RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-06, 09:05 AM
madcityrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to decide if I should tackle this as a novice mechanic, and worse, as an engineer! Do you have a total cost on the new parts and fluid? Does anyone know the approx. cost of a flush performed at a Lexus dealership?

What are the non-cost pros/cons? I assume the pan drop is better from a perspective that you get to remove the metal from the magnets and screen. From the flush side, I assume a flush would refresh 100% of the fluid as opposed to 70% (still good). Are these good assumptions? Any other considerations?

GREAT THREAD!!
Old 06-12-06, 09:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by madcityrx
Trying to decide if I should tackle this as a novice mechanic, and worse, as an engineer! Do you have a total cost on the new parts and fluid? Does anyone know the approx. cost of a flush performed at a Lexus dealership?

What are the non-cost pros/cons? I assume the pan drop is better from a perspective that you get to remove the metal from the magnets and screen. From the flush side, I assume a flush would refresh 100% of the fluid as opposed to 70% (still good). Are these good assumptions? Any other considerations?

GREAT THREAD!!
I think I may have mentioned it earlier in this thread, but the flush for me at Lexus was about $125 USD and I talked about it in that post.

You can always ask them to change out the filter and clean out the pan, too.
Old 06-12-06, 02:00 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by madcityrx

GREAT THREAD!!
Gasket and Oil Restrainer is $46 shipped from Park Lexus in Plano. Toyota T-IV is about $4 per quart, Amsoil is $7 per.
I recommend you to use search (for this forum) and google (outside of this forum) to research on flush vs traditional drain and fill. This topic already "beaten to death" so no need to waste bandwidth here. Here is one opinion, decide if you believe it or not

My personal opinion is drain and fill and disconnecting the tranny cooler line is minimal invasive. You need to replace 40% of ATF to restore chemical balance but obviously replace >40% will allow the ATF to last longer. But it is your car, if you are an engineer by trade, I think you probably interested to find out about data, reasons yourself and then decide.
Old 06-13-06, 01:07 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

This is an excellent DIY post. Thanks TunedRX300 for the detailed step by step instructions with pictures. I do all my oil changes, all filter changes, etc. This will be next on my list of things to do on my cars...
Old 06-19-06, 11:16 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Default Optional External Transmission Filter

Another way to remove metal debris is an external transmission filter such as Magnefine pictured here

Instead of dropping the transmission pan, one can install this filter on cooler return line to the transmission.
http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine...ation_page.htm

For RX300, just order the 3/8 sized filter, and gets two 3/8" clamps from Napa Auto Parts.
Benefits 1) filter non-ferrous particles such as copper and iron particles 2) extend ATF life 3) easier to service than dropping the pan
Drawbacks 1) can't remove metal shavings that magnets and drain plugs already retain 2) need to cut open a section of cooler line to insert the filter 3) no way to exam filter condition (has bypass valve if clogged) must replaced at 20K/one year interval @ $19 per. 4) slight pressure drop but should not be a big problem.

Had I not dropped the tranny pan and changed screen filter, I would have gone this route.
Actually I already bought two 3/8" clamps and two filters but will install it on my Acura TL, which does not have a removable pan and a servicable filter.
Installing the Magnefine filter would be easy on the RX300 if the transmission cooler line is already disconnected in step 10. Will post DIY photos if I change my mind
Old 06-19-06, 11:30 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you TunedRX! It's very helpful! It's time change transmission fluid on my car. great job.
Old 06-20-06, 06:25 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

TunedRX300,

That is one neat filter and would be kind of like a roach motel for the porcupines.
Old 07-09-06, 12:04 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
I found this article on the internet, it explained the drawback of a flush.
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/filter_man_council01.pdf
Personally I prefer to use transmission's own circulation capability to get old ATF out because it is minimal invasive - the tranny pump will circulate ATF whether you disconnect the cooler line or not.
Lexmex has done a flush at a Lexus dealer, perhaps he can share with us his experience.

You raised an interesting point. Actually RX300's replacement engine oil filter (made in Thailand) also has a different design and build quality than the one that came with the car (made in Japan) - synthetic filter material instead of paper to catch 10-20 micro particles. Original oil filter also offers stronger shell design. See a picture posted by another member of this forum.

Similiarly, I find the original tranny oil restrainer with filter has better build quality: metal screen instead of paper filter paper, metal shell instead of plastic. It is very common for this day of age for automaker to outsource parts even designs, what supplier Toyota uses for its factory parts may not be the same supplier for the aftermarket service. The same can be said with servicing different regions, the supplier for Japan Domestic Market is often not the same as that in U.S. The replacement has "made in USA" engraved, not that it is a bad thing, but If I have a choice, I prefer the original metal one (not specified on the country of origin) since it is more durable.
Bad news guys, I just did an oil change on the RX yesterday, Toyota now is using oil filters MADE IN USA. It was disheartening. The new filters do not have that plastic protection on the new filter.
Old 07-17-06, 08:43 PM
deepbluesk
Driver School Candidate

Nice write-up on the "Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change".....

Just wondering how the transfer case gets refilled ??
Old 07-18-06, 05:15 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have used an inexpensive bottle pump to fill the transfer and the rear differential, purchased at any auto parts store. It's easier than the gravity feed method, with less waste since a shorter tube is used...
Old 07-18-06, 06:26 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by deepbluesk

This is a recent thread of mine regarding the transfer case, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214000
Old 07-18-06, 08:55 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by deepbluesk

First of all, people call the front differential and transfer case interchangably here. The transfer case I called in this thread shares the transmission fluid with tranny. They both get filled through the transmission dipstick hole.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 07-18-06 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-18-06, 10:50 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

First of all, people call the front differential and transfer case interchangably here. The transfer case I called in this thread shares the transmission fluid with tranny. They both get filled through the transmission dipstick hole.
Don´t worry, I kept using fuel air sensor, O2 sensor interchangeably and some thought I was talking about the MAF sensor at times.
Old 07-18-06, 08:13 PM
deepbluesk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
This is a recent thread of mine regarding the transfer case, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214000
Great Thread too !!!....

Quick question -> is there a front differential to change also or just the transfer case ?

Thx
Old 07-18-06, 08:27 PM
deepbluesk
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm.... Guess that's why I got confused... lol I changed the trany fluid & filter about a month ago, dropped the pan and got out as much as I could... but didn't know the "front differential and/or transfer case" shares the fluid.... I'll remember for next time.

I know the rear Differential uses Gear oil, but is there anything else up front that also uses gear oil ?

Quick Reply: Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change