RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Dealer Screwed Me!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-01, 10:49 AM
redjeeper
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry

As you all probably know, I purchased my RX300 on 8-9-01. It was a certified Burnished Gold '99 AWD. The truck was purchased at Herrin-Gear Lexus in Jackson, MS.The dealer called me on 8-13-01 and stated that the vehicle should not have been sold to me because it failed the certification process because the engine was full of "sludge". Before they even called me, they found another truck just like it at an auction. They told me that they would replace my vehicle at no charge to me. I was happy at this point. I got to the dealership on 8-20-01 to pick up the new vehicle and I should have known something was wrong. The Pre-owned Manager tried to hurry me through the paperwork for the exchange instead of letting me see the new truck. After looking at the new truck, I told him that it was scratched pretty babdy and he offered to have it repainted. When I got home, I wrote the following list of things that were wrong with the new truck:

1. Front and rear bumpers, hood, roof and lower door
panels were scratched.
2. Ants were coming out of the dashboard.
3. Car wasn't washed inside or outside.
4. New floor mats that were ordered on 8-9-01 still were not in the car.
5. Roof rack was rusty.
6. Rubber trim on all the outside windows was pitted.
7. Trip computer was waaaay off.
8. Trunk mat has a big bleach stain on it.
9. Car had a poor tint job that was all scratched up.
10. Chech engine light came on the way back to the dealership on 8-21-01.
11. The steering made a "knocking" noise on potholes.

To make a long story short, I took my trade-in back and told them to ^&&^%^$ themselves. Sorry for the long post, I had to vent.

Old 08-23-01, 01:28 PM
malhokc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. It does not meet up with the Lexus expectation
Old 08-25-01, 08:52 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Some luxus dealers are real *****heads on my last I had a big problem with my salesman, which was in Greenwich. And now on my new one I went to A town in CT called Westport and they were great to me there evrything tha ee wouldn't do for me they did. NEVER get a lexus in Greenwich....
Old 08-26-01, 04:09 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,100 Likes on 990 Posts

Chalk it up as bad experience. At least they took the vehicle back.

Salim
Old 08-26-01, 06:34 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Get real...

Lexus didn't screw this guy, the dealer did. Each dealership is independently owned and operated. There are good dealers and there are bad dealers.

But if you examine the overall statistics, the best overall line of dealerships in terms of customer service and satisfaction is Lexus. They've won the the JD Power award for this 10 out of the last 11 years... unheard of for even Mercedes or any other luxury brand.

Sorry to here about your bad experience, but I'll take Lexus over any other brand any day. Heck, did you ever go into a MB dealership? They give out Enterprise rent-a-junks for loaners at many of them.

Last edited by RX300TC; 08-27-01 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-27-01, 07:36 PM
TexRB
Driver School Candidate

I agre with RX300TC - the dealer tried to put on over here. One thing to consider - with the condition you describe this car - did you consider that it may be one of the cars from the Houston, TX flood?? I would run the VIN thru one of the web sites that check for such things - but first would write a letter to Lexus CUst service if the dealer can't make it right.
Good Luck!
Old 08-28-01, 06:49 AM
Gerald Novarro
Driver School Candidate

Personally I would not go back to that dealer, if that is the way he operates. There could be other vehicles on his lot with problems that are not so easy to find or would not show up for some period of time.
Cosmetics are easy to check but find someone that has the appropriate expertise and get the vehicle to him to perform a detailed examination of the vehicle mechanically and structurally before you comitt money.
A warantee doesn't help if you have an clumsy or uncooperative service department that gives you "the run around" and tries to frustrate you to the point where you give up.

Good luck perseverance is worth the reward.
Old 08-28-01, 12:58 PM
rkraus
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by TexRB
but first would write a letter to Lexus CUst service if the dealer can't make it right.
Good Luck!
Unfortunately from my experience, Lexus Customer Assistance won't be any help. After I had a very bad experience with the local dealer, I contacted Customer Assistance, sent them copies of everything, talked (and played phone tag) with their representative and a supervisor for over a month, and was told -- "The dealers are independent businesses and we don't have any way to make them take corrective steps."

Obviously, customers only contact Lexus' national office if the dealer won't resolve a problem. This response seems to show exactly how Lexus balances dealers and customers.

It's too bad. Lexus makes great cars -- this is my third one (and we've also bought three Toyotas) -- but there is only one local dealership in my area. Unless there is a change in management, this will sadly be my last Lexus.