RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-10, 03:17 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

can anyone point out the front differential bolt on AWD toyota higlander? I just did the transmission fluid change this morning, but i cannot find the bolt for front differential, my highlander is 02 V6 AWD, is it different to rx300 tranny?
Old 04-24-10, 04:01 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiois350
can anyone point out the front differential bolt on AWD toyota higlander? I just did the transmission fluid change this morning, but i cannot find the bolt for front differential, my highlander is 02 V6 AWD, is it different to rx300 tranny?
It should be in the same spot, they use the the same U140F tranny for AWDs. Do you have a photo of your underside, perhaps we could assist then.
Attached Thumbnails Photo DIY:  RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change-xfercaseplug2tja.jpg  
Old 04-24-10, 05:45 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

thanks Lemex, i checked, but no bolt in between that 2 bolts of trany part, that weird, i'll take some pics tomorrow for you to look, hope I can find, if it there.
Old 04-26-10, 03:53 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Question for Lexmex. I recently purchased a new transmission shift solenoid for my 1996 ES 300 and I was told by a Toyota mechanic that if I changed one of my transmission shift solenoids it could bring on more problems. I believe you've changed one or more of your transmission shift solenoids on your RX and did you experience any problems after changing one or more of your transmission shift solenoids?
Old 04-26-10, 04:23 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Trexus
Question for Lexmex. I recently purchased a new transmission shift solenoid for my 1996 ES 300 and I was told by a Toyota mechanic that if I changed one of my transmission shift solenoids it could bring on more problems. I believe you've changed one or more of your transmission shift solenoids on your RX and did you experience any problems after changing one or more of your transmission shift solenoids?
I've never had to change them on mine (though I did have them examined the last time the transmission was out 2 years ago) (they were okay).

There's no reason to change it unless you have a problem. Changing it out won't cause an issue either unless you botch the reinstallation or the part perhaps is something substandard to the OEM ones.
Old 05-07-10, 07:00 AM
ngilbert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Everyone,

I recently bought a high mileage (180,000) 2001 RX300 that is in great shape. I was very hesitant to purchase this vehicle after reading about the transmission trouble, but found a nearly complete service record on the lexus owners website which calmed my fears. The transmission fluid is dirty, but doesn't really smell burnt. Regardless, the fluid change needs to be done, I've already ordered 8 qts of Amsoil and picked up a new pan gasket. I was going to get a new filter, but my local Lexus dealer said that they don't typically replace the filters because they will clean them and reuse them. So I have a couple of questions for the community gear heads.

1) I am concerned the synthetic tranny fluid could clean out the transmission and cause premature failure, of a already mature tranny. Is this a valid concern? And should I plan to do it again after 5000 miles or so?

2) Is the filter change not necessary or is the dealership clueless?

3) I am considering an auxiliary filter similar to the magnefine. Would this be a good addition to my tranny?

Thank in advance and thanks to TunedRX300 for this great DIY.
Old 05-07-10, 08:21 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I would get a case of OE fluid and do a series of drain and fills until the fluid looks cherry red. Then if you want to be safe, drop the pan and clean the magnets and clean or replace the filter (cleaning the filter before and after the drain and fills would be even better). I would only replace the filter if you can find another metal mesh one (I think they are making them again). I would only drive 100 miles or so between drain/fills. The Amsoil is a toss up to me, but I would not waste it doing drain/fills. It would be hard for me to switch to a new fluid when the stock stuff got you this far.

I like the magnefine filter but have not done it yet.

My 2 cents.
Old 06-06-10, 07:15 AM
yeuemhoai
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did a pan-dropped Xmission flush with Royal Purple with a breeze thanks to the DIY. One surprise was that all the screws and bolts were rusted not like your pictures :-)

I ordered a 5-gallon pail of RP ATF for ~$8/qt plus a reasonable s/h after quick search online but to my surprise they shipped in two days (PM me for the website).

Thanks again for the DIY since I did not flush the cooler last time.
Old 06-16-10, 03:46 PM
dco5000
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face Drain 7 quarts from Oil Cooler Return?

