RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear Differential & Transfer Case DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-10, 02:05 PM
MOmar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Socket size

Originally Posted by Lexmex
A closer shot of the filler plug.
Hey, thanks for the awesome pictures and instructions!
What size wrench or socket did you use?
Old 12-07-10, 04:37 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by MOmar
Hey, thanks for the awesome pictures and instructions!
What size wrench or socket did you use?
For tools, a 3/8ths or 10 mm hex wrench for the rear differential and a 15/16ths or 24mm bolt adapter on to a torque wrench will do the job.

Last edited by Lexmex; 12-07-10 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-11-10, 07:07 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This string is so long and it might have been written but I just missed it... but the transmission takes 4 quarts drain/fill, but how much more does the front differential take for drain and fill on AWD models?

I should have read this before draining and filling my transmission... as now I wonder if I should drain and fill again with the front differential too, or now just drain the front diff. and fill the amount (from fill tube).

Thank you.
Old 12-11-10, 08:44 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I go through 4 1/4 quarts every time when I pop both plugs. But since they are connected together if you remove just the differential plug you will get a lot more than just that last 1/4 quart. I would say drive it for a week or so and do it again with both plugs. I definitely get some junk out of the differential. Unless you have done a few drain and fills recently it is probably a good idea to do a couple in a row anyway.
Old 12-12-10, 07:11 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Keep in mind that my thread is only about the transfer case and rear differential that uses gear oil, not the transmission that uses ATF. I don't want to confuse people.
Old 12-12-10, 07:40 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cleared

Keep in mind that my thread is only about the transfer case and rear differential that uses gear oil, not the transmission that uses ATF. I don't want to confuse people.
Actually your thread cleared up my initial confusion that the plug just behind the transmission plug (10mm hex) was for the transfer case. That was why I did not open it because I could not find another plug back there that looked like the fill plug.

Then seeing your thread, I then thought "what the? that looks nothing like what I saw back there..." and then it hit me that there's a front diff. a transfer case, and a rear diff. (which I already knew where it was).

Anyway, I'll have to drain again at some point in next few weeks and just fill up again with 4.5 or whatever it takes, I'll take care to measure off and make sure it's level.

Thank you.
Old 01-25-11, 08:12 PM
jiciong
Driver School Candidate

hi morning,

Is this amsoil severe gear good for rear differential and transfer case??
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx

i am planning to change with this gear oil, will it harm and damage??
cause i read this amsoil review some is positive some is negative, a bit doubtful here.

Besides, how about RP compare to this??

Thanks

Last edited by jiciong; 01-25-11 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-26-11, 05:22 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jiciong
hi morning,

Is this amsoil severe gear good for rear differential and transfer case??
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx

i am planning to change with this gear oil, will it harm and damage??
cause i read this amsoil review some is positive some is negative, a bit doubtful here.

Besides, how about RP compare to this??

Thanks
That stuff is fine, too. I know some people who like the Severe Gear Oil over the the plain 75W90 they sell. If Amsoil had been more widely available in Mexico (it was a bear too import), I would have used the SVG given the conditions I had there. Being in flat Florida, I am continuing to use Royal Purple, but have been planning next time to try Redline's 75W85.

For a while in Mexico when I could not get Royal Purple, I actually used BMW's 75W140 gear oil and no issues. I later used Pennzoil Synthetic 75W90, but wasn't as happy with that as I was with the RP.
Old 01-28-11, 08:46 AM
jiciong
Driver School Candidate

That stuff is fine, too. I know some people who like the Severe Gear Oil over the the plain 75W90 they sell. If Amsoil had been more widely available in Mexico (it was a bear too import), I would have used the SVG given the conditions I had there. Being in flat Florida, I am continuing to use Royal Purple, but have been planning next time to try Redline's 75W85.

For a while in Mexico when I could not get Royal Purple, I actually used BMW's 75W140 gear oil and no issues. I later used Pennzoil Synthetic 75W90, but wasn't as happy with that as I was with the RP.

Thank you Sir..
Today i just changed the Severe Gear Oil, so far so good, havent really try for long journey yet.

