RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

I fixed my misfire (check engine light p0300, p0301, p0302)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-08, 06:29 PM
AMN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after 35 miles of driving all blinking icons fixed. yellow led turned off and green is up. car is OK, life is good, I am happy!.
now it seems so easy: 5 minutes of work to replace a coil.
thanks!
Old 03-06-08, 06:32 PM
TampRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what brand coils did you use? $$$?
Old 03-06-08, 06:39 PM
AMN
Driver School Candidate

I bought it at Toyota dealership. unfortunately I did not take close look on it, just checked P.N. old one was DENSO (Japan), I hope at a dealership they do not sell junk.
Old 03-06-08, 06:43 PM
AMN
Driver School Candidate

forgot to mention: $110.
I called to several auto parts stores around and they asked from $90, but nobody had it in stock. at Toyota they had only one. I decided to fix the car now and not to wait one-two days to save $10-20.
Old 06-11-08, 02:28 PM
toa
Driver School Candidate

Just had the ignition coil on 4th cylinder replaced by a Lexus dealer and a week later the CEL flashes again. Bought a code reader and got these error codes P0300, p0302 and P0303. Is this normal for these coils to fail at that rate? The vehicle has only 75K miles. Should I replace all spark plugs and remaining coils?
Old 06-11-08, 03:18 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by toa
Just had the ignition coil on 4th cylinder replaced by a Lexus dealer and a week later the CEL flashes again. Bought a code reader and got these error codes P0300, p0302 and P0303. Is this normal for these coils to fail at that rate? The vehicle has only 75K miles. Should I replace all spark plugs and remaining coils?
Welcome to the Club.

They aren't a common item to fail, but they have failed for people with our RX300s, even in my case. I would have the spark plugs checked (especially the gap) and for any desposits. A batch of bad gas can cause this issue (was a relatively more common issue for people when I was living in Mexico). I take it your vehicle is sputtering and/or having lagging acceleration?
Old 06-11-08, 05:01 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Also a lot of engine cleaning (with water) could cause these failures) If water gets past the coil pack and corrodes things they will go bad....

i know on some vehicles the coil pack seals suck (Ford F150) and moisture kills them...Using dielectric grease on the seals helps keep moisture from entering. But better yet, dont wash the engine or be extra careful....

Last edited by thomas1; 06-11-08 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-12-08, 10:38 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah,you really don`t want to wash the engine on today`s vehicles,not a good idea.
Old 06-12-08, 02:05 PM
toa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Welcome to the Club.

They aren't a common item to fail, but they have failed for people with our RX300s, even in my case. I would have the spark plugs checked (especially the gap) and for any desposits. A batch of bad gas can cause this issue (was a relatively more common issue for people when I was living in Mexico). I take it your vehicle is sputtering and/or having lagging acceleration?
The vehicle is sputtering and will not go into O/D. I was told by the dealer that driving under that condition can burn out the catalytic converter and damage the valves so I had it towed home.

Just picked up two coils from Toyota for $90.00 each ($110.00 ea. at Lexus). I'll install them tonight to see if that fixes the problem.

Also I never cleaned the engine so something else caused these coils to go bad.

Last edited by toa; 06-19-08 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-12-08, 04:03 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

They're right about this issue. I had that one busted coil and had to drive for a significant bit since I was basically in a no man's land (bad area) at the time in Mexico City until my uncle could come help me get it back to the shop. The coils can go and it is tough to pin down the cause. Good thing for me is that I keep two extra coils in my RX, but being in U.S. territory now I won't have to worry if 3 go bust while I am driving.
Old 11-11-08, 09:50 AM
toa
Driver School Candidate

I installed the coils and that fixed the problem. I plan on replacing the rest of them once I get the parts ($74.00 ea. online).

With regards to timing belt and drive belts, do you replace them based on time or mileage? Can the drive belts be good for 90K? They look good visually. Our 2000 RX300 has 79K under normal operating conditions.
Old 11-11-08, 01:03 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by toa
I installed the coils and that fixed the problem. I plan on replacing the rest of them once I get the parts ($74.00 ea. online).

