RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 04:29 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wing0
After doing a few simple drain & fill, I've decided to move on to taking down the pan and the oil strainer+filter.

I was wondering if there is a different part number for the metal version of the filter instead of the paper?

What size are the bolts holding the oil strainer? I couldn't find it in the 1st page.

My last question would be, what's the estimated fluid I need if I do all the above without the cooler line process?

4 qt(drain) + 1 qt(front diff) + ?? (pan + strainer)?
any input?
Old 09-11-08, 08:36 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wing0
After doing a few simple drain & fill, I've decided to move on to taking down the pan and the oil strainer+filter.

I was wondering if there is a different part number for the metal version of the filter instead of the paper?

What size are the bolts holding the oil strainer? I couldn't find it in the 1st page.

My last question would be, what's the estimated fluid I need if I do all the above without the cooler line process?

4 qt(drain) + 1 qt(front diff) + ?? (pan + strainer)?
Drain a little over 4 qt, pan + strainer, 0.5 qt, a little over 2 qt of additional ATF came from cooler and torque convertor when using cooler disconnect.
Old 09-27-08, 07:50 AM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Would an ATF flush remove the debries accumulated at around the magnets that stuck at the bottom of the drain pan?
Old 09-27-08, 02:33 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by chenxingha
Would an ATF flush remove the debries accumulated at around the magnets that stuck at the bottom of the drain pan?
I am not quite sure how much it would get out, but I distinctly remember when I had the flush done about 5 years ago at Lexus that they did take off the pan and put in a new filter.
Old 10-13-08, 03:45 PM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just did it this past weekend, thanks for the well done DIY TunedRX300, the only thing i came across that was off was how you said there were two bolts on the back of the pan that were different than the others, i didnt have that, i even lined them all up in a row and couldnt find any difference between any of them, maybe mine had service and they screwed up with the bolts
Old 10-15-08, 05:48 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As mentioned on another thread, I had a tranny service at the dealership. I became concerned when I noticed no filter change. Lexus told me it's their policy to only do a drain and fill. Even though I had this done 4 months ago, I became concerned that with over 100K, this has never been done!

Did the change, filter, etc per the sticky here. Magnets were full but the metal was very fine. Filter was original and very fine shavings as well, this was a relief! I was able to get 8 qts out of the transmission/transfer case, return line, replaced with Amsoil fluid, shifts great.

I noticed in the sticky that that 7 qts was used, anyone know the full capacity of transmission and transfer case? Additionally, I noticed the transfer case plug was full of fine metal, I do not think Lexus had that off either!

Thanks all!
Old 10-15-08, 07:01 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by blueridge
As mentioned on another thread, I had a tranny service at the dealership. I became concerned when I noticed no filter change. Lexus told me it's their policy to only do a drain and fill. Even though I had this done 4 months ago, I became concerned that with over 100K, this has never been done!

Did the change, filter, etc per the sticky here. Magnets were full but the metal was very fine. Filter was original and very fine shavings as well, this was a relief! I was able to get 8 qts out of the transmission/transfer case, return line, replaced with Amsoil fluid, shifts great.

I noticed in the sticky that that 7 qts was used, anyone know the full capacity of transmission and transfer case? Additionally, I noticed the transfer case plug was full of fine metal, I do not think Lexus had that off either!

Thanks all!
For the U140E transmission (FWD)
Dry fill: 8.25 liters (8.72 US quarts, 7.26 Imp. qts)
Drain and refill: 3.5 liters (3.7 US qts, 3.1 Imp. qts)

For the U140F transmission (AWD)
Dry fill: 9.15 liters (9.67 US qts, 8.05 Imp. qts)
Drain and refill: 4.1 liters (4.3 US qts, 3.6 Imp qts)

-------------

I very much remember when we did transmission work last year in Mexico and doing the dry fill (since we had opened up the transmission and torque converter), very much indeed needed at least 9 quarts to get the job done, since I have an AWD.
Old 10-16-08, 06:25 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

Thanks Lexmex for your insight and to others here! You guys have provided my with the tools to do many jobs here, not to mention the education.

I know this has been around many times, but you mentioned torque converter. So on an AWD RX the drain right behind the ATF drain is the torque converter? I that is was the transfer case?

Also, what frustrates me: I noticed on the Lexus service reciept from the drain and fill they did 4 months ago, it says 4qts. If that is accurate then they only got 50% out?! I noticed the fluid was quite dirty for only 4 months old.

Thanks again!
Old 10-16-08, 08:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Thanks Lexmex for your insight and to others here! You guys have provided my with the tools to do many jobs here, not to mention the education.

I know this has been around many times, but you mentioned torque converter. So on an AWD RX the drain right behind the ATF drain is the torque converter? I that is was the transfer case?

Also, what frustrates me: I noticed on the Lexus service reciept from the drain and fill they did 4 months ago, it says 4qts. If that is accurate then they only got 50% out?! I noticed the fluid was quite dirty for only 4 months old.

Thanks again!
We'll take a look with a photo

The area in the blue square is the transfer case and it uses 85W90 gear oil officially, about .9L or so and you will only find this on an AWD RX300.

The area in yellow is the front differential which is part of the transmission unit. This is the drain plug that is right behind the one on the transmission pan, which you can see just to the right of it.

I will show where the torque converter is next.
Attached Thumbnails Photo DIY:  RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change-newdownpipe1a.jpg  
Old 10-16-08, 08:35 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The torque converter is not readily accessible, but here is a shot of the area where it sits. The front differential is on the left side here. This is taken from last December after we had transmission work done to replace a cracked transmission pump (which is straight in the center of the photo with the little rod sticking out of it).
Attached Thumbnails Photo DIY:  RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change-img_3662.jpg  
Old 10-16-08, 08:37 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The torque converter itself attaches on to this rod from the pump.
Attached Thumbnails Photo DIY:  RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change-img_3587.jpg  
Old 10-16-08, 08:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Also, what frustrates me: I noticed on the Lexus service reciept from the drain and fill they did 4 months ago, it says 4qts. If that is accurate then they only got 50% out?! I noticed the fluid was quite dirty for only 4 months old. Thanks again!
That's right. When I do a drain and fill of the front differential and transmission pan, I usually have to fill up with about 4 bottles (4 quarts) and that doesn't take a lot out. I did notice that when I switched over to Amsoil ATF about 6 months back or so that even after the first drain and fill (which doesn't remove much), I could already notice improvement in the shifting.
Old 10-16-08, 08:41 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Another photo of the torque converter (modified) that went on to my transmission.
Attached Thumbnails Photo DIY:  RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change-img_3677.jpg  
Old 10-16-08, 08:43 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

And from the other side.
Attached Thumbnails Photo DIY:  RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change-img_3665.jpg  
Old 10-16-08, 09:25 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

Lightbulb

Thank you, thank you Lexmex! Very nice, sorry ya had to put up so many pics but it makes perfect scene now. I was confused because it appears "transfer case" is thrown around in different areas, different ways. Throw in my own over analysis and there ya go!

Quick Reply: Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change