RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Sear's Diehard Gold Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-06, 04:38 PM
LEXMICK
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sear's Diehard Gold Batteries

Has anyone had experience with DieHard Gold batterie's? I've heard a lot of good things about them. It's time to replace my battery and I'm looking for a good replacement, warranty wise and dependability wise. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-03-06, 04:59 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LEXMICK
Has anyone had experience with DieHard Gold batterie's? I've heard a lot of good things about them. It's time to replace my battery and I'm looking for a good replacement, warranty wise and dependability wise. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

I've used them many times in the past. Not on any of my current cars since I'm using Optima batteries on them, but I had no problems with the Die Hard and those probably would be my choice otherwise.
Old 04-03-06, 05:12 PM
LEXMICK
Rookie

Thanks for the info. I am also considering the Optima Red Top. But installation has to be jury rigged and their prices are a lot more than DieHard. Another factor why I am more inclined to get the DieHard is because it has a 3-year replacement warranty plus a 100-month pro-rated warranty whereas Optima has only 2-year replacement warranty plus a shorter pro-rated warranty. For these reasons I think I'm going for the DieHard Gold. Do I make sense?
Old 04-03-06, 05:25 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a Costco membership I highly suggest you purchase your next battery from there. They carry their own Kirkland brand that is made by Johnson Controls (who also makes Die Hard). These batteries are very competitive in terms of price and have great quality.

The only potential deterrent I see with them is their slightly above average CCA (cold cranking amps) rating. But seeing you are in California, it doesn't matter that much.

In addition, don't worry too much about the pro-rated warranties because by the time you go through the hassle of getting a replacement, you will only be saving a few bucks. Replacement warranties are the best, but most batteries will last > 4 years which usually exceeds the replacement range. As a rule of thumb I change the battery every 4-5 years. Gives me peace of mind and doesn't break the wallet.

Last edited by bizzy928; 04-03-06 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-03-06, 05:28 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LEXMICK
Thanks for the info. I am also considering the Optima Red Top. But installation has to be jury rigged and their prices are a lot more than DieHard. Another factor why I am more inclined to get the DieHard is because it has a 3-year replacement warranty plus a 100-month pro-rated warranty whereas Optima has only 2-year replacement warranty plus a shorter pro-rated warranty. For these reasons I think I'm going for the DieHard Gold. Do I make sense?

Makes perfect sense too me. The reason why I run Optima batteries is because of the dual top and side posts. Since I have a lot of A/V gear and aftermarket stuff in my cars, I generally run the stock terminals on the top posts and run my accessories and A/V power wires from the side posts. To get the Red Top in my 04 RX330, I had to use a 3/4" battery spacer plate, mount the battery on its side so the original side posts are not on top, and modify the tie down strap. I had to do this because my battery died suddenly and I needed the battery ASAP and unfortunately the only ones in stock had the posts on the wrong side., I bought it anyway since I needed to get my system up and running for an upcoming car show. It actually came out pretty good
Old 04-03-06, 07:31 PM
LEXMICK
Rookie

Thanks CK and Bizzy. Both of you have strong points. I will take them into consideration in my choice.
Old 04-03-06, 09:00 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

LEXMICK,

I had experience with the Diehard Gold (South series) back in 2003 intermingled with two Lexus OEM batteries (that were horrible). I ran one OEM battery for about 6 months or so after getting a replacement under warranty in San Antonio, then switched to the Diehard Gold. I later tried another Lexus OEM again to see if there were any differences, but by the time I noticed the OEM battery was the pits (those resetting the clock and other issues), I switched to the Optima Red Top. You cannot go wrong on either the Diehard or the Optima. I only run the Optima for better performance.

As I have said before, if you plan to keep your RX for a long period of time, go with the Optima Red Top. It is not as hard to fit it in as you think. Costco sells them along with Interstate (where I got mine since they had the 34/78 version I had wanted. Interstate actually installed it for me.
Old 04-03-06, 09:38 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Are DieHars sealed type? If not then pass. Only buy sealed type battery.

My vote is for Optima. .. [Clocks shows accurate time and temp display is more accurate]. RX fires up real quick, but on GS the cranking is much shorter and spin is much faster with Optima.

Salim
Old 04-04-06, 01:22 PM
shawnst
Driver School Candidate

what type (or model) of Optima battery will work on RX300?
I went to Optima battery's web site, entered vehicle information (99-03 RX300), and the system did not find any matching battery for it?!
Old 04-04-06, 02:25 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't used a Sears battery for many, many years. But I did replace my OEM battery last summer with a premium battery (orange color) from Autozone. Installation was simple, free and the battery works great. No problems at all through the winter.
Old 04-04-06, 06:26 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnst
I went to Optima battery's web site, entered vehicle information (99-03 RX300), and the system did not find any matching battery for it?!
You want the Red Top series known as 34/78, http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...cal_specs.html

True, not one you can just drop in.

I did not need the tray that bumps it up in height. i did have to cut the battery ties to stretch the battery cables. In this picture, the side terminals described earlier are on the front.
Attached Thumbnails Sear's Diehard Gold Batteries-revisedhypervoltage.jpg  
Old 04-04-06, 06:30 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnst
Shawn:

Search will answer all your questions. Including steps to take to jury rig the set up. You will also find pictures.

Optima is not a drop-in and that is why you dont see a match. The choices are red-top, yellow-top and maybe a blue top (not sure).

For normal use red-top is good. If you are running extra 12v equipment ... Amps and stuff on, with engine not running, shell out extra $$ for a yellow top.

There is atleast one post which talks about deep charge cycle needed (looong trip or better still a charger overnight) to keep optimas in good shape.

Salim
Old 04-05-06, 05:49 AM
shawnst
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys!
Old 04-05-06, 06:17 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple other comments on the Autozone battery. It's also made by Johnson Controls and it dropped right in. No need for additional cables, booster trays, or anything else. I don't remember the CCA and my documentation is all packed away for our move. I know it wasn't the standard batttery but rather a premium heavy duty battery.