RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

po171 code

Old 05-24-06, 01:50 PM
tracyinva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am off to get my car.. he said he drove 40 miles and no engine light..he put some kind of ultra gas in also..said I had dirty gas.. I think it was 97 octane? Anyways. I will report later.. wish my luck..come on no engine light!
Old 05-25-06, 05:28 AM
tracyinva
Driver School Candidate

Sure enough within 17miles my check engine light came on yet again. I turned it around on the way home and dropped it off.This is the 4th time I am taking it into the shop. How can you not know how to fix a car after 3 repair attempts?!!
Old 05-25-06, 08:12 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I would take that entire list I mentioned earlier of P0171 problem areas to them and have them go through it one by one.
Old 05-25-06, 08:20 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

BTW, I looked over your previous posts and maybe I didn't catch it, but has anyone taken a look at the air filter to see if it needs replacing? Normally, it should cause a rich condition if extremely dirty, but I know of cars I have seen where it actually will touch off a P0171 (the reason in that case is rather complex to explain).
Old 05-25-06, 08:30 AM
tracyinva
Driver School Candidate

They replaced the air filter when I got an oil change when I orginally bought the car. I am guessing there is only one air filter. I am getting ready to call this guy at the shop and see whats going on now.
Old 05-25-06, 12:19 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Another thing came to mind.

I actually take pride in getting a lean error at high altitude with all of my performance modifications and usually I find that my RX runs at the track very well just before or after one as that is ideal for performance.

However, before I did the modifications, I would get P0171 errors when everything else would check out (such as a dirty MAF and dirty air filter).

There would be trips I would take nearby where there was not much of an altitude change, but the error would pop up, even when my father and I would have our holiday trip up in Texas.

He and I both noticed that the the top of the airbox, even when shut properly, still had some space whereby engine air could get inside. That extra engine air getting in there could be sneaking in those passages (I think the airbox must get a little warped) and with just a little more air for a brief second, that would be enough to throw the light.

I remeber on a trip up to San Luis Potosi, I got one of those, and then later the light went off by itself.

My solution until I went with a Weapon-R ram air filter was to duct tape the air box.

If I think of something else, I will let you know.
Old 05-25-06, 12:24 PM
tracyinva
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all your help. The only thing the service station can think of where my car is at is to replace the third and final sensor. I dont know why it comes on, but it seems like it comes on after the car has a chance to warm up or when I take it on the highway. I have been without a car fo at least 7 days off and on now from taking it back in forth. I hope they can figure it out soon.
Old 05-25-06, 01:17 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I was in Northern Virginia for all of a week with my RX until headed south and too bad I can't see your RX up close to help better as I can imagine in the same position I would be going out of my mind with that little light popping up and trying to find an answer.

I think the idea that was mentioned about using the hand held scanner to see the freezeframe of when the error occurred (if indeed related to the O2 sensors) is an excellent idea and would narrow it down.

Having emissions testing in NOVA won't help much either unlike my home state of Florida.

Some of you may rememebr my racing buddy with the RX7 who popped in here once when we discussed my high altitude cooling situation. He just moved back to NOVA and couldn't pass emissions even though everything was tuned up and returned back to the way he had it when it was still in Virgina. I can't imagine what Mexico City did to his vehicle, even though my little RX passes voltunarily up here without a hitch.
Old 05-26-06, 08:48 AM
tracyinva
Driver School Candidate

Its just frustating because I have been withotu a car for a week and they can't seem to fix it. I'm not frustrated so much about the engine because I am sure its something minor, but the fact they can't fix it right after 4 attempts is a little obsurd. They are working on it again today. I am in Alexandria, and if you are every up this week let me know .. I am sure you have more experience than these "so called" mechanics that are working on this. I will probably pick up the car tomorrow again.
Old 05-26-06, 09:13 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tracyinva
Its just frustating because I have been withotu a car for a week and they can't seem to fix it. I'm not frustrated so much about the engine because I am sure its something minor, but the fact they can't fix it right after 4 attempts is a little obsurd. They are working on it again today. I am in Alexandria, and if you are every up this week let me know .. I am sure you have more experience than these "so called" mechanics that are working on this. I will probably pick up the car tomorrow again.
I am still waiting to start my new job in Mexico (a lot of preparations and I need to await a visa transfer meanwhile), but I am supposed to travel to a lot of places (not much time for racing but will be time for turbo and , respectively. My parents do still live up in DC so that is the reason I might get back up there.

Let's see what the result is today with your situation.
Old 05-26-06, 11:12 AM
tracyinva
Driver School Candidate

Also I know you took your rear spoiler off. I just unscrew the spoiler correct? What type of material do I use to fill in the holes where I took it out?
Old 05-26-06, 11:37 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tracyinva
Also I know you took your rear spoiler off. I just unscrew the spoiler correct? What type of material do I use to fill in the holes where I took it out?
Well the spoiler can be removed by taking off all the screws and then you literally have to pull it off after that. Second, one has to put the screws back in so that the filler paste (sold at places that sell auto paint) will not seap in to the roof area and then you paint.

I wouldn't do this project on my own as it really needs someone who is a professional with this stuff. Removing the spolier does not leave a nice clean area that can be a DIY job.
Old 05-26-06, 11:54 AM
tracyinva
Driver School Candidate

Would I Just take it to an auto body shop to get an estimate to see how much they would charge? I wouldn't try to do this myself. I probably would really screw it up
Old 05-26-06, 12:10 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Body shop or one that does paintwork as they can do the filler paste stuff.
Old 05-29-06, 08:05 AM
tracyinva
Driver School Candidate

I just wanted to say they fixed my car. It was some sort of defective part. no light after 2 days. I probably wont' be posting until I need to anymore. My cat had to go the emergency vet for kidney failure yesterday and I am going to be taking of her until she passes. thanks for everyones help with car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: po171 code