mention that my current 1/4 mile track has been closed (I think temporarily) for some strange reasons, but I will be racing at another track in Toluca about 500 feet higher in altitude.
Old 06-27-06, 04:00 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

i stopped my exhuast gap because it was embarrasing at high rpms. im just gonna wait for my next check and see if i can afford the rod millen muffler. then if the sound isnt to my liking and i didnt feel much performance, i will change to a high flow resonator and 2.5 inch piping. ima hold off on the high flow cat.

the megan racing headers sounds very interesting. did they ever say how much they would sell it for?

thanks for your help tunedrx300 and lexmex.
Old 06-27-06, 04:26 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Sound like a good choice. If you eager to improve your RX a few horses, try this custome Cold Air Intake with $15 home depot plumbing parts.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...9&page=1&pp=15
You don't need to dyno to verify the $ to hp ratio
Old 06-27-06, 07:40 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I think about $600 USD. JP Performance has some for $1600 USD, ouch, but I asked them about the header pieces as opposed the highflow cat extension and, the header pieces are only $1000 USD, still ouch. Xerd had some, but I have not seen anything more about those. The JP Performance ones are good, but I would never shovel cash out like that.

Again, I would recommend waiting until I get my hands on some so I can see if the Megan Racing headers fit. I can always do some custom work with my friends at Hangar 1 exhaust shop here and my uncle can give some pointers.

I highly recommend Tuned RX300`s cold air intake to all RX300 owners.
Old 06-27-06, 08:52 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

the intake horn is very similar to what i did to my intake. instead im using the weapon r intake tube to hold my maf sensor and a 3 inch cone filter with a filtered opening on the top. i attached an intake bending tube to the top of the cone filter and it joins with a 90 degree curve aluminum tube that i sawed off of a lx civic short ram intake tube. on the end of the 90 degree tube is a modified big oil funnel that i attaced to the bumpers air vent. it works alright. im no longer gonna touch my intake because i already messed with it too much. im tired of opening that driver side wheel panel
Old 06-28-06, 06:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I know what you mean. What should have taken me an hour at the most would end up taking a few more hours just to make things fit. You think Lexus would have gotten a clue and have done something like this for a few more HPs, but probably they did not want something flying up in there punching through the filter.

Still, I do not use any air filter and have not had an issue. Even the MAF sensor appears to stay much cleaner than before and the power is absolutely incredible. I actually worry about taking it down to sea level as this RX of mine is going to fly.
Old 06-28-06, 03:40 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

lexmex you should take your rx over in houston. theres a very good amount of non-turbo and non-supercharged sport compacts that think they're the $#!%.

Quick Reply: a mod thats just for fun.