RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Accidental Remote Window opening

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-01, 09:05 AM
JerseyBoy17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My wife and I just purchased a '01 RX-300.

Within one week of ownership, we've returned to our parked RX only to find all windows and moonroof opened and all doors unlocked. Apparently, the "Remote-linked moonroof and window opening" feature on our key fob was accidentally activated. My keys were in my pants pocket and my wife's were in her purse. Don't know which set activated it. Luckily it wasn't raining and nothing was stolen.

Has this happened to anyone else?!

Is there a fix or remedy to this besides storing the keys differently?

Thanks.
Old 09-05-01, 11:24 AM
sathomasga
Driver School Candidate

Interesting. I haven't really tested this (only had the RX300 a couple of weeks), but, on mine, if you use either the remote or the keyhole to automatically roll down the windows, it automatically locks the doors after a short period (haven't timed it). Maybe that's something the dealer can set up with the C-BEST gizmo?

Stephen
Old 09-05-01, 11:51 AM
rraool
Driver School Candidate

I believe that the remote can be programmed. Why don't you go to your dealer and have them re-program it. Personally, I kinda like the features of the remote. One click, it unlocks the driver side, hold down the unlock button for more than 5 seconds and it rolls down the windows and moonroof until you released it. Two consecutive clicks of the unlock button, it unlocks ALL doors. By locking it manually (using key), it rolls up all windows and locks all doors. I think that's pretty cool. Specially, when I show it off to my friends .
Old 09-05-01, 01:15 PM
JerseyBoy17
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your input. But what would the purpose of re-programming it be? To eliminate the remote window/moonroof opening feature?

I think this feature is best suited for warm/hot climates and/or in the summer. Since I live in New Jersey, it would work well for about 3-1/2 months out of the year. Based on my experience so far, I'd rather not have it.

Note that I've never had any accidental unlocking with my Ford Expedition remote. Perhaps it's not as sensitive as the Lexus' or perhaps the remote buttons are more recessed.

Regardless, I'll have to call my dealer (Warnock Lexus in Livingston, NJ).
Old 09-05-01, 03:53 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

From my experince with the remote activated windows - the range to roll down the windows isn't as far as the range for unlocking the RX. It's odd that yours were rolled all the way down (they are ALL the way down right?). Becuase the button on the remote has to be held down the whole time the windows are going down and the sunroof is always last to finish opening.

Also, with reguards to the vehicle being locked. When the unlock button is pressed on the remote and no doors are opened then the vehicle will automatically lock itself back after so long. This is how you can use the remote to roll down the windows and if you don't open any doors the RX will re-arm itself and if anyone tries to unlock it from the inside the alarm will go off.

Still eerie that you came back to the RX with all the windows down
Old 09-06-01, 06:29 AM
quazi
Driver School Candidate

Question Happened to me too

This happened once to me. I was in a restaurant and came out to find my windows down! ALL THE WAY. It never happened again, and this is the only time in 2 years of ownership that this happened.

I have trouble TRYING to get the windows down when I want them to go down

Perhaps there was some inference around, like a microwave, radar or other type of broadcast that made this happen?