RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 03:40 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wing0
Just a little update. I've drained more fluid out to see if it helps with the 1st-2nd gear shift. It did...but now it's 2nd-3rd gear that jerks back...
why?

The cool measurement was high, so I keep draining until I see that it's almost touching the top teeth mark of the dipstick and drained a little more. Went out for a drive for around 10km or so. Came back, now fluid barely touch bottom mark of hot. I added a tiny little more, hoping I just made it into the "safety" region....but now the jerk from 2nd-3rd gear is confusing me.

Another thing, is it normal for idle to dip below 800rpm when in reverse gear? I'm a little concerned about deposits on throttle body or could it be the MAF sensor?
I doubt your transmission shifting issues are related to the fluid level.

Your not the first person that experienced trani shifting issues shortly after a drain and fill.

YOU HAVE TO LET THE CAR SIT AT A FAST IDLE BEFORE SHIFTING INTO GEAR immediately after doing drain and fill. The new trani fluid you put into the trani has to have a chance to circulate properly before putting it in gear.

Let me know if you need a really good tech to diagnose the problem in the Toronto area.

I had my trani work done by a master technician who won national awards in 2005 when competing against some of the top techs in Japan.

Send me a PM
Old 09-26-06, 04:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

The fluid certainly does need time to circulate.

When I did a test with my uncle to see whether the fluid that one pours in through the tranny dipstick really would come out the front differential hole (with the the tranny pan hole closed)...it seemed like it took a minutes before our test fluid (a little of the old ATF we just drained) came out. So I can imagine that probably also goes for the rest of the system.
Old 09-27-06, 06:40 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove yesterday to work and checked the level of fluid when I got to work and when I got home. At hot, it misses the top Hot mark by maybe.....1mm.....

I will check cold fluid level tomorrow before I go to work.
The jerkness of shifting is random now. Sometimes 2nd to 3rd, sometimes 3rd to 4th....why Lexus why...build a strong transmission will ya!
Old 09-28-06, 09:19 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Default Whats this on TunedRX300's exhaust

Hey TunedRX300,
what is the thing you have rapped around your exhaust on the upper left hand corner of the picture???

Some sort of thermal insulator?
If so why?
Attached Thumbnails Photo DIY:  RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change-rx300-frontdiff-drain.jpg  
Old 09-28-06, 09:39 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fern
Hey TunedRX300,
what is the thing you have rapped around your exhaust on the upper left hand corner of the picture???

Some sort of thermal insulator?
If so why?
Very observant! The down pipe of the exhaust manifold header is wrapped with thermo wrap for insolation. Hotter exhaust gas exits quicker, which reduces back pressure and yields a small amount of horsepower. It is the same concept of ceramic painted header, the engine does not need to waste as much power to push exhaust gas out.
Old 10-17-06, 12:34 AM
cerritos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TunedRX300,

You opened the transfer case drain to drain the transfer case fluid. Is there a filler plug? Do you fill from the filler plug? It seems that you only filled from the transmission dipstick tube. In other words, you implied that they share the same fluid.

Please confirm that I don't need to fill from the filler plug. Thanks.
Old 10-17-06, 03:32 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cerritos
TunedRX300,

You opened the transfer case drain to drain the transfer case fluid. Is there a filler plug? Do you fill from the filler plug? It seems that you only filled from the transmission dipstick tube. In other words, you implied that they share the same fluid.

Please confirm that I don't need to fill from the filler plug. Thanks.
They do in fact share the same fluid and the front differential you are seeing in TunedRx300's picture (where the allen key is located) is drained via the photo and filled in the same place the trani fluid is filled which is the transmission dipstick.

***Be sure to allow newly installed fluid a chance (while vehicle idling) to circulate before shifting between all the gears.***

Once fluid has circulated with vehicle in park and the parking brake on, shift through all the gears and then up to park and with vehicle idling and at the proper operating temperature, check the fluid level.

You will get a more accurate reading once you have shifted through gears as indicated.

Last edited by Fern; 10-17-06 at 03:36 AM.
Old 10-17-06, 05:43 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't be confused ....

The transfer case is a separate unit from the transaxle. It is cast iron cased and uses GL-5 gear oil, filled and drained through separate plugs. The propeller shaft connects to it in the front of the vehicle. The rear differential is attached to the rear of the propeller shaft.

The transfer case and rear differential are only on AWD vehicles.
Old 10-17-06, 06:14 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

This is the transfer case. As Tammy mentioned, only if you have AWD will you have this.
Attached Thumbnails Photo DIY:  RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change-transfercasefill1a.jpg  
Old 10-17-06, 06:17 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

A side of view of the transfer case during the process of draining.
Attached Thumbnails Photo DIY:  RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change-transfercasedrain1b.jpg  
Old 10-17-06, 07:55 PM
cerritos
Driver School Candidate

You guys are great. I appreciate it.

Fern's recommendation of "Be sure to allow newly installed fluid a chance (while vehicle idling) to circulate before shifting between all the gears." is well noted. Thanks.

For a two wheel drive RX, I wonder whether it has a separate filler plug for the transaxle besides the AT dipstick tube.

Last edited by cerritos; 10-17-06 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-18-06, 05:35 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

For a two wheel drive RX, I wonder whether it has a separate filler plug for the transaxle besides the AT dipstick tube.
No.........
Old 10-18-06, 06:26 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Bob's answer is right, no, because it is not listed in the manual.

I found a plug on the back side of the tranny on the top of the front differential area (very hard to see) when I did a tranny drain and fill earlier this year.

See, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214013

I would not touch it, just fill it through the dipstick.
Attached Thumbnails Photo DIY:  RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change-frontdifferentialfill.jpg  
Old 10-19-06, 10:08 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys are great. I appreciate it.

Fern's recommendation of "Be sure to allow newly installed fluid a chance (while vehicle idling) to circulate before shifting between all the gears." is well noted. Thanks.

I read through service manual, nothing indicates the ATF poured from the dip stick hole won't be shared between two components. Lexmex did an experience and found in real life that that is indeed the case, at least for AWD.
The one plug that Lexmex showed above is most likely used at the factory to speed up filling the tranny from dry. A few seconds in assembly line is a lot of $ considering the volume of RX300 that Lexus is pushing out.
Old 10-23-06, 10:59 PM
cerritos
Driver School Candidate

I found out that the tranny drain plug requirs 36 ft-lb torque. Does anyone know what's the torque for the transaxle drain plug?

Quick Reply: Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change