RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX 300 tire, struts questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-06, 07:47 PM
jfdaubach
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 300 tire, struts questions

1. Does anyone have experience changing from 225/70/16 tires on std Lexus rims to 235/70 series? Any problems with clearance at the strut assy front or rear? Is there a noticeable improvement in cornering stability or any other aspect of handling?

2. Does anyone have experience running Bridgestone Dueler HL or Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires on the RX300? Comments appreciated on ride quality/characteristics, noise, handling, wet/snow traction, wear.

3. Lastly, looking for feedback on replacement strut cartridges by Bilstein, Koni or any other manufacturer for the RX300. Want to restore "new car" ride but with improved handling/cornering over stock Lexus OEM cartridges. Don't want a ride too hard or firm. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Above ques in regard to 2001RX300.
Old 02-14-06, 08:55 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jfdaubach
1. Does anyone have experience changing from 225/70/16 tires on std Lexus rims to 235/70 series? Any problems with clearance at the strut assy front or rear? Is there a noticeable improvement in cornering stability or any other aspect of handling?

2. Does anyone have experience running Bridgestone Dueler HL or Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires on the RX300? Comments appreciated on ride quality/characteristics, noise, handling, wet/snow traction, wear.

3. Lastly, looking for feedback on replacement strut cartridges by Bilstein, Koni or any other manufacturer for the RX300. Want to restore "new car" ride but with improved handling/cornering over stock Lexus OEM cartridges. Don't want a ride too hard or firm. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Above ques in regard to 2001RX300.
Lexmex has 235/70/16 all around and he's had good success with them, I'm not sure about cornering stability but it should be a slight increase with no problems clearing struts/springs or upsetting any stock configurations.

I ran Bridgestone Dueler HL right after changing the OEM Integritys and they weren't that great, out of the shop they ran fine but traction problems in the rain and cornering was mediocre. I also think they don't last that long but for the price I suppose they're decent. I changed to Michelin X-Radial LT's, these ride better and take corners with ease however I feel like they're a bit louder on the freeway (probably due to being a light duty SUV/Truck tire). If you're looking for a performance feel try Pirelli Scorpion or Yokohama Geolander.

I don't know much about the shock/strut area for the RX, but I heard KYB thrown around a lil bit.

-tc
Old 02-15-06, 03:30 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

Welcome to CL, jfd!

No problems with the upsize (with Cross Terrains from OEM Integritys) on my RX 300. That's a popular upgrade, and one that you'll appreciate. No need for spacers and all fit perfectly. Can't comment much on ride/handling quality because the GY's were so bad that I believe the upgrade to the Michelins was responsible for most of the vast improvements we experienced. Traction, particularly in the wet and snow were drastically improved, no propensity to hydroplane, and sharper handling in both wet and dry were among the standout features. Noise was slightly higher, but as the mold flash wore off of the CT's, they quickly quieted down to near the level of the old GY's - which were pretty quiet.

One thing to remember - If yours is an AWD, you will need to purchase FIVE tires, as the spare needs to be the same diameter as the road wheels, otherwise you can seriously goof up your diffs and/or transfer case with the difference in wheel speeds. Unless you are willing to live with a "limp home" mode in case of a flat, where you don’t exceed 35 mph or so, and that only for a few miles, you need to keep the diameters the same to have a functional spare.

While you are swapping all of this rubber around, consider replacing the black spare wheel with a matching aluminum rim (assuming yours are stock) from a junkyard. This will give you five matching wheels and allow you to rotate 5 tires normally. Can't understand why Lexus didn't do this in the first place.

The same thing applies to a 2WD RX, if you are changing a front tire. If you have to run any distance at all, you might want to swap one of the (undriven) rears up to the front and put the undersized spare on the rear. This can still cause problems with your ABS, as the difference in wheel speeds may confuse the braking computer, but would probably be OK in an emergency - just to get you home.

BTW, the up rated spare still fits nicely into the underfloor compartment.
Old 02-15-06, 09:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

That is right, I do have 235-70-16 Cross Terrains. I have used these types of tires for almost 3.5 years. I previously had the Integritys and Mexico City saw the end of those. (The tire place actually resold them and they went dead later on another vehicle).

When I originally changed out the tires from Integritys to CTXs that was in July 2002. I immediately noticed driving away from the tire place that it felt more like sitting in a truck than in an SUV...a tank would be a better way to describe it. I had gotten that feeling taking a test drive in an MDX (which I did not like). However, this is only a feeling and the cornering is much, much better. No clearance issues at all and the spare 235 fits in the trunk just fine.

The next day I drove up solo to San Antonio, Texas and it was much smoother and on the 225 Integritys. Only negative was slightly louder road noise.

The treadwear is not as high compared to 225s, but the max pressure is higher at 44 psi. I run mine at 36 so that when they get hot (even with nitrogen) they run at 38 psi, which is perfect for me when I run the 1/4 mile.

As for the Duelers, there were a good number of RX owners who wrote on this forum a few years back regarding those tires.

As for any suspension, I have seen some JDM stuff but that requires ordering from Japan and it is big $$$.

With all the modifications and planning going on with my vehicle, I plan to go the stateside option, KYB GR-2 shocks, http://www.kyb.com/products/detail.php?ID=1
Old 02-15-06, 09:57 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Welcome to CL, jfd!

No problems with the upsize (with Cross Terrains from OEM Integritys) on my RX 300. That's a popular upgrade, and one that you'll appreciate. No need for spacers and all fit perfectly. Can't comment much on ride/handling quality because the GY's were so bad that I believe the upgrade to the Michelins was responsible for most of the vast improvements we experienced. Traction, particularly in the wet and snow were drastically improved, no propensity to hydroplane, and sharper handling in both wet and dry were among the standout features. Noise was slightly higher, but as the mold flash wore off of the CT's, they quickly quieted down to near the level of the old GY's - which were pretty quiet.

One thing to remember - If yours is an AWD, you will need to purchase FIVE tires, as the spare needs to be the same diameter as the road wheels, otherwise you can seriously goof up your diffs and/or transfer case with the difference in wheel speeds. Unless you are willing to live with a "limp home" mode in case of a flat, where you don’t exceed 35 mph or so, and that only for a few miles, you need to keep the diameters the same to have a functional spare.

While you are swapping all of this rubber around, consider replacing the black spare wheel with a matching aluminum rim (assuming yours are stock) from a junkyard. This will give you five matching wheels and allow you to rotate 5 tires normally. Can't understand why Lexus didn't do this in the first place.

The same thing applies to a 2WD RX, if you are changing a front tire. If you have to run any distance at all, you might want to swap one of the (undriven) rears up to the front and put the undersized spare on the rear. This can still cause problems with your ABS, as the difference in wheel speeds may confuse the braking computer, but would probably be OK in an emergency - just to get you home.

BTW, the up rated spare still fits nicely into the underfloor compartment.
No need to look for the matching aluminum rim. If you look at your spare you will see Lexus has already done that for you.
Old 02-15-06, 10:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey00
No need to look for the matching aluminum rim. If you look at your spare you will see Lexus has already done that for you.
My stock rim is black and looks like a spare, maybe you got something different with yours.
Old 02-15-06, 10:41 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I asked, Lexus advised me as I have chrome factory rims, I have a steel black painted spare wheel. A matching spare rim was included with non-chrome polished aluminum rims.
Old 02-15-06, 12:59 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
My stock rim is black and looks like a spare, maybe you got something different with yours.
That's because you have a 99 RX. The thread starter has a 01 which is the year they started the matching spare.