RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Dueler H/T D687 for your RX? Think again.

Old 02-26-06, 08:35 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dueler H/T D687 for your RX? Think again.

If you need replacement tires for your RX, don't buy the OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/T D687.

I got them 3 months and 6,000 miles ago. They have worn from 10/32" to 8/32". At this rate, I can only put 18,000 miles on this set before tossing them. (I get rid of my tires at 4/32".) My previous Goodyear lasted 54,000 miles. My tires on other cars lasted anywhere from 60K to over 100K miles. All four tires wore evenly. The alignment is perfect.

On the other hand, the Dueler performs very well in just about all other areas: it brakes very well on dry, wet, or snowy surface. Extremely quiet and smooth. I could live with it if this tire can last 40K miles, but 18K is way too soon. It does have 60K pro-rated warranty, but still.
Old 02-26-06, 09:06 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
If you need replacement tires for your RX, don't buy the OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/T D687.

I got them 3 months and 6,000 miles ago. They have worn from 10/32" to 8/32". At this rate, I can only put 18,000 miles on this set before tossing them. (I get rid of my tires at 4/32".) My previous Goodyear lasted 54,000 miles. My tires on other cars lasted anywhere from 60K to over 100K miles. All four tires wore evenly. The alignment is perfect.

On the other hand, the Dueler performs very well in just about all other areas: it brakes very well on dry, wet, or snowy surface. Extremely quiet and smooth. I could live with it if this tire can last 40K miles, but 18K is way too soon. It does have 60K pro-rated warranty, but still.
That is even worse than tire life down here in Mexico, which comes out to about 25K miles with my CrossTerrains even with 5 ply. These streets will eat any tire. Even one friend with a Hummer H2 had his tires wear out after 8 months (though he bought it new in Texas). I have always seen the Dueler as a second choice behind teh CrossTerrains, but both kick the Integrity.
Old 02-27-06, 06:21 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Tire tread doesn't wear in a linear fashion. They wear faster the deeper the thread like when they are new. There is more uncontrolled tread squirm in the early wear. After the first couple of 32nds wear off, there is less squirm and somewhat improved wear. If you wanted longer tread life why didn't you purchase the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza?

The OEM Goodyear has a treadwear rating of 260-460*.
The OEM Michelin has rating of 300-500*.
The Bridgestone Dueler H/T D687 has a rating of 300.
The Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza has a treadwear rating of 600.
(* varies depending on tire size.)

If you wanted a longer wearing tire then you should have chosen the Alenza which should last twice as long as the tire you chose.

This info is readily available on the TireRack.com website.
Old 02-27-06, 11:52 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cross Terrains have tread wear rating of 700 and the 687's have a tread wear rating of 300. I get over 60k on a set of CTs and using your numbers 687s should last 24k, assuming discarding at 2/32". If I do the math, the tread wear rating looks like it is quite accurate. Here is what you had to say last time I mentioned tread wear rating:
"Frankly, the wear, traction, and temperature index on the sidewall are as good as used toilet paper"
Do you still feel the same?
in case you need a refresher here is a link the the 687 vs. Cross Terrain discussion:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...cross+terrains
You may want to consider a set of Cross Terrains or other higher rated tires. BTW, I finally picked up my second set of CTs.

Last edited by mikey00; 02-27-06 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-27-06, 03:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mikey00
Cross Terrains have tread wear rating of 700 and the 687's have a tread wear rating of 300. I get over 60k on a set of CTs and using your numbers 687s should last 24k, assuming discarding at 2/32". If I do the math, the tread wear rating looks like it is quite accurate. Here is what you had to say last time I mentioned tread wear rating:
"Frankly, the wear, traction, and temperature index on the sidewall are as good as used toilet paper"
in case you need a refresher here is a link the the 687 vs. Cross Terrain discussion:
"https://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62949&page=2&pp=15&highlight=cross+terrains"
You may want to consider a set of Cross Terrains or other higher rated tires. BTW, I finally picked up my second set of CTs.
The 235-70-16s like mine have a tread wear of 420 if I am not mistaken, but the ply in Mexico has two more layers, I think a nylon is one of them.
Old 02-27-06, 04:19 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmex
The 235-70-16s like mine have a tread wear of 420 if I am not mistaken, but the ply in Mexico has two more layers, I think a nylon is one of them.
In the US, 225 Cross Terrains have a tread wear rating of 700, while the 235s only have a tread wear rating of 420. That means a 225 CT should last 1.7 times as long as a 235 CT. I always thought the Mexican 235s had a better rating than the US, but maybe not.
Old 02-27-06, 04:35 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

