RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

GS Owner Feedback on a RX300

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-01, 01:10 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I dropped off my GS at the dealer and they gave me a 2001 RX300 loaner, which I thought was pretty cool.

I have always liked the look the RX300 and overall it's a great car/truck.

The ride was comfy as I expected and very nice. Interior is great and I still like it very much. Interior would have been much better with NAV and ML Audio of course too!

However, the power and acceleratioin was just OK. I am sure the rest of you RX300 owners area always wanting more power. 220HP is good, but this RX300 can be much faster and should include a SPORTS PACKAGE with thicker, agressive tires and rims.

Even my 99 4runner ltd with standard 183 HP V6 feels like it has much better pick up than the RX (maybe due to it's rear wheel drive). However the 4runner guzzles gas like crazy, where as the RX300 has car mileage stats.

This has probably been discussed to death already, but it was my first time driving the RX300 and had to comment.

The current RX300 is a huge hit and I can't wait until the next generation comes out. It's a beautiful looking vehicle either way.
Old 07-19-01, 06:25 AM
ObiDon
Driver

Thanks for the comments. I have had occasion to drive the GS300 and GS400, and if I had wanted a car, the GS430 was at the top of my list. As most RX owners I too would like to see more power, but the RX will still blow the doors off most other SUVs and many cars, and get good mpg. When the tires need to be replaced I will also go to larger wheels 18' with 255/55 tires to get a more aggressive look and better handling. Sitting up high in traffic with a great ride was my goal, and the RX fits that to a tee.
Old 07-22-01, 12:02 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ObiDon
Thanks for the comments. I have had occasion to drive the GS300 and GS400, and if I had wanted a car, the GS430 was at the top of my list. As most RX owners I too would like to see more power, but the RX will still blow the doors off most other SUVs and many cars, and get good mpg. When the tires need to be replaced I will also go to larger wheels 18' with 255/55 tires to get a more aggressive look and better handling. Sitting up high in traffic with a great ride was my goal, and the RX fits that to a tee.
I do want to get an RX300 for my wife eventually. It is the best out there in this class of vehicle. But as a guy, you want more power, you want a more sportier look. I just hope the people at Lexus are listenting to your RX guys when it comes time for the RX300 Revamp in 2003 or sooner.

Every RX300 I see around here (NJ) are driven by soccer moms, so I just hope they have a standard version for the mass market and a sports version for guys like us.

The BMW X5 has a sports package that is good you really don't need any aftermarket enhancements. Saves you time, but maybe not money. But very nice.