RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
View Poll Results: How reliable is/was your RX300
Good
79.90%
Avarage
10.82%
Bad
9.28%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

RX300 reliability

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-05, 05:44 AM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300 reliability

Reading this forum through the past few months I encountered numerous threads about transmission and engine failures. This makes me worry about my RX and wonder about Lexus in general. How would you describe your experience your RX?

Last edited by IsraelRX; 09-27-05 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-27-05, 06:44 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Remember, the problems you read here are the exceptions, not the rule. With thousands of RX owners reading this forum, you don't hear about the vehicle that didn't break down. Don't expect to hear anyone reporting that their car started quickly this morning, or that they didn't have a flat on the freeway. People tend to report when their Lexus doesn't meet their expectations. If we all recorded our daily experiences, this might be a more representative sample of Lexus ownership, but it would be a boring place, indeed.
Old 09-27-05, 07:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

The RX300 is not perfect but for all I do with her, she has held up better than anything I have owned.
Old 09-27-05, 01:32 PM
jassurafs
Driver School Candidate

Default My Lexus is good!

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Remember, the problems you read here are the exceptions, not the rule. With thousands of RX owners reading this forum, you don't hear about the vehicle that didn't break down. Don't expect to hear anyone reporting that their car started quickly this morning, or that they didn't have a flat on the freeway. People tend to report when their Lexus doesn't meet their expectations. If we all recorded our daily experiences, this might be a more representative sample of Lexus ownership, but it would be a boring place, indeed.
My car did start quickly this morning, I didn't have a flat and it ran smooth!!

Well said Lil4X. It is the nature of the forums where people tend to air their problems anticipating solutions. Forums are a medium to share information (particularly with issues) that people would have encountered themselves. Having said that, most of the issues aired on Lexus forums are alike -- unlike forums from different manufacturers where you see varied issues making me think "Darn, the other car got so many problems!!".
Old 09-27-05, 10:17 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

very reliable. But all my Honda, Toyota, and now Lexus vehicles have been near perfect. Even my Yamaha motorcycle and jet ski were very well made.

I started having problems with my Accord and MR2 at 150k, I still have a LONG way to go to get there with my RX but I fully expect it to make it to 150k before I have to start replacing non-wear items.
Old 09-27-05, 11:25 PM
Christian8
Pole Position

Talking

i have almost 100k miles on my 99 awd lexus and so far its been the best vehicle ive driven.
Old 09-28-05, 07:47 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Like most vehicles built in the last ten years of so, the maintenance is an important part of the auto purchase. These aluminum block and head engines are less durable than the cast iron unit of the past. They require rather fresh fluids and filters. If ignored, troubles arise. I consider my RX AWD very reliable.
Old 09-28-05, 08:49 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2002 RX300 has been extremely reliable. So far I've had three major problems that were all caused by human error. It's 3 yrs 7 mos old with 51K miles.

1. Out of whack alignment right from the showroom - the lot monkey probably hit the curb.
2. Brake rotor warped - Lexus service overtightened the wheel nuts (from 120 to over 150 ft / lbs.)
3. Check Engine light - pigheaded tech disconnected hose when the air filter was changed.

I've had tranny shift quality issue. Fixed it myself by downgrading from 87 octane to 85.
Old 10-01-05, 07:25 PM
mr. aristo
Lead Lap

also remember on the forums u only hear of the things that are wrong with the car... i dont' post when my car is driving great... u know what i mean
Old 10-18-05, 05:14 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

even though i only used it for 33k miles, it seemed very reliable. except for the rattling glove box. i had the dealer temporarily "fix" the rattle, and they caused another rattle. so that was the only problem i ever experienced. otherwise, it's a great suv. just watch out for oil sludges (hint hint, GET THAT OIL CHANGE DONE) . lol
Old 10-18-05, 06:53 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my car for over 6.5 years. Yes, it isn't perfect, but it is safe, great to drive, works in the snow, rides well and is dependable. Except for the brakes and the new air flow sensor I just had the dealer replace, the dealer and Lexus have taken wonderful care of this car. They have been a pleasure to deal with and I highly recommend them. Yes the transmission did go, but they replaced it for free. It would take a lot for me to buy something else, I purchased a RX400h in June and love it, too.
Old 10-31-05, 03:50 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With 2 RX's in nearly 7 years we have had no major problems, just interior rattles and windshield noise.
Would buy this vehicle,
service value ?