Mayb 2 month later will change Toyota Type IV to Amsoil ATF as well, then see how is the tranny perform.
Old 02-17-11, 03:07 PM
SmittysGX
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read threw most of this thread but not all, sorry lazy..... I just noticed a new leak on my 04 GX and it looks as if it is coming from the transfer case. Dealer says $1200 bucks to fix... WOW I dont think so. I hope not to highjack here but has anyone else had this leak and successfully fixed it?
Old 02-18-11, 08:17 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SmittysGX
I read threw most of this thread but not all, sorry lazy..... I just noticed a new leak on my 04 GX and it looks as if it is coming from the transfer case. Dealer says $1200 bucks to fix... WOW I dont think so. I hope not to highjack here but has anyone else had this leak and successfully fixed it?
No problem on the hijack

You have to see where the leak is coming from. Is it on one of the side seals on the transfer case (round rubber-like rings) or on top like mine. You'd get a sulfur like smell if that is the gear oil.

I helped rectify my situation by using a 75W140 fluid for a bit as oppposed to the 75W90 when I was in Mexico to help kill a topside fluid leak, but it can to an extent help the side. However, changing to a heavier fluid is not a cure. Eventually, the the round seals on the sides of the transfer case need to be pulled and replaced and it's not cheap in terms of time.
Old 02-18-11, 10:19 AM
SmittysGX
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem on the hijack

You have to see where the leak is coming from. Is it on one of the side seals on the transfer case (round rubber-like rings) or on top like mine. You'd get a sulfur like smell if that is the gear oil.

I helped rectify my situation by using a 75W140 fluid for a bit as oppposed to the 75W90 when I was in Mexico to help kill a topside fluid leak, but it can to an extent help the side. However, changing to a heavier fluid is not a cure. Eventually, the the round seals on the sides of the transfer case need to be pulled and replaced and it's not cheap in terms of time.
Thank you I will wipe it completely clean and take a closer look to see where the leak is and go from there. Awesome and again thank you!!!
Old 08-15-14, 12:08 AM
Phantom410
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Great thread Lex. I plan on doing this later in the month after I get the new cat and resonator installed on mine. Quick question, has anyone found a replacement bolt for the filler plug? Just by looking at it now and thinking of future fluid changes, I want that nuisance gone as soon as possible. Dealing with it once seems like more than enough :P
Old 08-20-14, 07:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Phantom410
Great thread Lex. I plan on doing this later in the month after I get the new cat and resonator installed on mine. Quick question, has anyone found a replacement bolt for the filler plug? Just by looking at it now and thinking of future fluid changes, I want that nuisance gone as soon as possible. Dealing with it once seems like more than enough :P
Welcome to the Club.

If you are talking about the rear one, there is a clearance problem on the height of the head of the plug.
Old 08-20-14, 11:16 PM
SandyBeach
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the awesome thread Lex. I followed your instructions and did this job almost 3 years ago. Now with almost 40k miles, it's almost time to do it again. How fun. But your instructions really made the job much easier, and we all thank you. BTW, I used Royal Purple. When I change it out in the near future, I'm curious how the fluid will look when it comes out.

I hate to get off subject, but am I correct in assuming it's probably a higher priority for me to replace the power steering fluid and brake fluid over the diff and transfer case gear oils. Given that it's been about 3 years and almost 40k miles, if you had to choose between doing 2 separate jobs, which would you give more priority to.

A. Power Steering fluid and Brake fluid replacement
B. Differential and Transfer Case fluid replacement

The reason I have to choose is because I only have very limited time to do it this Saturday. It will take a good portion of the day since I plan to also include a DIY oil change. After I complete one of the options above, I can knock out the other option in the next month or two. So which would you choose?

Also, when I do the brake fluid replacement (flush), you mentioned in one of your earlier post that you started using Pentosin Dot 4 brake fluid. Would this still be your choice over Valvoline Syn Dot 3&4? Thanks Lex for your guidance.

Quick Reply: Rear Differential & Transfer Case DIY