Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Dueler H/T D687 for your RX? Think again.

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-06, 08:35 PM   #1
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
HarrierAWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,754
Default Dueler H/T D687 for your RX? Think again.

If you need replacement tires for your RX, don't buy the OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/T D687.

I got them 3 months and 6,000 miles ago. They have worn from 10/32" to 8/32". At this rate, I can only put 18,000 miles on this set before tossing them. (I get rid of my tires at 4/32".) My previous Goodyear lasted 54,000 miles. My tires on other cars lasted anywhere from 60K to over 100K miles. All four tires wore evenly. The alignment is perfect.

On the other hand, the Dueler performs very well in just about all other areas: it brakes very well on dry, wet, or snowy surface. Extremely quiet and smooth. I could live with it if this tire can last 40K miles, but 18K is way too soon. It does have 60K pro-rated warranty, but still.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
__________________
HarrierAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 09:06 PM   #2
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
Lexmex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 16,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
If you need replacement tires for your RX, don't buy the OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/T D687.

I got them 3 months and 6,000 miles ago. They have worn from 10/32" to 8/32". At this rate, I can only put 18,000 miles on this set before tossing them. (I get rid of my tires at 4/32".) My previous Goodyear lasted 54,000 miles. My tires on other cars lasted anywhere from 60K to over 100K miles. All four tires wore evenly. The alignment is perfect.

On the other hand, the Dueler performs very well in just about all other areas: it brakes very well on dry, wet, or snowy surface. Extremely quiet and smooth. I could live with it if this tire can last 40K miles, but 18K is way too soon. It does have 60K pro-rated warranty, but still.
That is even worse than tire life down here in Mexico, which comes out to about 25K miles with my CrossTerrains even with 5 ply. These streets will eat any tire. Even one friend with a Hummer H2 had his tires wear out after 8 months (though he bought it new in Texas). I have always seen the Dueler as a second choice behind teh CrossTerrains, but both kick the Integrity.
__________________
Homepage of my 1999 RX300 AWD
Lexmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 06:21 AM   #3
jfelbab
Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
jfelbab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 2,924
facebook.com/jfelbab
Default

Tire tread doesn't wear in a linear fashion. They wear faster the deeper the thread like when they are new. There is more uncontrolled tread squirm in the early wear. After the first couple of 32nds wear off, there is less squirm and somewhat improved wear. If you wanted longer tread life why didn't you purchase the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza?

The OEM Goodyear has a treadwear rating of 260-460*.
The OEM Michelin has rating of 300-500*.
The Bridgestone Dueler H/T D687 has a rating of 300.
The Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza has a treadwear rating of 600.
(* varies depending on tire size.)

If you wanted a longer wearing tire then you should have chosen the Alenza which should last twice as long as the tire you chose.

This info is readily available on the TireRack.com website.
__________________
Jim
–––
The best way to predict the future is to create it.
Peter Drucker
jfelbab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 11:52 AM   #4
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
If you need replacement tires for your RX, don't buy the OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/T D687.

I got them 3 months and 6,000 miles ago. They have worn from 10/32" to 8/32". At this rate, I can only put 18,000 miles on this set before tossing them. (I get rid of my tires at 4/32".) My previous Goodyear lasted 54,000 miles. My tires on other cars lasted anywhere from 60K to over 100K miles. All four tires wore evenly. The alignment is perfect.

On the other hand, the Dueler performs very well in just about all other areas: it brakes very well on dry, wet, or snowy surface. Extremely quiet and smooth. I could live with it if this tire can last 40K miles, but 18K is way too soon. It does have 60K pro-rated warranty, but still.
Cross Terrains have tread wear rating of 700 and the 687's have a tread wear rating of 300. I get over 60k on a set of CTs and using your numbers 687s should last 24k, assuming discarding at 2/32". If I do the math, the tread wear rating looks like it is quite accurate. Here is what you had to say last time I mentioned tread wear rating:
"Frankly, the wear, traction, and temperature index on the sidewall are as good as used toilet paper"
Do you still feel the same?
in case you need a refresher here is a link the the 687 vs. Cross Terrain discussion:
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...cross+terrains
You may want to consider a set of Cross Terrains or other higher rated tires. BTW, I finally picked up my second set of CTs.

Last edited by mikey00; 02-27-06 at 04:13 PM..
mikey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 03:58 PM   #5
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
Lexmex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 16,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey00
Cross Terrains have tread wear rating of 700 and the 687's have a tread wear rating of 300. I get over 60k on a set of CTs and using your numbers 687s should last 24k, assuming discarding at 2/32". If I do the math, the tread wear rating looks like it is quite accurate. Here is what you had to say last time I mentioned tread wear rating:
"Frankly, the wear, traction, and temperature index on the sidewall are as good as used toilet paper"
Do you still feel the same?
in case you need a refresher here is a link the the 687 vs. Cross Terrain discussion:
"http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62949&page=2&pp=15&highlight=cross+terrains"
You may want to consider a set of Cross Terrains or other higher rated tires. BTW, I finally picked up my second set of CTs.
The 235-70-16s like mine have a tread wear of 420 if I am not mistaken, but the ply in Mexico has two more layers, I think a nylon is one of them.
__________________
Homepage of my 1999 RX300 AWD
Lexmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 04:19 PM   #6
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexmex
The 235-70-16s like mine have a tread wear of 420 if I am not mistaken, but the ply in Mexico has two more layers, I think a nylon is one of them.
In the US, 225 Cross Terrains have a tread wear rating of 700, while the 235s only have a tread wear rating of 420. That means a 225 CT should last 1.7 times as long as a 235 CT. I always thought the Mexican 235s had a better rating than the US, but maybe not.
mikey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 04:35 PM   #7
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
Lexmex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 16,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey00
In the US, 225 Cross Terrains have a tread wear rating of 700, while the 235s only have a tread wear rating of 420. That means a 225 CT should last 1.7 times as long as a 235 CT. I always thought the Mexican 235s had a better rating than the US, but maybe not.
They are still 420. However, my understanding is the two inward layers are there to prevent certain types of road damage.
__________________
Homepage of my 1999 RX300 AWD
Lexmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 08:12 PM   #8
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
Lexmex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 16,374
Default

I would also highly suggest using nitrogen in place of air on any tires. I know Costco does this in the states (and now in Mexico). We have discussed it before on CL.

