RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 12:44 PM
bgross88
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Verified that Advance Auto carries a metal replacement, so I'll make it easy and just change that puppy out.

Thanks again!
Old 06-30-10, 06:35 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by bgross88
Verified that Advance Auto carries a metal replacement, so I'll make it easy and just change that puppy out.

Thanks again!
Can you please post a pic of the Advance Auto filter before you install it?

Thanks!
Old 07-01-10, 08:18 AM
bgross88
Pit Crew

you bet. I didn't buy it yet. I'm heading out on vacation today, so it won't be until I get back the week of the 9th. Based on the eyeball test, it looks the same as the one posted in this sticky, but we know how that goes.
Old 07-01-10, 12:29 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bgross88

Thanks again!
I'm sure Kragen/O'Reilly Auto Parts can order a metal replacement. Enjoy your vacation...
Old 07-14-10, 08:20 AM
bgross88
Pit Crew

I checked out the advance auto filter, and it has a 1x1 cut in the housing-exposing the filter. It's about 2 inches below the opening where the filter attaches to the transmission internals. I don't see that cut in any of the OEM pictures which concerns me a bit. Once I drop the pan, if I have a metal filter, I will probably clean that up and reuse. Unless someone has seen this type of filter before and doesn't think it's a problem.
Old 08-06-10, 03:47 PM
bufferdan
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Been to the parts stores around here and cant find any Mobil 3309 so i was reading on the back of the bottles and just got some Coastal Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Blend ATF... so do you think this will be fine?

"Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Blend Automatic Transmission Fluid is a premium quality, semi-synthetic transmission fluid designed for use in automatic transmissions in most domestic and import passenger cars and light trucks. This fluid has been formulated to provide smooth shifting and excellent anti-shudder performance in a wide variety of vehicles. It has exceptional shear stability and oxidization resistance of long service life, providing excellent wear protection, and helps protect against sludge and varnish buildup. Approved for ZF application TE ML 03D, 04D, 14B, 16L, and 17C. Suitable for use in most Honda/Acura, Hyundai, Jeep, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi (Diamond SP II or SP III), Nissan, (Matic D, J or K)/Infiniti, Saturn, Toyota (T-III & T-IV)/Lexus/Scion, VW/Audi, most European vehicles including BMW & Volvo, most Asian vehicles including Daewoo, Isuzu, Kia, Mazda and Suzuki. Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Blend Automatic Transmission Fluid is not for use in transmissions requiring Ford Type F or DEXRONVI, or in Continuously Variable Transmissions (CVT) applications"

Last edited by bufferdan; 08-06-10 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-06-10, 06:32 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bufferdan
Been to the parts stores around here and cant find any Mobil 3309 so i was reading on the back of the bottles and just got some Coastal Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Blend ATF... so do you think this will be fine?

"Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Blend Automatic Transmission Fluid is a premium quality, semi-synthetic transmission fluid designed for use in automatic transmissions in most domestic and import passenger cars and light trucks. This fluid has been formulated to provide smooth shifting and excellent anti-shudder performance in a wide variety of vehicles. It has exceptional shear stability and oxidization resistance of long service life, providing excellent wear protection, and helps protect against sludge and varnish buildup. Approved for ZF application TE ML 03D, 04D, 14B, 16L, and 17C. Suitable for use in most Honda/Acura, Hyundai, Jeep, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi (Diamond SP II or SP III), Nissan, (Matic D, J or K)/Infiniti, Saturn, Toyota (T-III & T-IV)/Lexus/Scion, VW/Audi, most European vehicles including BMW & Volvo, most Asian vehicles including Daewoo, Isuzu, Kia, Mazda and Suzuki. Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Blend Automatic Transmission Fluid is not for use in transmissions requiring Ford Type F or DEXRONVI, or in Continuously Variable Transmissions (CVT) applications"
Thats what I'm using in my RX300, and it runs perfect. Shifts like a champ!
Old 08-06-10, 07:02 PM
bufferdan
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Thats what I'm using in my RX300, and it runs perfect. Shifts like a champ!
Awesome...Thanks man, It will be going in tomorrow then. I will drive it for about 1500miles and then do a drain and fill again. Then probably change every 30k if we ever get there
Old 08-20-10, 09:09 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I hate to sound like a moron, but I remember using 10W-90 axle-type fluid in the rear diff when I did a change. I had the dealer do the front transfer case and transmission when I first bought my '99 because the transfer case plug was stuck, so I didn't see what fluid went in the transfer case. Am I to understand that the transfer case and transmission are all using the same reservoir of Toyota ATF fluid? It's ready for a change again. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-21-10, 08:44 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Suggestion! To take the confusion out of the front differential and transfer case

Lexmex, TunedRX300,

I just read through the years of postings on this sticky. BTW, this is an excellent DIY sticky, Thanks!!! I myself was confused (or stil confused )between the different components of the drivetrain and said what? ATF on the transfer case? But the manual says GL-5/SAE90 gear oil. Ok, then how do you fill it back up? Is the front differtial part of the tranny? But after reading through the over a hundred 170 posts everything was clear. I think. Thanks to everyone else who contributed to this sticky!

While reading through the pages, I noted down some notable posts:
#45-47, 67-69, 113, 129, 143
I'm sure there are others that I missed but these were the ones I wrote down so I could refer back to them.

I'm sure it would help a lot of people (and save peeps like me doing research and the experts some time from answering the same questions) if someone condensed/summarized these posts and added other pertinent info with pictures to the beginning of this sticky.

Thanks!
Enz

Last edited by Enz; 08-21-10 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-21-10, 09:06 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

trhs75, check out the posts that I noted down on my previous post. This will answer your question.
Old 08-21-10, 09:19 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by trhs75
I hate to sound like a moron, but I remember using 10W-90 axle-type fluid in the rear diff when I did a change. I had the dealer do the front transfer case and transmission when I first bought my '99 because the transfer case plug was stuck, so I didn't see what fluid went in the transfer case. Am I to understand that the transfer case and transmission are all using the same reservoir of Toyota ATF fluid? It's ready for a change again. Thanks for the help!

As far as I know the correct terminology is "transmission", transmission with a differential built as a unit is a "trans-axle", a "transfer case" is used for AWD applications to transfer torque to the rear wheels where you will find a "rear differential".

So on this car technically you have a "trans-axle" which houses the transmission and front differential. They both share the same ATF. You also have a "transfer case" that sends the power to to back wheels, it uses gear oil. The rear differential uses gear oil too.
The following users liked this post:
Keir333 (03-30-17)
Old 08-21-10, 09:46 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

I say add post #176 to my list! I think what is called what is what's adding to the confusion on this thread. Thanks! Excellent explanation!
Old 08-22-10, 08:20 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I appreciate the help, Enz and Carguy. I had looked at this thread, but I'll confess I didn't read through everything carefully enough to catch those important posts Enz listed. Thank you!

Update: I changed the fluid (just under four quarts) without a hitch thanks to your help!

Last edited by trhs75; 08-29-10 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Update
Old 09-18-10, 08:53 AM
Corrugated
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tuned RX300,

Excellent article, though I noticed that you changed the filter out during this. I worked at a Toyota dealership for 8 years and we would never sell or change the filter when servicing trans axles (mainly due to the original filter having a steel screen, which is reusable). Our procedure was to use a chemical treatment flush machine and reverse flow the whole system (which also cleans the torque converter). This service cost around $100-150 and takes about 30 min to complete. I'd highly recommend that service as required by the owners manual scheduled maintenance.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change