RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Radio Removal - Trying To Avoid Surprises

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-06, 03:59 AM
RhoXS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Removal - Trying To Avoid Surprises

I am going to install an XM radio in my 2002 RX300. I need to get to the antenna connection that I believe is probably behind the radio to connect the FM modulator.

Removing the U shaped wood trim is no problem. This reveals two (10 mm?) hex head bolts on each side of the audio/HVAC/display/etc. controls.

-Will the multifunction control panel simple pull out upon removal of these four bolts?

-Is the display a separate module or does it remove as a single unit with the control portion?

-Is there a resonable amount of slack in the vacuum hoses or do they have to be first removed by reaching up behind the assembly? I could feel what appeared to be vacuum lines but there did not appear to be any slack available. Since I am unfamiliar with what is there, I am reluctant to disconnect them by feel only.

-Does the antenna use a typical Motorola type connector or is it a "Euro" type connector like BMW uses.

-It would be convenient to know the wire color for the switched +12V switched power to the radio but this should be readily determined with a DVM.

Any other advice would be appreciated. I intend to mount the XM radio box under the passanger seat and run the cables (FM modulator, power, antenna, & control head) under the center console into the dash. This unit has a very compact control head that will mount perfectly where the seat heater switches would normally be.

Last edited by RhoXS; 02-10-06 at 05:01 AM.
Old 02-12-06, 07:23 AM
RhoXS
Rookie

Nobody replied so I installed it anyway. I thought I would post what I learned in the hope of making it easier for someone else.

-Once the U shaped wooden /transmission selector trim is removed, four 10mm bolts, two on each side of the radio/HVAC controls become visible. Removing these bolts allows the one piece assembly consisting of the radio/HVAC controls and LCD display to be removed. It pulls away just enough to reach behind it to dissconnect seven wiring harness electrical connectors and two antenna connections. The only reason to remove this assembly to to gain access to the wiring harness and connectors to test & find the needed wires and make connections to them. Three connectors go to the radio/HVAC control box, two attach to the LCD, and one each to the flasher switch and seat belt light on each side. What I originally thought were vacuum connections to the back of the radio/HVAC control unit are antenna cables. There is a standard Motorola connector and a smaller connector (maybe a Euro type). They each can be easily removed without removing the assembly by reaching behind the left side of the back of the assembly. Each has a plastic blue ring that must be squeezed (easy by feel) to unlock it. I found removing this assembly and reinstalling it was a relatively easy and straight forward job.

- Behind the radio/HVAC controls are three connectors. One of these connectors has only three wires connected to it. The white/blue is hot all the time. The Grey/red is on in ACC. I did not check because I did not use it but I assume the brown wire might be a ground. It was easy to use small Scotch-Lock connectors to tap into the appropriate two hot wires just above the point they merge into the wiring harness on the right side.

-I mounted the FM modulator with Velcro on the flat surface of the plastic plenum assembly just below the radio/HVAC control unit. This is easily assessible with only the U shaped wood trim piece removed and the control/LCD assembly back in place.

-The small control head nests almost perfectly where the heater switches would be if I had seat heaters. It took a little patience with a Dremel tool to make a hole for the associated cable. I also used two side tape to mount the control head. It took three layers of tape as the surface of the switch blank covers is slightly lower than the surrounding trim. The head now is ridgedly mounted and looks like it belongs.

I mounted the main XM black box (Pioneer GEX-FM903XM) under the passanger seat. Therefore it was necessary to route the power/modulator/control cables to this location. I pulled these cables under the carpet to below the center console and then from below the center console to below the passanger seat. Removing the center console was easy. It is held in place with four 10mm bolts and two hex head/phillps screws. The rear top portiojn of the console simple pops up and off by carefully prying up with a protected slot head screwdriver. This reveals the two rear 10mm bolts. There are also two wiring harness connections at the rear of the console. I found removing the connection to the Cig lighter was much easier by first popping the assembly out. A cover on the bottom of the front part of the console covers the other two 10mm bolts. All the way forward on each side of the bottom of the console are two screws with trim caps that can be removed either with a small socket hor phillips screwdriver. Once these six bolts are removed the console simply pull up and back into the rear seat area. There is no reason to remove the six small screws that are visible adjacent to each seat.

I thought this might help someone in the future. I took pics of most everything so someday I might post them if anyone expresses an interest.

