Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change

Old 07-01-14, 01:49 PM   #241
pilot2
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

70k miles on 2000 RX300, former owner had Lexus dealer replace 4 quarts on two different occasions. I opted to do a 12-quart change with Toyota transmission fluid. Transmission was drained and that measured 3.5 quarts and another 1/2 quart measured from transfer case--the fluid was dark but not burnt and probably was do for a change. Put in new fluid and drove car for 6-8 miles. Repeated process three times for a total of 12 quarts. Fluid looks really nice. Very simple procedure. From this point forward, in keeping with those who have placed substantial mileage on their transmissions without repairs, I will do the 4-quart drain at 15K mile intervals. At least in this manner, if I have a trans failure I can probably eliminate any concern that it occurred because of a lack of trans fluid changes.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
pilot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-14, 10:50 AM   #242
xchinamanx
Driver School Candidate

In case this helps anyone, my car's transmission was starting to slip a bit. The other day, I went up a steep incline and it just revved really high without engaging.

I purchased the Wix 58618 filter kit (it came with filter, o-ring, and transmission pan gasket), 6 quarts of Royal Purple ATF, and 1 bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix.

I got about 4 quarts by draining, dropping pan, and replacing filter. I did a drain and fill with filter change about 3 years ago and haven't driven the car much since then. The pan had gunk on the bottom and fluid didn't look horrible but was a bit dark. Magnets seemed like they had a normal amount of shaving for 3-4 years. I couldn't get the transfer case plug out as I stripped it a bit. I put everything back in (put all the screws through the pan and gasket before putting back on) and pour 3 quarts of Royal Purple through dipstick hole. I then remove the hose from the cooler and pumped out about 3 quarts. I stopped when the color of the fluid changed and it started to sputter.

I put in another 3 quarts of Royal Purple plus the Lucas Fix (which has the consistency of honey). After test driving, the results were immediately noticeable. Shift were smoother, acceleration more precise, etc.

I'm not sure if it's because I change the filter, replace 6 quarts of ATF, or because of the Lucas but it seems to be working pretty well right now. I'll update in a few months.
xchinamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 02:49 PM   #243
trips1
Rookie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchinamanx View Post
In case this helps anyone, my car's transmission was starting to slip a bit. The other day, I went up a steep incline and it just revved really high without engaging.

I purchased the Wix 58618 filter kit (it came with filter, o-ring, and transmission pan gasket), 6 quarts of Royal Purple ATF, and 1 bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix.

I got about 4 quarts by draining, dropping pan, and replacing filter. I did a drain and fill with filter change about 3 years ago and haven't driven the car much since then. The pan had gunk on the bottom and fluid didn't look horrible but was a bit dark. Magnets seemed like they had a normal amount of shaving for 3-4 years. I couldn't get the transfer case plug out as I stripped it a bit. I put everything back in (put all the screws through the pan and gasket before putting back on) and pour 3 quarts of Royal Purple through dipstick hole. I then remove the hose from the cooler and pumped out about 3 quarts. I stopped when the color of the fluid changed and it started to sputter.

I put in another 3 quarts of Royal Purple plus the Lucas Fix (which has the consistency of honey). After test driving, the results were immediately noticeable. Shift were smoother, acceleration more precise, etc.

I'm not sure if it's because I change the filter, replace 6 quarts of ATF, or because of the Lucas but it seems to be working pretty well right now. I'll update in a few months.
How is the transmission on your car now?
I am running into somewhat similar problem. Did the complete transmission oil as well as pan change 3-4 of years ago and i only drive about 8K per year. And i did plain transmission oil change sometime last year. Recently starting seeing some hesitation in transmission especially when reversing from my garage and occasionally some hesitation in inclines too.
Am going to do another pan drop and change in next few days.

Does folks on this forum encourages use of the Lucas Transmission fix?
Also i already bought the Toyota T4 ATF. I am hoping that is okay and i don't need to look for Royal Purple.
Mine is a 2WD and had the understanding that most of the transmission problems come on AWD. Keeping my fingers crossed now.
trips1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-14, 04:21 PM   #244
Bobadababy
Driver School Candidate

Default Didn't reinstall O-ring on restrainer

Guess I wasn't paying enough attention to instructions because when I poured the old fluid out of catch pan I found the O-ring in the bottom. The car runs fine after doing the work but is it OK if it's not in there?
Bobadababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 04:07 PM   #245
Bobadababy
Driver School Candidate

Default How many O-rings go on filter? 1 or 2?

I have two O-rings but autozone says the new filter does not come with one and that my car takes only one. How is that possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobadababy View Post
Guess I wasn't paying enough attention to instructions because when I poured the old fluid out of catch pan I found the O-ring in the bottom. The car runs fine after doing the work but is it OK if it's not in there?
Bobadababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 04:07 PM