In the US, 225 Cross Terrains have a tread wear rating of 700, while the 235s only have a tread wear rating of 420. That means a 225 CT should last 1.7 times as long as a 235 CT. I always thought the Mexican 235s had a better rating than the US, but maybe not.
They are still 420. However, my understanding is the two inward layers are there to prevent certain types of road damage.
Old 02-27-06, 08:12 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I would also highly suggest using nitrogen in place of air on any tires. I know Costco does this in the states (and now in Mexico). We have discussed it before on CL.

I do not keep my tire pressue even on all tires and sometimes adjust for speed when I am not participating in bracket racing.

BTW, I altered my signature below. The mods will just grow and I felt it was time to just simplify things.
Old 03-01-06, 05:59 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

I would also highly suggest using nitrogen in place of air on any tires. I know Costco does this in the states (and now in Mexico). We have discussed it before on CL.

I do not keep my tire pressue even on all tires and sometimes adjust for speed when I am not participating in bracket racing.

BTW, I altered my signature below. The mods will just grow and I felt it was time to just simplify things.

The nitrogen is a nice benefit of using Costco. I first purchased tires there for price and didn't really expect much in the way of service. But after a couple sets of tires I find them excellent with ongoing tire service.
Just curious, how's the wear on your 235s?

Last edited by mikey00; 03-01-06 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-01-06, 09:01 AM
obaid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

michelins are the best people
Old 03-01-06, 10:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by obaid
michelins are the best people
I thought Michelins were the most durable tires and then I saw this. Some guy named Fred owns it. Look at those tires...WOW!
Attached Thumbnails Dueler H/T D687 for your RX?  Think again.-flintstonecar.jpg  
Old 03-01-06, 02:11 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought Michelins were the most durable tires and then I saw this. Some guy named Fred owns it. Look at those tires...WOW!
Low profile, HUGE contact patch . . . probably wear like granite too . . . .
Old 03-01-06, 08:24 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...cross+terrains
Read the November 2005 Consumer Reports on what they found about tire wear index.

I would not put so-so handling CT on an SUV, even though it may last long. Again based on C/R rating. I put higher priority on safety. The D687 handles very well. I can't even feel the strong gust here in Colorado. With Goodyear Integrity, I used to be all over the road.

I hope C/R will test SUV tires for its Nov 2006 issue.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 03-01-06 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-01-06, 08:36 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Tire tread doesn't wear in a linear fashion. They wear faster the deeper the thread like when they are new. There is more uncontrolled tread squirm in the early wear. After the first couple of 32nds wear off, there is less squirm and somewhat improved wear. If you wanted longer tread life why didn't you purchase the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza?
I hope you are right about tire wear faster in its early age. 18K is way too soon, even though it has a 60K pro-rated warranty. My old Goodyear Integrity seemed to wear evenly throughout its 54K life.

The H/L Alenza's smooth tread can't work in Colorado winter. And I live in a rather rural area where roads don't get plowed.
Old 03-02-06, 08:58 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Read the November 2005 Consumer Reports on what they found about tire wear index.

I would not put so-so handling CT on an SUV, even though it may last long. Again based on C/R rating. I put higher priority on safety. The D687 handles very well. I can't even feel the strong gust here in Colorado. With Goodyear Integrity, I used to be all over the road.

I hope C/R will test SUV tires for its Nov 2006 issue.
Safety is my main priority, not just a higher one. Your comment on so-so handling for the Cross Terrain contradicts everything I have ever read about the Cross Terrains plus my own personal experience. You may want to do a search on this and other automotive sites to see what everyone else is saying. Also check out tire websites like tire rack where the Cross Terrain is highly rated based on over 1,000 users driving over 26 million miles. If you check out all these sources you will be hard pressed to find anyone claiming so-so handling for the Cross Terrain. Remember, Consumer Reports only tested the 235 Cross Terrain which is a special OEM version of the Cross Terrain and not the same as the 225. This information is on the Michelin website.
I also hope CR tests SUV tires in its Nov issue. Looks like the last SUV tire test was Nov 04. I hope they use the 225 Cross Terrain this time and not the lower spec 235. Sometimes people form a quick but lasting opinion based on these tests without taking the time to research what is actually being tested.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dueler H/T D687 for your RX? Think again.