RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Advice Re: 2002 RX300 30K

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-05, 12:18 AM
RinnDogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Re: 2002 RX300 30K

Hi,

My 2002 RX300 is approaching it's 30,000 soon and all the Lexus dealers I've called in my area (Bay Area--Putnam, Serramonte, and Magnussen) have quoted my 30k to be $650+. I researched some of the advice given on this site and I called a few service advisors asking how much it would cost to just do what the manual says and they have all given me a variety of runarounds ("well, i can't look that up right now. I will have to tally it up individually." while some say I should do the full dealer recommended check since it's been 3 yrs). Most of my miles are highway miles for my commuting and I don't take my car anywhere other than that.

I don't know much about cars and when I finally do go to a dealer to get it done, I want to make sure they don't see me as just another girl they can overcharge because I'm clueless

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-26-05, 03:36 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default 30k

hello, what I think you're talking about is the Class C service. And if it's actually the Class C, then it's a pretty involved service.

What I did was, I purchased my OEM TOYOTA parts seperately and requested just the labor, however I had the work preformed by a Toyota dealership. The Toyota dealership has a nice Class C checklist sheet that they use and the technician should check off all the serviced items and provide you with this 2 page checklist for your records.

If I remember correctly, by now your brake pads may need to be replaced (depending on your driving habits) & rotors to either be turned or replaced also, which accounts for a big chunk of the service/labor costs. The rest is fluids, filters, wiper blades and inspection.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-05, 05:55 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2002 RX300 too. I try to follow the Lexus recommendations, with a few additions. That means I had the 30K/2-year service at the 2-year point and am now shopping around for the 45K/3-year service now, even though I just have 33,000 miles on the car.

I replace the A/C cabin air filter every 18 months (as Lexus recommends) and find it really needs it. I replaced the engine air filter at 2 years and it didn't look too bad, but still could have used replacement.

My feeling is that the wiper blades should be replaced at 2 years if the car is usually out of the sun and once a year if the car is kept in the sun.

The dealers push for a drain and replacement of transmission fluid (and differential fluid if AWD) every year or two. I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt on that additional procedure every two years.

I don't think you'll need brake work at 30K, if you drive normally, but they'll check it when they rotate the tires.

I take my car to Toyota for their $25 oil changes at 4-6-month intervals. The annual Lexus service is always a hastle getting a decent price. I paid $537 for the 2-year/30K service last year. That's with changing the wiper blades and engine air filter myself. That'll be the last time I do that. I'll either do it myself or maybe go to Toyota.

Just visited my local Lexus dealer for an estimate on the 3-yr/45K service. Their service is about $230, but $65 for oil change and $90 to rotate and balance tires, but they said they won't record it as a 3-year service unless I do all the extra stuff they stuff the bill with. I'm tempted to wait until my next trip to Florida and have the service done down there. Grrrrrr...
Old 08-26-05, 08:00 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 30K is one of the intense maintenance reviews. All the fluids are changed. Coolant, brake, transmission, motor oil, power steering, front transfer case and rear differential. Both engine and cabin A/C air filters with the oil filter. Lub locks and hinges on all doors and hood. Service the charcoal filter and check alternator -voltage regulator wih service tool. Check with your owners manual supplement for what is suggested for extreme use. Your AWD transmission should be at least drain and filled, mabee flushed if it's fluid is dark in color. Save the receipts, document dates and record milage when services are completed, for your warranty and resale value.
Old 08-26-05, 09:28 AM
bob2200
Driver

Originally Posted by Tammy
All the fluids are changed. Coolant, brake, transmission, motor oil, power steering, front transfer case and rear differential. Both engine and cabin A/C air filters with the oil filter. Lub locks and hinges on all doors and hood. Service the charcoal filter and check alternator -voltage regulator wih service tool.
That may be what your dealership does, but it's not what is done by the dealers here, or what's in the service manual. Changing power steering fluid isn't ever done here and cabin filter is every 18 months per the book. Servicing the charcoal filter is a new one on me too.
Old 08-26-05, 10:26 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RinnDogg
Hi,

My 2002 RX300 is approaching it's 30,000 soon and all the Lexus dealers I've called in my area (Bay Area--Putnam, Serramonte, and Magnussen) have quoted my 30k to be $650+. I researched some of the advice given on this site and I called a few service advisors asking how much it would cost to just do what the manual says and they have all given me a variety of runarounds ("well, i can't look that up right now. I will have to tally it up individually." while some say I should do the full dealer recommended check since it's been 3 yrs). Most of my miles are highway miles for my commuting and I don't take my car anywhere other than that.

