RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Aux In for RX300

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-14, 09:10 PM
dgsnyder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shumif1
Jab...
remove your glove box and CD changer.. on the back of your CD changer you will see the connector CHA CHA CHA is talking about
Could someone explain how the connections are made at the CD changer 'connector'... are they spliced to the speaker wires or is the connector modified in some way? This would appear to be a useful option... what are the shortcomings, if any? Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-11-14, 07:48 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by dgsnyder
Could someone explain how the connections are made at the CD changer 'connector'... are they spliced to the speaker wires or is the connector modified in some way? This would appear to be a useful option... what are the shortcomings, if any? Thanks for sharing.
Reread this thread a number of times. In summary you hijack the audio out signals from cd and feed the new aux-in. You do not mess with serial link cable and you let the system think that cd is playing.

Salim
Old 08-13-14, 02:22 PM
Krayziedxc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, this works great, i use rca plugs(FEMALES) and solder some wires to it, hook it up to the blue plug, instead of the cd player .Bought an kit off ebay with 3.5mm female, hook up an bluetooth adapter and the sound came out really good with the subwoofer.
Old 03-11-16, 10:58 AM
Marmite
Driver School Candidate

Default Trying to have BlueTooth input and increasing gain to Head Unit

I read this thread some years ago but now after replacing a door actuator headlight assemblies on my RX300 I thought I would try inputting a Bluetooth Receiver to my CD output instead of an Aux In line.

First, I did splice into the Red, Yellow, Green and Black lines with one of each channels going to the Green and Yellow lines and the combined metal shroud attached to the Red and Black lines as the exit the CD player. If I put and empty CD cartridge in, the Error Msg comes up but the aux in plays through the speakers. So one thing I don't quite understand is why a relay is needed to shuttle the four lines from either the Aux in or the CD on the way to the HU. Does keeping all the lines intact somehow degrade the input?

I tried using a Bose BlueTooth receiver which was a bit pricey but I wanted to get a good audio quality. But I found that the gain from the receiver is rather low so the phone and car unit need to be maxed in volume which I'm sure leads to distortion.

So I would like to get some input on several options I am considering:

I looked at the circuit schematics of the CD player and it shows the two audio channels exiting a digital/analogue converter chip. The channels then pass through three pairs of operational amplifier chips before exiting out the rear connector block. So I am wondering if the BlueTooth input could tap into these traces, somewhere upstream from the amplification so that their would be increased gain to the HU. In this case I would expect to cut the four traces and shuttle between the CD and Bluetooth inputs using a 4PDT relay. Anyone know if this is doable, without cooking my CD unit--or worse my HU?

Second option: If I run my phone to my Braven Bluetooth speaker and then run the Speaker output to the Aux In Cable, I get acceptable volume, so the speaker must be amplifying the output signal. I'd just rather not sacrifice my Braven Speaker for this function.

A third option would be to put a pre-amp on the Bluetooth output. For example the Etekcity Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Receiver Audio Adapter (NFC-Enabled) for Sound System which sells for $19 on Amazon. Combined with a headphone pre-amp such as the Fiio E6 Stereo Headphone Amplifier that sells for about $30 on Amazon. I don't know if this output would be compatible with the input needs of the HU.

Finally, since the combo Bluethooth/Pre-amp is a bit cumbersome, costly and perhaps not well matched, I thought perhaps getting a mid range Bluetooth headphone might accomplish the same function, and I would just need to disassemble it and put the headphone speaker leads to the Aux In line. But again, I have no clue if this output would be too high for the HU to handle.

Anyway if anyone has any thoughts or expertise in these matters, I'd appreciate your input. I will try to include the CD schematic diagram in which I tried to highlight the audio streams in the CD circuit. I also thought I might try tapping into the Cassette out leads as they go into the Main Unit in the HU. But this would have the problem of needing the cassette running to turn on this circuit, unless I incapacitate the power to the tape drive unit--perhaps with the same relay that is shuttling the input from the Tape Deca to the Aux in.

Thanks, if anyone still follows this thread.

Doug
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Head Unit Circuits--Final.pdf (585.4 KB, 263 views)
File Type: pdf
Cassete Circuits--Final.pdf (243.4 KB, 212 views)
Old 08-28-16, 08:55 AM
lakeside
Driver School Candidate

Thanks you so much for the instructions.
Old 08-28-16, 09:23 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Has any one looked at the cassette tape unit for test points. [Please check the AUX-in for SC 300/400 Forum].

Salim
Old 09-07-16, 06:50 AM
PhilTyler
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Has any one looked at the cassette tape unit for test points. [Please check the AUX-in for SC 300/400 Forum].

Salim
I'm very interested in this aspect as well. There are sooo many posts about getting a simple aux in into this vehicle that its overwhelming. I suppose this post only adds to the problem.
Its 2016 now and my kids are driving this vehicle. All there music comes from their phones. They will never play a CD nor a cassette tape (which they may have never seen).
Is there a simpler hardwire solution if there is no need to preserve any source (except radio)

Side note, the cheap cassette tape solution has been tried and it appears there is something wrong with the vehicle cassette player. It drops out one of the channels so no sound from the left speakers
Used a cassette cleaner which helped for about 30 min. Anyway, it compounds the need for different solution than the cassette with a line out.
Old 09-07-16, 06:53 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilTyler
I'm very interested in this aspect as well. There are sooo many posts about getting a simple aux in into this vehicle that its overwhelming. I suppose this post only adds to the problem.
Its 2016 now and my kids are driving this vehicle. All there music comes from their phones. They will never play a CD nor a cassette tape (which they may have never seen).
Is there a simpler hardwire solution if there is no need to preserve any source (except radio)

Side note, the cheap cassette tape solution has been tried and it appears there is something wrong with the vehicle cassette player. It drops out one of the channels so no sound from the left speakers
Used a cassette cleaner which helped for about 30 min. Anyway, it compounds the need for different solution than the cassette with a line out.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...tallation.html
Old 09-07-16, 09:01 AM
PhilTyler
Driver School Candidate

Fantastic, Thank you