Last edited by parula; 12-08-05 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-28-05, 01:05 PM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
I've had my car for over 6.5 years. Yes, it isn't perfect, but it is safe, great to drive, works in the snow, rides well and is dependable. Except for the brakes and the new air flow sensor I just had the dealer replace, the dealer and Lexus have taken wonderful care of this car. They have been a pleasure to deal with and I highly recommend them. Yes the transmission did go, but they replaced it for free. It would take a lot for me to buy something else, I purchased a RX400h in June and love it, too.
Just remember when someone asks you "Has the vehicle ever had a repair that was major, in terms of cost, inconvenience, or severity," that you should say YES when you have had a tranny replaced, even if it was paid for. I love our Lexus, but it gets under my skin that Lexus has an undeserved positive reputation. Their vehicles are no better built than a Toyota or a Honda, yet they hypnotize us into thinking they are, with their convincing customer service.

Just had the rear main seal replaced at 43K. It didn't cost me, but it was major, and I will report it as such.
Old 11-29-05, 04:44 PM
mhc0725
Driver

Smile Start again and again

I've had my '99 RX AWD for four years now and I'm sick and tired of it starting up perfectly and driving without a problem day in and day out... : )

I totally agree with Lil4X, who comes into a Forum discussing problems to write that they have no problems. I'm sure if you go into any Ford or Chrysler site, you'll get more variety of problems than just the few transmissions that have blown on Lexus'.

Is Lexus perfect? Of course not. Every manufacturer is going to have their lemons that come off the assembly line. It's those manufacturer that produce the least amount of lemons that get recognized for their 'high' quality, whether it's perceived or actual. A Lexus is not just as good as a Toyota or Honda. I've riden in the RX's sister (ugly little sister) vehicle the Highlander and there is no comparison in fit or finish, or overall quality of interior feel. The extra $15K+ for the RX isn't going into nothing.

The lemon case in point, I had a '95 Civic for ten years, drove it 200K and never had an issue. Ended up selling it with 202K for $800 to a colleague and he's put on another 30K without issues. Another colleague bought a '05 Civic, can't get the mileage past 25mpg city (although rated for 30 mpg) and the interior upholstery is falling apart. Go figure. Honda going cheap, or just a lemon? Look at the '06 Civic. I'm ready to dive right into one with my experience with my '95 rather than what I've seen in the '05 vehicle because I know Honda makes great cars.
Old 12-01-05, 07:22 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
My 2002 RX300 has been extremely reliable. So far I've had three major problems that were all caused by human error. It's 3 yrs 7 mos old with 51K miles.

1. Out of whack alignment right from the showroom - the lot monkey probably hit the curb.
2. Brake rotor warped - Lexus service overtightened the wheel nuts (from 120 to over 150 ft / lbs.)
3. Check Engine light - pigheaded tech disconnected hose when the air filter was changed.

I've had tranny shift quality issue. Fixed it myself by downgrading from 87 octane to 85.

LOL!
wow HarrierAWD, I think your better off not getting Lexus to service your car...

IsraelRX,
All kidding aside, my '99 RX replaces a '93 Nissan Pathfinder... (traded it in with 165000 miles with original clutch).

Lets just say the Nissan left some pretty big shoes to fill...

As far as reliability, yes it has been every bit as reliable, except for an exhaust gasket that went costing $100 at dealer, everything has been routine maintenance it now has 80,000 miles.

Don't let the "problem" posts scare you. Any forum will have that, just check the Honda, Acura and Mercedes forums.

Quick Reply: RX300 reliability