I do not keep my tire pressue even on all tires and sometimes adjust for speed when I am not participating in bracket racing.

BTW, I altered my signature below. The mods will just grow and I felt it was time to just simplify things.
__________________
Homepage of my 1999 RX300 AWD
Lexmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 05:59 AM   #9
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexmex
I would also highly suggest using nitrogen in place of air on any tires. I know Costco does this in the states (and now in Mexico). We have discussed it before on CL.

I do not keep my tire pressue even on all tires and sometimes adjust for speed when I am not participating in bracket racing.

BTW, I altered my signature below. The mods will just grow and I felt it was time to just simplify things.

The nitrogen is a nice benefit of using Costco. I first purchased tires there for price and didn't really expect much in the way of service. But after a couple sets of tires I find them excellent with ongoing tire service.
Just curious, how's the wear on your 235s?

Last edited by mikey00; 03-01-06 at 06:03 AM..
mikey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 09:01 AM   #10
obaid
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3
Default

michelins are the best people
obaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 10:05 AM   #11
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
Lexmex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 16,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obaid
michelins are the best people
I thought Michelins were the most durable tires and then I saw this. Some guy named Fred owns it. Look at those tires...WOW!
Attached Images
 
__________________
Homepage of my 1999 RX300 AWD
Lexmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 02:11 PM   #12
Lil4X
Out of Warranty
Trader Score: (0)
 
Lil4X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Houston, Republic of Texas
Posts: 12,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexmex
I thought Michelins were the most durable tires and then I saw this. Some guy named Fred owns it. Look at those tires...WOW!
Low profile, HUGE contact patch . . . probably wear like granite too . . . .
__________________
“Draw your chair up close to the edge of the precipice and I’ll tell you a story."
_____________________- F. Scott Fitzgerald
TLN #42 -The Meaning of Life

Lil4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 08:24 PM   #13
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
HarrierAWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey00
Cross Terrains have tread wear rating of 700 and the 687's have a tread wear rating of 300. I get over 60k on a set of CTs and using your numbers 687s should last 24k, assuming discarding at 2/32". If I do the math, the tread wear rating looks like it is quite accurate. Here is what you had to say last time I mentioned tread wear rating:
"Frankly, the wear, traction, and temperature index on the sidewall are as good as used toilet paper"
Do you still feel the same?
in case you need a refresher here is a link the the 687 vs. Cross Terrain discussion:
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...cross+terrains
You may want to consider a set of Cross Terrains or other higher rated tires. BTW, I finally picked up my second set of CTs.
Read the November 2005 Consumer Reports on what they found about tire wear index.

I would not put so-so handling CT on an SUV, even though it may last long. Again based on C/R rating. I put higher priority on safety. The D687 handles very well. I can't even feel the strong gust here in Colorado. With Goodyear Integrity, I used to be all over the road.

I hope C/R will test SUV tires for its Nov 2006 issue.
__________________

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 03-01-06 at 08:28 PM..
HarrierAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 08:36 PM   #14
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
HarrierAWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfelbab
Tire tread doesn't wear in a linear fashion. They wear faster the deeper the thread like when they are new. There is more uncontrolled tread squirm in the early wear. After the first couple of 32nds wear off, there is less squirm and somewhat improved wear. If you wanted longer tread life why didn't you purchase the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza?
I hope you are right about tire wear faster in its early age. 18K is way too soon, even though it has a 60K pro-rated warranty. My old Goodyear Integrity seemed to wear evenly throughout its 54K life.

The H/L Alenza's smooth tread can't work in Colorado winter. And I live in a rather rural area where roads don't get plowed.
__________________
HarrierAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-06, 08:58 AM   #15
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Read the November 2005 Consumer Reports on what they found about tire wear index.

I would not put so-so handling CT on an SUV, even though it may last long. Again based on C/R rating. I put higher priority on safety. The D687 handles very well. I can't even feel the strong gust here in Colorado. With Goodyear Integrity, I used to be all over the road.

I hope C/R will test SUV tires for its Nov 2006 issue.
Safety is my main priority, not just a higher one. Your comment on so-so handling for the Cross Terrain contradicts everything I have ever read about the Cross Terrains plus my own personal experience. You may want to do a search on this and other automotive sites to see what everyone else is saying. Also check out tire websites like tire rack where the Cross Terrain is highly rated based on over 1,000 users driving over 26 million miles. If you check out all these sources you will be hard pressed to find anyone claiming so-so handling for the Cross Terrain. Remember, Consumer Reports only tested the 235 Cross Terrain which is a special OEM version of the Cross Terrain and not the same as the 225. This information is on the Michelin website.
I also hope CR tests SUV tires in its Nov issue. Looks like the last SUV tire test was Nov 04. I hope they use the 225 Cross Terrain this time and not the lower spec 235. Sometimes people form a quick but lasting opinion based on these tests without taking the time to research what is actually being tested.
mikey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-06, 08:58 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
470, 687, alenzas, bridgestone, change, club, d687, dueler, goodyear, ht, integrity, lexus, nails, ratings, tread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:50 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2