Last edited by RhoXS; 02-12-06 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-18-06, 01:26 PM
dgio
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for this very interesting info. I will be soon removing my own stereo (and speakers as well) so if you still have the pics taken during the process, please post them.

I have found a website that has stereo removal instructions for a wide range of automobiles, but it requires paypal arrangement to buy and i sort of avoided the hassle. if anyone is interested though the address is www.carstereohelp.com
Old 10-14-06, 03:20 PM
RX300VA
Driver School Candidate

Smile Radio Removal/sub upgrade

I'm glad I found this thread, the info was very handy upgrading the subwoofer in my 2000 RX300. I ended up tying a Blaupunkt VSB powered sub into the stock Pioneer sub for power and signal. The Blaupunkt fits under the driver seat pretty well, so I now have both subs working together under both front seats. Setting the Blaupunkt VSB to 180 degrees out produces some deep bass in conjunction with the stock sub - I'm very impressed with the results! I was considering upgrading more of the system, but that won't be necessary now...
Old 10-14-06, 06:47 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Radio Removal

Thanks for the information. I presently have XM externally configured and am still considering the superior options.

You didn't mention where you placed the antenna. I'd like to see an NMO roof mount myself.
Old 10-16-06, 04:14 PM
RX300Scott
Driver School Candidate

Very helpful information. Was your radio the standard unit, or the one that works in conjunction with the navigation system?
Old 04-05-10, 04:21 PM
varithms
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RhoXS
Nobody replied so I installed it anyway. I thought I would post what I learned in the hope of making it easier for someone else.

-Once the U shaped wooden /transmission selector trim is removed, four 10mm bolts, two on each side of the radio/HVAC controls become visible. Removing these bolts allows the one piece assembly consisting of the radio/HVAC controls and LCD display to be removed. It pulls away just enough to reach behind it to dissconnect seven wiring harness electrical connectors and two antenna connections. The only reason to remove this assembly to to gain access to the wiring harness and connectors to test & find the needed wires and make connections to them. Three connectors go to the radio/HVAC control box, two attach to the LCD, and one each to the flasher switch and seat belt light on each side. What I originally thought were vacuum connections to the back of the radio/HVAC control unit are antenna cables. There is a standard Motorola connector and a smaller connector (maybe a Euro type). They each can be easily removed without removing the assembly by reaching behind the left side of the back of the assembly. Each has a plastic blue ring that must be squeezed (easy by feel) to unlock it. I found removing this assembly and reinstalling it was a relatively easy and straight forward job.

- Behind the radio/HVAC controls are three connectors. One of these connectors has only three wires connected to it. The white/blue is hot all the time. The Grey/red is on in ACC. I did not check because I did not use it but I assume the brown wire might be a ground. It was easy to use small Scotch-Lock connectors to tap into the appropriate two hot wires just above the point they merge into the wiring harness on the right side.

-I mounted the FM modulator with Velcro on the flat surface of the plastic plenum assembly just below the radio/HVAC control unit. This is easily assessible with only the U shaped wood trim piece removed and the control/LCD assembly back in place.

-The small control head nests almost perfectly where the heater switches would be if I had seat heaters. It took a little patience with a Dremel tool to make a hole for the associated cable. I also used two side tape to mount the control head. It took three layers of tape as the surface of the switch blank covers is slightly lower than the surrounding trim. The head now is ridgedly mounted and looks like it belongs.

I mounted the main XM black box (Pioneer GEX-FM903XM) under the passanger seat. Therefore it was necessary to route the power/modulator/control cables to this location. I pulled these cables under the carpet to below the center console and then from below the center console to below the passanger seat. Removing the center console was easy. It is held in place with four 10mm bolts and two hex head/phillps screws. The rear top portiojn of the console simple pops up and off by carefully prying up with a protected slot head screwdriver. This reveals the two rear 10mm bolts. There are also two wiring harness connections at the rear of the console. I found removing the connection to the Cig lighter was much easier by first popping the assembly out. A cover on the bottom of the front part of the console covers the other two 10mm bolts. All the way forward on each side of the bottom of the console are two screws with trim caps that can be removed either with a small socket hor phillips screwdriver. Once these six bolts are removed the console simply pull up and back into the rear seat area. There is no reason to remove the six small screws that are visible adjacent to each seat.

I thought this might help someone in the future. I took pics of most everything so someday I might post them if anyone expresses an interest.
This needs to be in the DIY area.