Rather than draining the 4 quarts from the pan, then disconnecting the oil cooler return, could you disconnect the oil cooler line, pump out 4 quarts, replace 4 quarts clean, then pump out 3 more quarts?

Could this be done while the vehicle is left in park?

Alternatively, could you use a fluid extractor through the oil cooler line and get 3 quarts without starting the vehicle? Could you get 7 quarts this way?

Looking for a way to get 7 quarts, rather than the typical 4 quarts.

(btw: understand this is a RX300 thread, I do happen to be considering doing this for a 2004 AWD RX330, as I can't find any good DIY on the RX330.)
Old 06-16-10, 08:40 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I would want to pull the plug to clean it off (I think it was magnetic) and also let the sedimate on the bottom of the pan run out. I don't think an extractor would suck the fluid out of the torque converter through the cooler line, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.
Old 06-26-10, 10:15 AM
bgross88
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Noobie here! Just bought a 2000 RX300 with 82K. Runs great, but the tranny fluid is nasty. It is basically grey. Doesn't smell burnt tho. I didn't drop the pan but drained it and the transfer case...put about 4.5-4.7 qts back in. The fluid is a bit better, but not much. My question is, how long should I drive it before I drain/fill it again. 100 miles, 500, etc?

Based on it's low miles, I don't feel the need to drop the pan and replace the filter. Both plugs had grey silt on the magnets, but no shavings-which made me feel a bit better.

Thanks for reading!
Old 06-26-10, 11:39 AM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgross88
Noobie here! Just bought a 2000 RX300 with 82K. Runs great, but the tranny fluid is nasty. It is basically grey. Doesn't smell burnt tho. I didn't drop the pan but drained it and the transfer case...put about 4.5-4.7 qts back in. The fluid is a bit better, but not much. My question is, how long should I drive it before I drain/fill it again. 100 miles, 500, etc?

Based on it's low miles, I don't feel the need to drop the pan and replace the filter. Both plugs had grey silt on the magnets, but no shavings-which made me feel a bit better.

Thanks for reading!
Sounds like a flush at the dealer would be cheap insurance. I'm glad I had mine done @ 80K!

bob
Old 06-26-10, 01:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Thanks for reading!
Welcome to the Club.

The only time I'd do a flush would be when it's a pinkish/silvery/grayish fluid, to clean out all the sediment in the system. That happened to me once back in December 2003 and I had it flushed at a Lexus dealer.

You want to change out the filter (only if you have a paper filter rather than the old wire mesh filter you may have) on the 3rd and final.

I use the 100 miles as a guide between the drain and fills (3 in total).
Old 06-30-10, 07:47 AM
bgross88
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks, Lex. Few more questions..I am guessing it's the metal filter, since I have the service records from previous owner and don't see any tranny service. I'm not real comforatble reusing a filter-generally speaking-but certainly don't want to use a paper filter either. If I can't get a replacement metal filter-checking today-is there anyway to clean the original-say with MP Solvent or Carb/Cleaner. Obviously letting it dry before reinstalling. If not, I'm assuming it's not a problem to simply reuse the original filter. 2nd flush is done...one more to go. Fluid already looks much better, and shifting is tons better.

Thanks again!
Old 06-30-10, 08:45 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Thanks, Lex. Few more questions..I am guessing it's the metal filter, since I have the service records from previous owner and don't see any tranny service. I'm not real comforatble reusing a filter-generally speaking-but certainly don't want to use a paper filter either. If I can't get a replacement metal filter-checking today-is there anyway to clean the original-say with MP Solvent or Carb/Cleaner. Obviously letting it dry before reinstalling. If not, I'm assuming it's not a problem to simply reuse the original filter. 2nd flush is done...one more to go. Fluid already looks much better, and shifting is tons better.

Thanks again!
The metal filter can be reused. The only time I'd say no, and this would be pretty obvious, is if you had a dead tranny...then it'd have to be replaced.

I'd shake the filter to see if you hear any metal bits in there. Carb cleaner or any kind of multipurpose spray should work and you can wipe it off and let it dry.

Quick Reply: Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change