RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
View Poll Results: How reliable is/was your RX300
Good
79.90%
Avarage
10.82%
Bad
9.28%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

RX300 reliability

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-07, 08:22 AM
2MCHPSI
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fern
If you really think about it isn't the concept of the extended warranty something one would purchase for a vehicle with questionable reliability, ie: Chysler, Ford, etc...

It never stops amazing me how Lexus works so hard to build a name for themselves as one of the most reliable luxury car manufactures, yet still makes a profit in selling extended warranties.

I purchased a BMW with 108,000km without an extended warranty and it's been trouble free since (no need to knock on wood )and a Lexus Rx300 with 78,000 km with the extended warr and tranny rebuild already out of pocket and cracked manifold and tailgate struts that fail early in lifespan, etc... All of which were NOT covered under warranty.

Extended warranties are great for those selling them (they consider the sale pure profit) ie: interest on premium in the bank pays for the few losses they get...

The reality is that the vehicles are made to last (the life of the warranty), thats what you call ENGINEERING.

However, that said, for those that sleep easier at night with an extended warranty under their pillow, all the power to them!
With the cost of components these days, I would always recommend getting a FACTORY extended warranty(beware of aftermarket warranties). Being a tech at a dealer for many years, every brand has lemons. It is piece of mind in case you are unlucky enough to have one. One major repair and that warranty pays for itself two fold.
Old 02-27-07, 04:17 PM
T720
Driver School Candidate

I hate the turning radius, too. But, my 2001 RX300 has 112,000 miles and is the most reliable car that I've ever owned. Much more reliable than other cars I've owned or driven, inlcuding BMW and Mercedes.
Old 03-19-07, 07:46 PM
LexFather

Our RX 300 just hit 170k miles, no major issues. Leather is a worn on the armrests, a rattle, headlights need cleaning (gonna sand them down and get the grime off) but never any major issues!

Starter did go a 150k.
Old 03-19-07, 08:00 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2MCHPSI
With the cost of components these days, I would always recommend getting a FACTORY extended warranty(beware of aftermarket warranties). Being a tech at a dealer for many years, every brand has lemons.
I agree that every brand has lemons. Though I would unload a lemon as quickly as possible (even before the standard warranty expires.)

So IMHO, buying factory extended warranty is a pure waste of money. Just padding the dealer's bottom line.
Old 03-20-07, 08:36 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
I
So IMHO, buying factory extended warranty is a pure waste of money. Just padding the dealer's bottom line.
I can’t agree with this. I have the extended up to 104K. I already used 600 of it. I can’t complain. I drive this car without fear. I paid about 1K for it. Shoots when u r spending 30K+. What is an extra grand, for 60K more of coverage? I did a constant 100mph from New York to Connecticut hitting my 112 several times. I can do this b/c the warranty covers all of my drive-train and most of car. BTW before all u self-righteous people speak out. It was 5am Sunday morning. Its not how fast you drive, but how alert u drive. The only time I ever got home any quicker was in my GSR.
Old 03-20-07, 04:44 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Our RX 300 just hit 170k miles, no major issues. Leather is a worn on the armrests, a rattle, headlights need cleaning (gonna sand them down and get the grime off) but never any major issues!

Starter did go a 150k.
1Sick, that is nice! But then it is a Lexus.
I'm just gonna baby those armrests on mine a little. . . .... my headlights have crud on them too, but I don't know how to get that off.
Old 05-27-07, 10:13 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by parula
1Sick, that is nice! But then it is a Lexus.
I'm just gonna baby those armrests on mine a little. . . .... my headlights have crud on them too, but I don't know how to get that off.
Buy brand new ones they are $154 for the pair (this also includes all bulbs). PM me if you need the URL.
Old 07-17-07, 12:05 PM
cwu
Driver School Candidate

I DIY more frequently than needed on my 2001 RX300 for majorities of maintain, such as changing engine oil, transmission oil, air filter, coolant, tire rotation. Other then these, I had never seen dealer for else listed on the manual (forgot the detail, but some adjustments are my concerned).

So far, my car runs great. Does anyone have suggestion to spend money to dealer for others?
Old 07-18-07, 02:16 PM
vanguy
Rookie

Default Wife's 99 with 70K miles

My wife's 99 AWD has been very good but with some typical problems like:

the "D" light is out on the dash board, both rear shock mounts replaced, and broken key.

I do all the oil changes with Mobil 1 every 7K miles or so and change out all the fluid every 2.5 years.

The 99 RX300 represents the first generation of cross over SUV which is all the rage now. The car's styling has held up well and still look fresh today when compared to the new offerings. I plan to keep it for at least another 150K miles or so. Hopefully, I don't encounter any major problems.
Old 07-18-07, 03:48 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by vanguy
My wife's 99 AWD has been very good but with some typical problems like:

the "D" light is out on the dash board, both rear shock mounts replaced, and broken key.

I do all the oil changes with Mobil 1 every 7K miles or so and change out all the fluid every 2.5 years.

The 99 RX300 represents the first generation of cross over SUV which is all the rage now. The car's styling has held up well and still look fresh today when compared to the new offerings. I plan to keep it for at least another 150K miles or so. Hopefully, I don't encounter any major problems.
You came to the right place. Welcome to Club Lexus.
Old 07-18-07, 08:39 PM
vanguy
Rookie

Default very helpful

Lexmex, you are an excellent moderator with your knowledge of RX300. I'm sure many in this forum have express this to you. You don't seem to fit the profile of a typical Lexus owner or a RX300 owner. I meant this as a compliment since a typical Lexus/RX300 owner like my sister just put gas in the car and never open the hood. The RX300 is just not a DIY type of car and usually do not attract a DIY type of person. My RX is slightly unique because it's a Canadian car and has a factory cloth interior which I've never seen on any other RX300s. The only mod I did to it is installing a back up sensor that actual tells you the exact distances of the object behind you rather than using different pitch tone.

I appreciate your dedications to this forum and your detailed pictures and explanations on many topics. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-19-07, 07:00 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Thank you very much.

For me, by nature of where I am, it has to be a DIY vehicle. I am hopeful that before I go home to the U.S. I get to see Lexus open its doors here.

I have seen cloth interiors in the Harriers on my recent trip to Jamaica. I would actually want to visit again just to get a chance to take a look at the 1st gen and of course the 2nd generation Harriers. Very interesting.
Old 07-24-07, 11:41 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our 99 RX300 has 120K miles so far, still going strong.
The 'D' light is out too :-)
Old 06-17-08, 06:49 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by vanguy
Lexmex, you are an excellent moderator with your knowledge of RX300. I'm sure many in this forum have express this to you. You don't seem to fit the profile of a typical Lexus owner or a RX300 owner. I meant this as a compliment since a typical Lexus/RX300 owner like my sister just put gas in the car and never open the hood. The RX300 is just not a DIY type of car and usually do not attract a DIY type of person. My RX is slightly unique because it's a Canadian car and has a factory cloth interior which I've never seen on any other RX300s. The only mod I did to it is installing a back up sensor that actual tells you the exact distances of the object behind you rather than using different pitch tone.

I appreciate your dedications to this forum and your detailed pictures and explanations on many topics. Keep up the good work.
I second that.Lex,your the best!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-08, 03:46 AM
rfakinbile
Rookie

My RX 300 1999 has done 160k and is performing greatly. Its a nice car to have. There is no perfect automobile but how you maintain your car determines the value you get most times.

Quick Reply: RX300 reliability