RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Aux In for RX300

Old 11-06-06, 04:09 PM
skippy911
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must have a been a loose wire. I unscrewed all the wires and then screwed them back onto the relay and now sound seems to be working perfectly (knock on wood).

Old 11-07-06, 03:38 PM
amiricon
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know how to do this install in the San Diego area? I know nothing about this stuff and would be willing to pay if someone can do this install for my RX300. Or is there a place I can take my car to get it done? Or is there a device that would be easier to do this with? All I have found are aux systems that would disable my CD changer. Please help, thank you in advance.
Old 11-08-06, 02:01 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by amiricon
All I have found are aux systems that would disable my CD changer.
I have a 2002 RX300 w/o NAV and w/ CD changer, and I haven't even found that. I'm curious what is so tough about that combination for the aux system builders.
Old 11-08-06, 06:42 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2200
I have a 2002 RX300 w/o NAV and w/ CD changer, and I haven't even found that. I'm curious what is so tough about that combination for the aux system builders.
Is your question what is tough in building a system?

I Have built a breadboard ckt and then a pc board based complete system [look in CL Audio Video forum].

My problem has been the capital outlay to do mass production and even estimating the market size [if i bothch those numbers I am in hole as this is a very narrow nitch market].

The secondary problem is locating source for a pair of connectors or asking the end user to splice the harness [very few owners are willing to do that]. Or ask them to procure them on their own.

Thirdly the cost of prototype [which becomes non loanable as harness has to be cut] is high (well below $100). Peeps who are adventureous are opting for alternative posted here.

If you have questions of general interest post here or in CL Audio Video forum. I will gladly respond via PM for other questions.

Salim
Old 11-08-06, 07:45 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

No, my question was more like VAIS and others offer solutions for the RX300 w/ NAV, and many other models of Lexus, but mysteriously don't provide product for the RX300 w/o NAV. I was wondering what must be somewhat unique about the RX300 w/o NAV.
Old 11-08-06, 08:06 AM
salimshah

my bad!

I can only speculate ...

Why build a product for a dead (non growing market). It is much wiser to create accessories for the current and emerging markets.

Just imagine the claim would be ..or some thing similar .. "only works with rx300 yr 99-01 with CD and no nav". Not only the product will be laughed off the shelf but you will be dealing with returns.

Salim
Old 11-08-06, 12:27 PM
amiricon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bob2200
Beats me, all I know is that I had an aux put in my Toyota Corolla 2002 and I sold that and need something to play my Ipod in my 2001 Lexus RX300. It's driving me crazy, I really need someone to help me out with this. I need my ipod playing in my car, I'm dead without it. lol Can anyone help in San Diego?
Old 11-29-06, 12:21 PM
mcowher
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
The secondary problem is locating source for a pair of connectors or asking the end user to splice the harness [very few owners are willing to do that]. Or ask them to procure them on their own.
Salim...Did you see my posts about where I got my connectors? I didn't need to splice into the existing wiring at all. Everything was plug and play for me.
Old 11-30-06, 09:59 AM
mwbuck
Driver

I have added descriptions to tomv's closeup of the relay socket in order to help me with the orientation of the wires. Are these descriptions correct?

In addition, how important is the gauge of the aux in wire? In the pic below, it looks like 16 or 18 gauge wire. Will 24 or 22 gauge wire work just as well?

Also, where do you buy the female rca jacks like in the pic below...I can't find them anywhere:

Last edited by mwbuck; 11-30-06 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-05-06, 09:50 AM
eflint
Driver School Candidate

Default Pinouts for head-unit connectors

Equipment: 2003 RX300 w/ Nav.

I'm looking for the most elegant sollution to the ploblem of adding a plug and play auxilliary input to my vehicle. This product (http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundauxlex.html) would cover that need nicely but I really don't feel like spending the $300.

It appears as though the LEXPD device hangs off the audio and control lines and reponds to requests for an auxilliary input device. The head unit probably only turns on it's line-in inputs when either such a request is responded to or the cd changers responds. I'm gonna make an attempt at recreating this. Does anyone have the pinouts for any of the head-unit connectors. I figure that is a good first step.
Old 12-05-06, 05:32 PM
mwbuck
Driver

Alright i did the install. What a piece of cake! Only took about 2 hours total. Everything works great, only issue is that when I have my amp on, nothing comes out of my sub. Flip the switch back to CD, and BOOM BOOM BOOM. Any idea what the problem could be? My amp is getting its signal from the inputs to the factory sub via an LOC like this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eeQ3ERV...PL2&search=loc

Any idea on what could be causing this?
Old 12-07-06, 12:49 AM
amiricon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mwbuck
Alright i did the install. What a piece of cake! Only took about 2 hours total. Everything works great, only issue is that when I have my amp on, nothing comes out of my sub. Flip the switch back to CD, and BOOM BOOM BOOM. Any idea what the problem could be? My amp is getting its signal from the inputs to the factory sub via an LOC like this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eeQ3ERV...PL2&search=loc

Any idea on what could be causing this?
I just had a local installation place do the install for my 2001 RX300 withOUT navigation do the aux install. I paid $200 and very happy with it all, only problem is, the same thing you're talking about is happening with my install. With my Ipod, there isn't much boom boom, but when I flip back to the CD changer it bangs hard. Everything in my RX300 is stock so nothing changed or extra. So yea, what is the problem exactly and what can I tell the guys who did the AUX install to do to get the boom in there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-07-06, 07:21 AM
salimshah

mwbuk & amircon:

Is it difference in volume level you are talking about or just increased bass?

The proper adapter must include something to adjust volume (gain). If you are using phono-out (head-phone/ear-bud) you can adjust that via volume control on ipod.

The module in the picture has two holes on the side... are they for adjusting volume level? If so ask the installer to make the fix.

Salim
Old 12-07-06, 10:23 AM
amiricon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
mwbuk & amircon:

Is it difference in volume level you are talking about or just increased bass?

The proper adapter must include something to adjust volume (gain). If you are using phono-out (head-phone/ear-bud) you can adjust that via volume control on ipod.

The module in the picture has two holes on the side... are they for adjusting volume level? If so ask the installer to make the fix.

Salim
I don't know what the module looks like for me but I know this, the volume is a bit lower on the ipod for me because (I think) nothing comes out of my sub. I get virtually no bass but when I go to CD changer, it bangs hard like it always did. What EXACTLY should I tell this guy to have it fixed? The input that goes into the Ipod runs to the bottom of the Ipod and not into the 3.5 jack for the head phones. I need specifics because I have no idea about this stuff.

Last edited by amiricon; 12-07-06 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-07-06, 11:33 AM
salimshah

Assuming switching is happening for you, then there are only two problems I can think of.

1. Gain (volume ... we discussed it previously)
2. Freq response. [the module should provide even response, low bass to high freq]

When you say "bang", it does not make sense to me [maybe my writeup also does not make sense to you]

The interface that I have built has no issues with the gain and the frequency response. But I am going ipod -> pre-amp out to interface module -> head-unit.

Not confimed but I have heard (hearsay) that built-in in-line amp in Belkin shifts the frequency response ever so slightly.

You have paid for the parts and the installation. Just do a show and tell. You do not need to diagnose or solve the problem. Just do A/B comparison for the installer.

If you change volume level on ipod and the sound level changes then you are NOT getting the pre-out level.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 12-07-06 at 11:49 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aux In for RX300