RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-06, 08:44 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluesk
Hmmm.... Guess that's why I got confused... lol I changed the trany fluid & filter about a month ago, dropped the pan and got out as much as I could... but didn't know the "front differential and/or transfer case" shares the fluid.... I'll remember for next time.

I know the rear Differential uses Gear oil, but is there anything else up front that also uses gear oil ?
This is the question that should settle the confusion.
The rear diffential for AWD uses gear oil GL-5, there is no confusion. Using common sense, the front differential basically perform the same function, so it also uses gear oil. Lexmex's thread has good DIY instructions (although he calls it transfer case). The transfer case, therefore, uses ATF and get filled when you pour ATF into the dipstick hole.
Old 07-19-06, 05:57 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The drive system is a little confusing ... The Awd and Fwd uses two different transaxles...

Only pretaining to All Wheel Drive models ....

There is a front "transfer case" the drives the propeller shaft to the rear differential. It is constructed of cast iron, like the rear differential unit. It also uses a quart of GL-5 80W-90 gear oil. Front wheel drive transaxles do not have this unit. The transfer case (above) is driven by the front differential.

On the Front Wheel Drive models ....

Both FWD and AWD have this front differential, as it drives the front wheels. It shares the ATF with the transmission, hence, the combination is a transaxle assembly.

The FWD doesn't have a propeller shaft. FWD doesn't use any GL-5 Gear oil.
Old 07-19-06, 09:49 AM
deepbluesk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tammy
The drive system is a little confusing ... The Awd and Fwd uses two different transaxles...

Only pretaining to All Wheel Drive models ....

There is a front "transfer case" the drives the propeller shaft to the rear differential. It is constructed of cast iron, like the rear differential unit. It also uses a quart of GL-5 80W-90 gear oil. Front wheel drive transaxles do not have this unit. The transfer case (above) is driven by the front differential.

On the Front Wheel Drive models ....

Both FWD and AWD have this front differential, as it drives the front wheels. It shares the ATF with the transmission, hence, the combination is a transaxle assembly.

The FWD doesn't have a propeller shaft. FWD doesn't use any GL-5 Gear oil.
Originally Posted by TunedRX300
This is the question that should settle the confusion.
The rear diffential for AWD uses gear oil GL-5, there is no confusion. Using common sense, the front differential basically perform the same function, so it also uses gear oil. Lexmex's thread has good DIY instructions (although he calls it transfer case). The transfer case, therefore, uses ATF and get filled when you pour ATF into the dipstick hole.
Thanks Tammy & TunedRX300 !!!!! It all makes sense now...
I just didn't want to open a plug expecting gear oil and find I just dumped the new ATF....
Old 07-30-06, 10:23 AM
wing0
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is driving me nuts...
I did a tranny drain about a month and a half ago. Drained both tranny and the front diff.
I know this is not a complete drain, but the car only has 35000km.

Now when I drive, the 2nd gear actually jerk the car back. Every other gear are fine(smooth transition).
I've left the car in the garage for over 24 hrs, but when I look at the dipstick, the fluid goes all the way up to hot mark and beyond that mark.
How do you properly measure the "cool" temperature mark.
When I finish driving the car, the fluid is a little beyond the high mark the last time I remember.
I'm not sure if this is causing the jerkiness of 2nd gear.....
Old 07-30-06, 10:32 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wing0
I did a tranny drain about a month and a half ago. Drained both tranny and the front diff.

Now when I drive, the 2nd gear actually jerk the car back. Every other gear are fine(smooth transition).
I've left the car in the garage for over 24 hrs, but when I look at the dipstick, the fluid goes all the way up to hot mark and beyond that mark.
When I finish driving the car, the fluid is a little beyond the high mark the last time I remember.
How many quarts did you drain and fill? Looks like you overfill the transmission, if you did, drain some ATF to get to the proper level as Salih posted in this thread.
Old 07-30-06, 10:41 AM
wing0
Intermediate

I followed two guides on this forum.
They both said 4 to 4 1/2 bottle is how much should be drained.
I drained both tranny and front diff which adds up around there.
Hence I just put around that amount back in.
I did drain a bit out like a month ago so that it's pretty close to hot mark, but I never seem to be able to measure with the cool mark. How do you measure that?
Old 07-30-06, 09:09 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

