RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Tire Problems on RX-300 ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-01, 07:54 PM
RXKen
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

We've had 4 flats and 3 tire replacements and now yet another tire is slowly losing air on our RX-300 in just over 2 years. I submitted a complaint to Lexus and got a call back from them that they've never had ANY problems with the Goodyear Integrity tires. The NHTSA website doesn't list any problems, but I've got to believe that others are having similar problems or else we have a tremendous amount of bad luck.

If you've had tire problems with the Goodyear Integrity tires on your RX-300 PLEASE send me an email, I want to put a case together if this really is a problem. Goodyear told me NOT to put those tires on the RX-300, but won't put that in writing, I was told that in their opinion the tire wasn't designed for a vehicle as heavy as the RX-300 and that results in the upper part of the sidewall rubbing on the road and picking up debris and hence more prone to punctures.

Anyone had a blow out? Thank goodness ours have all gone flat in slow traffic or at a stop, I'm concerned about highway speed driving on these tires though.

Anyone have a recommended replacement?

Old 08-16-01, 08:23 PM
Beaker
Driver School Candidate

Default Tired of tires??

Hey there RXKEN......

Sitting here having a cool one with a Lexux Technician buddy of mine, and we are wondering if you are having tires that go flat due to loss of pressure for no reason, or due to punctures??

He also says to make sure that you are running the correct tire pressure, and checking it frequently, he says that at his dealership they have not had any problems with g'years tires......but he has a fondness for the Michelin LTX for the RX as they have changed a bunch for customers and they seem to be happy with them.......keeping in mind I (we) live in a part of the world where the snow comes and stays for 7 months....ha..ha..ha.....LTX seem to be a good choice for Winter...

Good luck with your skins....

Beaker
Old 08-17-01, 04:47 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Tires have been debated (and the OEM Goodyear Integritys roundly condemned) a number of times. There was more stuff over at Edmunds. But no one seemed to have a propensity for flats/blowouts. Complaints primarily had to do with poor tracking and what seemed to be alignment problems (pulling, usually to the right) that were solved with switch to different brands.

The Integrity is a lowball passenger car tire with relatively thin sidewalls. It's prime virtues as far as Lexus is concerned seem to be that it's cheap, it's quiet and it has a reasonable treadlife.

After some correspondence and research, when it came time for replacement on my wife's RX, I bought Michelin CrossTerrains, which is slightly newer tech from Michelin compared to the LTX. Instant resolution of all tire/tracking/alignment issues. Plus, it's just about as quiet as the Goodyear despite a fairly aggressive, "trucky" tread pattern. I suspect any decent truck or dedicated SUV tire would be an improvement over the Integritys.

For about $124 each from TireRack, you can solve your recurrent flat tire problems. Again, if you are considering litigation of some sort, you'll want to check the threads for yourself, but though the Integritys were indicted with a number of sins, flats/blows weren't one of them.

Good luck!

Old 08-17-01, 05:44 AM
RXKen
Driver

Please tell your tech that we've gotten flats from punctures and all but one time the tire was unrepairable because the puncture was at the upper part of the sidewall where the sidewall meets the tread. Tires were and always are inflated to proper specs, we probably check our tire pressure more than 99% of other drivers because of the history we've had with this car.

The only thing I have to go on is the guy at Goodyear who upon seeing us twice within a month last November for the same problem but different tire, said that too much of the sidewall was rubbing on the pavement even when the tires are properly inflated. ( This has also happened on both the front and the back, although 2 flats up front, 2 in back) and caused 3 tire replacements in two years.

I should have just bought a whole new set of tires the day I bought the car!

The next time a problem occurs I'll switch over to all new tires, I'm just trying to eeek out a little more life from these treads before winter sets in. Mileage at the last flat was just over 22,000 miles.

I guess we could be just incredibly unlucky! Other than the tires the RX-300 has been a good car, I've even got some videos of being on the beach with it!
Old 08-27-01, 07:56 PM
TexRB
Driver School Candidate

I took delivery of my RX on 1/2/01 and have th eGY Interity tires. I have never had any problems and live in an area with a lot of new housing (lots of nails in streets) and never had a flat. My 98 Sienna (that I traded) had several flats with the factory Dunlops.

Maybe I've been luck so far -