RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-09, 12:21 PM
m1tk4
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Sauce"

This is the source:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
atu14004.pdf (78.4 KB, 2605 views)
Old 12-28-09, 10:21 AM
LEXUSARX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a question to TunedRX300. What kind of AMSOIL ATF exactly did you use? There is red and blue label on the bottle. Which one is the right one for RX300?
Thanks in advance,
Old 12-28-09, 10:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUSARX
This is a question to TunedRX300. What kind of AMSOIL ATF exactly did you use? There is red and blue label on the bottle. Which one is the right one for RX300?
Thanks in advance,
Pretty positive it's this one, http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx
as they have changed their design over the years. Same one I use.
Old 12-29-09, 08:10 AM
LEXUSARX
Driver School Candidate

Default Trany fluid...

Thanks Lexmex, They are asking $9.75 p/qt. Do you know any other places with better price?
Two more questions? Do you guys use any RTV or Silicon when installing transmission gasket on trany pan and then to trany itself?

I also hearing some winning nose from transmission case, sound like power steering noise. It is only when engine is cold, then it goes away when warms up.
Do you think after I replace ATF fluid will it help to reduce the noise?

Thanks,
Old 12-29-09, 09:12 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Thanks Lexmex, They are asking $9.75 p/qt. Do you know any other places with better price?
Two more questions? Do you guys use any RTV or Silicon when installing transmission gasket on trany pan and then to trany itself?

I also hearing some winning nose from transmission case, sound like power steering noise. It is only when engine is cold, then it goes away when warms up.
Do you think after I replace ATF fluid will it help to reduce the noise?

Thanks,
Not offhand. I go to Murray's Speed and Customs, http://www.murraysspeed.com/ (there around Florida) or some Carquest, http://www.carquest.com stores have it (the one in Bradenton, Florida where I used to live had it. I used to see pretty much the same price.

I don't use any kind of silicon or sealant. I tried that once and had disastrous consequences. Basically, the seal was like a thin film between the gasket, tranny and tranny pan and leaked through. Others may differ on this but that's just my two cents.

Not sure on that noise. That sounds more like power steering to me. I use Mobil 1 ATF for my PSF fluid and used to get similar whining, but now don't.
Old 12-29-09, 12:28 PM
LEXUSARX
Driver School Candidate

Default Trany fluid...

Thanks for a quick respond!
I made a purchase for AMSOIL ATF and sign up to be dealer for 6 month, it's only $10. It's seems to be cheaper this way, they gave me the discount.

I thought this way too. It was a power steering! After reading the forums how to change power steering fluid (very helpful write up) I flush P/S with Mobil 1 ATF.
And gues what, it didn't help. That winning noise so hard to identify. I borogh the statoscope from my friend and started to listen where the noise coming from. It's deffenetly from transmission case, near starter.
Searched all over the internet... people do have the same problem like mine. But nobody was able to solve it.
I think my last chance to change trany fluid and see if the noise go away. If not....I will drive untill its completely fail a part.
Old 12-29-09, 12:34 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Thanks for a quick respond!
I made a purchase for AMSOIL ATF and sign up to be dealer for 6 month, it's only $10. It's seems to be cheaper this way, they gave me the discount.

I thought this way too. It was a power steering! After reading the forums how to change power steering fluid (very helpful write up) I flush P/S with Mobil 1 ATF.
And gues what, it didn't help. That winning noise so hard to identify. I borogh the statoscope from my friend and started to listen where the noise coming from. It's deffenetly from transmission case, near starter.
Searched all over the internet... people do have the same problem like mine. But nobody was able to solve it.
I think my last chance to change trany fluid and see if the noise go away. If not....I will drive untill its completely fail a part.
The only thing close to the area you mentioned is the transmission pump immediately below the starter, but see what change occurs with the changeout of fluid first.
Old 02-19-10, 10:59 PM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

What is the maintenance schedule for Tranny fluid sevice? (2001 RX-300 FWD)

How much does the dealer charge?

Would you trust a Toyota dealer doing the job properly to Lexus specs?

thx

bob
Old 02-20-10, 05:37 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by steelgtr
What is the maintenance schedule for Tranny fluid sevice? (2001 RX-300 FWD)

How much does the dealer charge?

Would you trust a Toyota dealer doing the job properly to Lexus specs?

thx

bob
That's been subject to debate.

Personally, I'd say no more than 15K on the Toyota Type IV fluid. Though if you run one of the synthetic ATFs, like Amsoil, you can go longer. Unsure on what dealer currently charges,but this is not rocket science and not hard to do (can take some time if you need to take the filter out, but is generally easier than doing and oil change if you're not changing the filter.

Toyota should easily be able to do this job. The transmission involved is common to Toyota vehicles as well, the U140, is used on several other vehicles that have the 1MZFE, but you need to make sure they drain BOTH the front differential drain plug and of course the tranny pan plug.
Old 02-20-10, 07:20 AM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lexmex
That's been subject to debate.

Personally, I'd say no more than 15K on the Toyota Type IV fluid. Though if you run one of the synthetic ATFs, like Amsoil, you can go longer. Unsure on what dealer currently charges,but this is not rocket science and not hard to do (can take some time if you need to take the filter out, but is generally easier than doing and oil change if you're not changing the filter.

Toyota should easily be able to do this job. The transmission involved is common to Toyota vehicles as well, the U140, is used on several other vehicles that have the 1MZFE, but you need to make sure they drain BOTH the front differential drain plug and of course the tranny pan plug.
Thanks

What does the Lexus manual recommend for our year (2001 RX-300 FWD)?

We lost the maint schedule!

thx

bob
Old 02-21-10, 06:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by steelgtr
Thanks

What does the Lexus manual recommend for our year (2001 RX-300 FWD)?

We lost the maint schedule!

thx

bob
I don't have mine in front of me, but as I recall the wording was something like examine and if necessary replace the transmission fluid, and these words were noted about 15K apart. I might be wrong about that, but I'd have to go through some boxes to get the service booklet out (came with owner's manual).
Old 03-30-10, 01:03 AM
Aprazur
Rookie

Question Mixing Amsoil with Type IV ?

I'm thinking of using Amsoil in doing the 7 quart trans fluid change including the cooler. Does it hurt to mix 7 quarts of AMSOIL synthetic fluid with the remaining 2+ quarts of oil based type IV fluid left in the torque converter?

Jerry
Old 03-30-10, 06:33 AM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

I just had mine changed at 84K (2001) The service manager(Piercey Toyota) said it was dirty, not filthy so I went for it. I swear it feels zippier

bob
Old 03-30-10, 07:06 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jerry Stil
I'm thinking of using Amsoil in doing the 7 quart trans fluid change including the cooler. Does it hurt to mix 7 quarts of AMSOIL synthetic fluid with the remaining 2+ quarts of oil based type IV fluid left in the torque converter?

Jerry
Not an issue, I did the same thing with Amsoil 2 years ago.
Old 03-30-10, 10:46 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Not an issue, I did the same thing with Amsoil 2 years ago.
Thanks....You Da Man!

Jerry

Quick Reply: Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change