RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

po171 code

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 06:24 AM
tracyinva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Generally speaking the error code comes up within 25 miles of driving.

Last time it came on within 6 miles of driving but its never more than 25 miles of driving.

I am just waiting to hear back from the service station down the street. Where its being fixed. Now I have yet another problem. I got a new computer for car the lexus dealership over the weekend with a new master key. Well the problem is the remote only works 1/2 the time and now sometimes the center console dosent shut off when I turn the car off . Also the door locks within 1 minute after I open the car door (that might be normal?). Should I take that problem back to the lexus dealership?
Old 05-22-06, 08:27 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

History reveals that when these sensors are replaced (O2 & MAF), the Toyota Denso ECU (engine control unit) computer prefers "Denso" brand over "Bosch" brand replacement parts. The sensor resistance values are slightly different with the German brand against the Japanese brand. This may persent a resistance value normal to the sensor, but that value is meeting an error extreme to the computer. We cannot reprogram the computer error limits to the sensor. It's Denso's way of keeping their parts in your auto; and the German parts in their autos.

The Bosch part is not as expensive and tend to be replaced as the factory part. But, this may have introduced a sensor that will create intermittant errors to the computer. It may give the same error you had prior to replacing the part.
And who says the replacement part is bad, since it is functioning as designed. It's just the wrong part for the application... even though it physically fits the the engine. It has created a sensor mismatch.

Usually, the sensor is effecting the engine fuel controls, so you are using more fuel than is needed for proper, clean combustion. So, the catalytic converter does't burn off the excess emissions, a different sensor picks up the rich exhaust emission and errors after engine warm up.
Old 05-22-06, 09:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

What Tammy is saying is 100% correct. If the Denso O2 sensor wasn't used, problems will occur. This issue even occurs in non-Lexus vehicles down here and yet aftermarket O2 sensor providers continue to hammer out they are a perfect substitute.

One other thing I wanted to mention the other day, normally if you turn on the RX it takes, by my calculations, 13 minutes from a cold start to warm up. See if the error pops up that way or only then after you take it out on the road. The idea being that only idle air will be working with it warming up, whereas when you accelerate you are taking more air than idle and it could suggest something along the air intake path. Obviously, we have to wait until you get your RX back.

With regard to the other issues, there is probably a better expert on those here in CL.

I do know that my RX also locks the doors in the same manner and has done so from the first time I disconnected the battery while down here in Mexico (and since I last saw my Lexus dealer up north). I know this has to do something with the active/passive alarm system. The center console issue is something I have never seen on this forum with the car turned off. There is something known (and I know one of the other forum members will bring it up) regarding C-Best options that related in part to how the key functions with relationship to the door and windows among other things.

I occasionally have had the problem with the remote, even after changing the battery. Not sure if the button was misaligned or what.

Can one of the other forum member chime in on my last paragraph?
Old 05-22-06, 10:54 AM
tracyinva
Driver School Candidate

My problem also is that I have to take to the gas station the dealer uses to get this thing fixed. Its about 2pm EST and they still haven't called. I don't think they have any idea how to fix it. The light normally doesn't come on to my knowledge until after the car has been driven for a certain amount of time. I haven't let it sit and idle to see if the light would come on. I tried last night cleaning the MAF sensor because some said it might get dirty. I did that and sure enough that did not work the light came back within 5 miles of driving it. I will have to wait and see what this service station says this time. Thanks for everyones advice
Old 05-22-06, 10:59 AM
tracyinva
Driver School Candidate

Also, I know this is not the place maybe to ask this in this subject, but is it physically impossible to put any in dash type of dvd system in these cars?
Old 05-22-06, 11:03 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tracyinva
Also, I know this is not the place maybe to ask this in this subject, but is it physically impossible to put any in dash type of dvd system in these cars?
I have seen this done in a magazine, HyperRev, where they replaced the central console unit with a postmarket DVD screen, but they had to relocate the central console below or in the glove compartment since their are nonradio applications associated with it.

I actually considered (any may do after my performance mods are all done) place a dvd unit just above the central console.
Old 05-22-06, 11:06 AM
tracyinva
Driver School Candidate

eh I think i will pass on that. That sounds like it would be mega expensive. I will see if I can get a windshield mounted dvd player with gps if they make that. Thanks for the quick answer .
Old 05-22-06, 11:17 AM
tracyinva
Driver School Candidate

Well I called the service station and they told me they haven't even looked at the car yet. They said it might not be until tomorrow.

grrrrrrrrrr. I hate that place!
Old 05-22-06, 11:49 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Well I called the service station and they told me they haven't even looked at the car yet. They said it might not be until tomorrow.

grrrrrrrrrr. I hate that place!
Just curious as to where you are in VA. I used to live in the DC area.
Old 05-22-06, 01:30 PM
tracyinva
Driver School Candidate

I am in Alexandria, but bought the car in fairfax..the place is right off of lee highway at a sunoco station.
Old 05-22-06, 01:51 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I am in Alexandria, but bought the car in fairfax..the place is right off of lee highway at a sunoco station.
I actually also bought my RX at a Saturn used car lot on Lee Highway in Fairfax.
Old 05-23-06, 07:33 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

tranyinva,

Does the new MAF sensor have the following molded into it's top surface?

TOYOTA
22204-07010
TN197400-2040
DENSO
> The Part's Serial Number <
( five digits)

The only way to determine if the O2 sensor is Toyota Denso is to replace it again with a Denso part; unless the service station can prove it was purchased through a Toyota/Lexus parts supply. I reviewed this in a previous posting. This is your auto now, not the dealers. You should decide what parts are installed in your auto.

If your are not confident with the repair shop they are providing, insist on taking it to a dealer for repairs. Check the condictions needed for your states "lemon laws" and use this against the used dealer, if needed.

In my state, if the "check engine" is on, the auto fails emissions tests automatically.
Old 05-23-06, 11:38 AM
tracyinva
Driver School Candidate

Here is the deal with my car. I have no clue with this means. This what I was told by mechanic. The car 3 sensors. He replaced the o2 sensor. Now he is relacing a 2nd sensor . I have no idea if its the mass air flow or which one it is. I dont know about the part number. I will have to check tomorrow when I get it back.
Old 05-23-06, 11:53 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

The mass air flow sensor is between the air leaner box and the throttle air horn at the top of the engine, nest the brake fluid reservoir.. There is a five wire cable jack plugged into it.

There are three exhaust sensors. One located into each exhaust manifold and one downstream of the secondary catalytic converter; ahead of the muffler.
Old 05-23-06, 12:10 PM
tracyinva
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the info Tammy. So the 02 sensor is something different? Thats what they already replaced

Quick Reply: po171 code