I followed two guides on this forum.
They both said 4 to 4 1/2 bottle is how much should be drained.
I drained both tranny and front diff which adds up around there.
Hence I just put around that amount back in.
I did drain a bit out like a month ago so that it's pretty close to hot mark, but I never seem to be able to measure with the cool mark. How do you measure that?
Cold level is what the ATF should be when the engine is cold. I doubt the 2nd gear jerk is caused by ATF level, if I were you, I would either ask a trusted mechanic to check it out or sample ATF and send it off for oil analysis report (check for aluminum, iron level and ATF viscosity).
Old 07-31-06, 06:09 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

You may have added too much fluid. The dipstick tells the tale.

Are you checking the fluid level hot ?

Did you step through the shift selector prior to checking the level; then,with the engine running and in park?
Old 07-31-06, 06:10 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Just FYI so as not to worry too much, my ATF hot level goes up to the IV where it says Type-IV, no doubt over the limit, but have not had a issue...so you have some leeway, but of course I would NOT recommend doing it.
Old 09-12-06, 08:14 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default just finished mine

[IMG][/IMG]

I bought 7 quarts and have put in about 6 1/2 so far. Cleaned the pan and all the magnets. Pretty easy and I would HIGHLY recommend everyone at 75,000+ miles do it, I was surprised how much metal I got out.

I did a drain and fill about 35,000 miles ago but today the fluid came out looking like a silvery chocolate milk.

I let the tranny return line pump out the old fluid, it kind of sputtered and stopped so I assume that meant it was empty, never did get the new fluid to come out the bright cherry red color I was expecting. Shut it down and put in another quart and a half. Going to drive around the block a few times and check it again.
Old 09-13-06, 04:23 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toy4two
I let the tranny return line pump out the old fluid, it kind of sputtered and stopped so I assume that meant it was empty, never did get the new fluid to come out the bright cherry red color I was expecting. Shut it down and put in another quart and a half. Going to drive around the block a few times and check it again.
Good to hear the DIY works and save you $. When you disconnected the cooler line, did you fill the tranny sump with fresh ATF?

Update: re-sized one picture to make DIY instruction more readable.
Old 09-13-06, 04:44 PM
asic_bbc
Driver School Candidate

Do you guys change the crushable washer for the drain bolt? Does the front differential drain bolt use the same washer as the transmission drain bolt?
Old 09-13-06, 05:32 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

The transmission pan and front differential, use the same aluminum seal washers; reusable.

The plugs, both fill and drain, in the transfer case and rear differential use a steel crush washer. I replaced mine.
Old 09-25-06, 07:14 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Just a little update. I've drained more fluid out to see if it helps with the 1st-2nd gear shift. It did...but now it's 2nd-3rd gear that jerks back...
why?

The cool measurement was high, so I keep draining until I see that it's almost touching the top teeth mark of the dipstick and drained a little more. Went out for a drive for around 10km or so. Came back, now fluid barely touch bottom mark of hot. I added a tiny little more, hoping I just made it into the "safety" region....but now the jerk from 2nd-3rd gear is confusing me.

Another thing, is it normal for idle to dip below 800rpm when in reverse gear? I'm a little concerned about deposits on throttle body or could it be the MAF sensor?
Old 09-25-06, 07:36 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Just a little update. I've drained more fluid out to see if it helps with the 1st-2nd gear shift. It did...but now it's 2nd-3rd gear that jerks back...
why?

The cool measurement was high, so I keep draining until I see that it's almost touching the top teeth mark of the dipstick and drained a little more. Went out for a drive for around 10km or so. Came back, now fluid barely touch bottom mark of hot. I added a tiny little more, hoping I just made it into the "safety" region....but now the jerk from 2nd-3rd gear is confusing me.

Another thing, is it normal for idle to dip below 800rpm when in reverse gear? I'm a little concerned about deposits on throttle body or could it be the MAF sensor?
External air temperature can also affect your rpms. This past Saturday at the track, I was dealing with 500 rpm (not the normal 750 rpm) and I was not the only automatic vehicle with rpm issues in the 70F+ heat.

Quick Reply: Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change