I don't know much about cars and when I finally do go to a dealer to get it done, I want to make sure they don't see me as just another girl they can overcharge because I'm clueless

Lexus dealers are overcharging you.
My 00 AWD User Manual Supplement requires the following replacements:
1)engine oil and filter
2)engine air filter
3)engine coolant
4)brake fluid

if you drive off road, deep sand, mud or water, you need to replace
differential, transfer and transmision fluid
5) tire rotation
and many inspect items such as brake and exhaust.

As you can see, you can just the above require list to honor warranty. However, I would recommend you to change transmission fluid because RX has tranny problem.

Cabin air filter replacement is described in the User Manual, it is very simple 5 minute DIY, no tools required.
Engine air filter you can replace yourself, pop the hook, and look for the black air box, loosen two clips, and wiggle off the top cover, you will see air filter inside. Again no tools required, just 5 minutes of your time. www.irontoad.com to order OEM cabin filters and engine air filter.
Now you can go to Lexus or any trusted mechanic of your own just request 1), 3), 4), and tranny fluid. I bet that is < $650. I think you can get free tire rotation at Discount Tire to take care of 5).
Also don't be afraid to do it yourself, engine won't explode and warranty won't expire, just save your receipts.
Old 08-26-05, 11:31 AM
bob2200
Driver

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Lexus dealers are overcharging you.
Engine air filter you can replace yourself, pop the hook, and look for the black air box, loosen two clips, and wiggle off the top cover, you will see air filter inside. Again no tools required, just 5 minutes of your time.
I agree with almost everything. On the 2002 RX300, I recall needing a 10mm socket wrench to replace the engine air filter. The 10mm bolts pressed the cover over the sides of the filter.

Also, if they don't rotate the tires they won't check the brake disk pad wear, IMO.
Old 08-26-05, 11:35 AM
bob2200
Driver

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Now you can go to Lexus or any trusted mechanic of your own just request 1), 3), 4), and tranny fluid.
Another important thing. Make very sure that any tranny fluid they use is special Toyota tranny fluid (T-IV I think).
Old 08-26-05, 01:14 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2200
Another important thing. Make very sure that any tranny fluid they use is special Toyota tranny fluid (T-IV I think).
I agree, go to Toyota to buy ATF, Lexus will charge you additional $ for the same fluid. You can also buy Toyota Long Life Coolant to stay OEM with all parts.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 08-26-05 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-26-05, 07:34 PM
Bobk528
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're too far from Mountain View, I believe Yarnell's will perform the 30k service for about $270 because that's what they quoted me to perfom a 60k service on my 2000 RX300. If you take it to a Toyota dealership, they will charge much less than a Lexus dealership.
Old 08-27-05, 07:56 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by RinnDogg
Hi,

I for one will tell you that I have always been treated well and fairly at Lexus service department. You need to build a trust and relatioship with the service advisor and if things are not done to your satisfaction the office of the service manager is down the hall.

That said, dealership is a bussiness, and they are there to make money and would prefer to keep their bays busy. With Luxury cars you get better service but the cost goes up as well.

Here is my suggestion: make a service appointment and insist that only items reccomended by manufacturer be done. Service advisor would reccomend additional items but it is upto you say yes or no to them. [if you live in a hilly area with extreme climate, additional transmission service would be a good choice .. but again it is up to you]. Weigh out the pros and cons [incuding $$] if the service is done by you [DIY], independant garge or other car dealerships.

You are in the driver seat. The dealership will do what you authorize them to do. With cars, be prepared to receive a phone call .... during inspection we found such and such and we reccomend such and such.

Salim