With regards to timing belt and drive belts, do you replace them based on time or mileage? Can the drive belts be good for 90K? They look good visually. Our 2000 RX300 has 79K under normal operating conditions.
Go based on mileage. A few people have actually gone beyond 90K on the drive belts here, though I changed mine out just a bit before that. 90K is the point where you are supposed to change them normally along with the timing belt.
Old 06-14-13, 10:28 AM
shoortdogg
Driver School Candidate

I own a Lexus rx300, and my car has been a reliable auto mobile...... about a month ago, the check engine light came on, we had a friend use his car md on it, and the codes P0104 came about, brought it to shop, and they changed all plugs, new air filter, and a oil change, it ran like a champ, tile bout 5 days later, I drove it like 20 miles (the most I driven it since the light 1st came on nd after getting tuned up) and the car kind of slowed down, like a hiccup, and the darn check engine light came on, then later started blinking...... I was all stressed out, bummed out, cause we just spent $500 on the tune up..... well, a few dAys after the light came on, we were going to bring it back to the shop n see if it needed to be RESET, but..... jumped in car, turned it on, and "NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT" Was on n e more, and it was running fine..... brought it to shop n e ways, they had looked at it, reset it, and another code popped up, P1315 nd the mechanic wasn't sure what it was , he wrote down "ignitor curcuit #4" for us.... well, we left the auto shop, car was running perfect, then this am.... the darn light is back on and car is idling funky now!! Grrr.... hate cars, thinking of getting a moped, or a Bicycle, lol..... I have four dogs, so, I'd need a front n back basket, along with a front and back BackPack, so they can go with me, Haaant!! Lmao..... still got a positive mind with all this stressful stuff with our cars, oh, and our expeditions check engine light came on also and is running funky, and water is on motor somewherez!! Ugh.... sucks!! But, I'm hoping if we get the coil fixed. It''ll be just fine, I HOPE,! Just gotta have faith, nd ill cross my fingers, toes n my eyes....
Old 06-14-13, 10:34 AM
shoortdogg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shoortdogg
I own a Lexus rx300, and my car has been a reliable auto mobile...... about a month ago, the check engine light came on, we had a friend use his car md on it, and the codes P0104 came about, brought it to shop, and they changed all plugs, new air filter, and a oil change, it ran like a champ, tile bout 5 days later, I drove it like 20 miles (the most I driven it since the light 1st came on nd after getting tuned up) and the car kind of slowed down, like a hiccup, and the darn check engine light came on, then later started blinking...... I was all stressed out, bummed out, cause we just spent $500 on the tune up..... well, a few dAys after the light came on, we were going to bring it back to the shop n see if it needed to be RESET, but..... jumped in car, turned it on, and "NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT" Was on n e more, and it was running fine..... brought it to shop n e ways, they had looked at it, reset it, and another code popped up, P1315 nd the mechanic wasn't sure what it was , he wrote down "ignitor curcuit #4" for us.... well, we left the auto shop, car was running perfect, then this am.... the darn light is back on and car is idling funky now!! Grrr.... hate cars, thinking of getting a moped, or a Bicycle, lol..... I have four dogs, so, I'd need a front n back basket, along with a front and back BackPack, so they can go with me, Haaant!! Lmao..... still got a positive mind with all this stressful stuff with our cars, oh, and our expeditions check engine light came on also and is running funky, and water is on motor somewherez!! Ugh.... sucks!! But, I'm hoping if we get the coil fixed. It''ll be just fine, I HOPE,! Just gotta have faith, nd ill cross my fingers, toes n my eyes....
I forgot to ask my question, I am now wondering if I even needed the spark plugs changed, and all that (tune-up), like maybe that's why the P0104 came on in the first place.... even though it was due for a routine tune up, could have saved nd did the coil first, ugh.... you think the coil was the whole issue to begin with?? All stressed out nd No Where to go.....
Old 10-15-13, 09:36 AM
DeadRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

reading this is making me cry. someone please stick around as my mechanic should be giving me a read out soon.

Quick Reply: I fixed my misfire (check engine light p0300, p0301, p0302)