RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Whirring noise between 1st and 2nd gears.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-06, 03:56 PM
Purdy99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whirring noise between 1st and 2nd gears.

I have a 99RX that is making a whirring noise when driving. It sounds much like the whirring sound I used to hear in old cars, when you go in reverse.

The noise only occurs when I start the car moving from a standstill and disappears once the first gear change occurs. The whirring goes from a lower pitch to a higher pitch as the RPM's increase from 1st to 2nd.

Is this indicative of a bigger problem? Has anyone else experienced this? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-02-06, 06:12 AM
Jubane
Driver School Candidate

I have had that noise since I purchased the vehicle used 2 1/2 years ago, its a 2000 RX AWD. Have put 60,000 since done two transmission, differential and tranfer case oil changes and it did not dimminish nor gotten rid of the noise. I'm not sure if its coming from the tranny or somewhere else but have not had any problems.
Old 04-02-06, 10:22 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've also noticed this noise on our '00 RX. I first noticed it about 85K miles. To me, it reminds me of alternator noise you used to hear in the radio of old cars. For grins, I made sure the radio was off but the noise persists. Other than that, I haven't pursued it.
Old 04-03-06, 09:34 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default whining noise from car

i have done a lot of research on this since my '99 does this also when cold.

Came to the conclusion that since car has been meticulously maintained, it obviously is not a part that is prepared to fail, but rather a design flaw.,

Some say it is poorly insulated trani lines causing the noise and nothing to worry about.

If your car is maintained properly, I wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers,

Fern

Last edited by Fern; 06-04-06 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-03-06, 08:23 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How does the tranny fluid look?
Old 04-04-06, 01:13 AM
Purdy99
Driver School Candidate

Clear pink, as seen evenly stretched across the dip-stick.

When the tranny fluid drizzles down to the bottom of the stick and gathers there, its kind of dark pink-red.

Does that sound right?
Old 04-04-06, 03:56 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

I paid a little more attention to the whirring noise today. On our RX, the noise only occur whle the car is cold. During that time, you can hear it as shifts through all the gears. Once the tranny's in drive I can't hear the noise.
Old 04-04-06, 04:05 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also noticed problem with my 01 RX300! When I push gas harder, whirring noise from cabin and CD changer rattles often! I can't drove smooth as before! I hate it!

Old 04-04-06, 06:13 PM
harrierhos
Driver School Candidate

My 99 does the same thing with only 54k. I didn't really like it but i'm use to it now. I'm going to do a tranny flush/fill soon as it shifts hard in the cold. I'll see how that works
Old 05-18-06, 01:05 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Anyone notice their RX's whirring noise getting louder? I think our RX's noise is getting louder and it's becoming noticeable even after the car's been driven for some time and fully warmed up. I'm thinking about having a dealer look at it.
Old 05-18-06, 01:16 PM
Purdy99
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Yes, it seems like mine is getting louder too. In my original post, I said that the whirring occurs when I first start out, not to imply when the car is cold, but when the car moves from a standing stop. Ever since I can recall noticing the noise, it has occured regardless of whether my RX was warm or cold.

I actually asked the service manager at my dealer about it when I last took my car in for service. He assures me that they all sound like that, and its just "regular" transmission noise. Still, the fact that I never heard it for the first five years of ownership, and the fact that its becoming more and more noticable, is quite disconcerting.

If you learn anything from your dealer, please share. I'd be greatly interested in hearing another "professional" opinion.

Originally Posted by DaveJ
Anyone notice their RX's whirring noise getting louder? I think our RX's noise is getting louder and it's becoming noticeable even after the car's been driven for some time and fully warmed up. I'm thinking about having a dealer look at it.
Old 05-18-06, 01:56 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I don't know how I missed this thread originally.

I know exactly the sound you are referring to (and the analogous sounds are correct) but I have actually noticed it since I have owned my RX at about 40K (when I bough it used). It is a little more pronounced with all of my modifications.
Old 05-20-06, 01:59 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Did anyone dropped the transmission pan and replace the filter?
When ATF is cold, the viscosity is higher which means thicker fluid has to be circulated though filter stuffed with metal debris. Unlike oil filter, when transmission filter is clogged, there is no bypass valve.
Lexmex, when you drop the tranny pan, did you replace the filter? I remember you said your ATF was silvery, perhaps your filter is clogged at 40K.
I am ordering a transmission pan gasket and a replacement filter online since I got this noise two month ago. Should get to it after my Memorial day vacation.
It is about time for some Kona coffee, Hawaii sun, and ocean
Old 05-21-06, 12:27 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Did anyone dropped the transmission pan and replace the filter?
When ATF is cold, the viscosity is higher which means thicker fluid has to be circulated though filter stuffed with metal debris. Unlike oil filter, when transmission filter is clogged, there is no bypass valve.
Lexmex, when you drop the tranny pan, did you replace the filter? I remember you said your ATF was silvery, perhaps your filter is clogged at 40K.
I am ordering a transmission pan gasket and a replacement filter online since I got this noise two month ago. Should get to it after my Memorial day vacation.
It is about time for some Kona coffee, Hawaii sun, and ocean
No, didn't replace the filter. I also remember this whine way back when my buddy got his 99 (in 98) when I was in law school. However, let us know if you notice any difference.

I guess in about 6 months or so, I will do the differentials, transfer case and the ATF again (so we can see what happens after 6 months) and at that time, will remove pan and we can also take a look at the filter this time. The little RX has been getting a little faster for the weather at the track, so I don't seem to mind.

The ATF was a little silvery a few years ago just before I did a flush at the Lexus dealer in Naples, Florida.

Actually, I don't seem to mind the whine much anymore. Sometimes, sounds like a little supercharger in there (but we are going turbo
Old 05-21-06, 10:32 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure, I will probably post with DIY with pictures. I don't think this is a normal because no one has this problem when the car is new. Hopefully a cleaning or changing of filter will solve our problem.

Quick Reply: Whirring noise between 1st and 2nd gears.