RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 Buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-05, 09:11 AM
cameron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300 Buying advice

My wife and I are looking for a 2002/2003 RX300 with less than 50K. We are not in a hurry, since she currently drives a convertible, and, being in Cleveland, we probably won't sell it until next spring.

What is the best time to purchase an RX300 (private or dealer)? One dealer told us that early fall is a bad time because of the increased demand for "winter-capability" vehicles. The prices for 2002s with moderate miles seems awfully high ($26K+ for a vehicle that only cost $35K new!).

Anyone else have tips for getting a better deal? Should we wait for the end of the year or mid-winter?

Thanks,
Cameron
Old 09-09-05, 12:36 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The high used selling price translates into low depreciation (the other side of the coin).

I see quite a few for sale on eBay, many from Florida and Texas. I have no experience with these, but it might be something to look at.
Old 09-09-05, 05:52 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Desireablity drives up the demand and the price follows. What may be against you now when you want to purchase may be in your favor when you want to sell.

Any middleman (or person) involved will add their cut. So theoratically buy from the private seller, on the other hand the the dealer may give you some assurity (get it in writing). With low milage you get some warranty coverage either way.

This is what I would suggest ... do the homework and establish a range of prices based on milage and model year (+options). If you are in no hurry keep looking for the vehicles on the low end of the price spectrum and if it matches your desires/needs make an offer.

I would only reccomend buying used vehicles which have a maintainance record. Oil change at reccomened interval or shorter for RX is an absolute must.

When to buy is more of question when you think people want to sell?
Private parties usually do it when they are ready to make the next purchase ... New model year, strong insentive from new car dealers, time when they get a bonus, new vans/suvs around vacation time. I will skip the unpleasent occasions.
Dealers; Only when their inventories are bloating.

Salim
Old 09-09-05, 09:14 PM
BOWTIE 3
Driver

Default Buying Used RX300

I recommend buying a used RX300 from a Lexus dealer because of the Certified Lexus Warranty. When my wife bought her 2000 two years ago the dealer prices weren't any higher than the vehicles in the classified ads. You really don't know what you've got when buying from a private seller. At least the dealer offers the warranty. Just make sure that the Certified Warranty is included in the sale. Not all used Lexus vehicles have the warranty. Also I have learned that the high resale / trade-in value of Lexus vehicles is diminished during the years of ownership because of the extortion experienced when getting Lexus dealer service / repairs. I've been in the auto industry for over 30 years and I've never seen it this bad ! I suggest that when the car is out warranty, have it serviced or repaired at a Toyota dealer. [ It's mostly a Toyota Highlander and uses regular fuel ] P.S. Shop on the LAST 3 days of a month. Ask a sales rep how their month is going and if they're going to hit their projection. If the used vehicle business has been slow then you're in a better bargaining position. And be sure to bring up that Accura MDX you've had your eye on !

Last edited by BOWTIE 3; 09-09-05 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-09-05, 11:16 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The best time to buy is early fall and after the shopping season. In early fall, dealers desperately want to clear out the "old new" cars, so they mark down everything... including used cars.

Few people buy new cars after the shopping season because people have spent their money on gifts, etc. Low showroom traffic means bigger discount.
Old 09-12-05, 12:40 PM
mmahamm
Driver

We bought a certified 2002 with 32K miles on it. We had a connection with the dealer, and got a discount, and paid just under $30K for it. Their list price was $33,500.

If you are patient, and not picky about color, you can get one for less. We just missed getting an 03 with 30K miles for about $27K. Keep looking online and pounce when you see one for a good price.

Also consider buying a loaded Toyota Highlander.
Old 09-12-05, 01:13 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Anytime you can find a good deal from a reputable dealer is a good time to buy. Lexus normally has two significant sales during the year. One at new model introduction is just ending now. The next will be in December, just prior to the EOY. Called the "December to Remember Sale" by Lexus dealers, they will be making some of their best deals on current MY vehicles to get them off the lot before the 2006 tax year. If you are in the market for a good used Lexus, December should also be a good time to buy, thanks to increased numbers of vehicles coming in on trade.

Oh, and Bowtie makes a good point - even though CPO vehicles (Certified Pre-Owned) are a little pricey, the dealer inspection, selection, and additional warranty are usually well worth it.