RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Time to get new tires!! :( Cross Terrain???? holy molly $$$

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-05, 08:13 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When Costco was running their Michelin sale, they were cheaper than at TireRack. I stayed with the OEM size and replaced the crappy Bridgestones. The Cross Terrains were like night and day in the snow compared to the Bridgestones. Even with AWD and VSC, the rears would still break loose at every startup in the snow and the back end would fishtail towards the right. The Cross Terrains just hook up and go in the snow.

I've had them on for 10,000 miles now. The are just as smooth and quiet as the OEMs. Worth every penny. Had I known there was such a difference in the beginning, I would have junked the OEMs when they were brand new. Nothing worse than buying a $40K AWD vehicle with junk tires.

Our '04 GX came with the Cross Terrains from the factory. We've been real happy with that setup also.
Old 08-19-05, 11:05 AM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Michelin Michelin Michelin

I had 30k on my Integritys when OnlineTires had the CTs for ~ $75. So I figured at that price I could throw away the Integritys and get the 235 Michelin CTs at no loss. The 235 feel much better and look slightly more aggressive. I had them mounted with the white lettering on the inside. I have about 45k on them and they still have a lot of tread remaining.

My friend bought Yokohoma Geolanders because they were cheaper and the reviews seemed to be good. However, his is a lot more noisier.

In future, I plan to stick with Michelins and not trust CR.

I would also wait for Costco's $60 promotion- apart from saving $$, I like having Nitrogen in my tires and also have them do the free tire rotations and balancing.
Old 08-19-05, 01:25 PM
accuview
Driver School Candidate

As mentioned above, I replaced my OEM Integreties with Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. I have noticed that for the same driving conditions, the mileage has dropped by 1 mpg. Anyone noticed something similar after switching to newer tires?
Old 08-22-05, 02:17 PM
MR_RX300
Driver School Candidate

Default why can't i find the Cross Terrain at Costco??

there is a $50 off sale if you buy 4 tires right now at Costco...so I may go there now....
has anyone gone there and had them put their tires on....I don't know if I trust them...we are talking about someone touching my baby!!! Don't want them to do a half a@@ job on my Rx now.

by the way........is this the cross terrain tire???

http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product....ed=S&Width=225

Last edited by MR_RX300; 08-22-05 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-22-05, 02:39 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_RX300
there is a $50 off sale if you buy 4 tires right now at Costco...so I may go there now....
has anyone gone there and had them put their tires on....I don't know if I trust them...we are talking about someone touching my baby!!! Don't want them to do a half a@@ job on my Rx now.

No, different tire.
Old 08-22-05, 02:51 PM
MR_RX300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
No, different tire.

yeah I see that I can't find the ones I want....i know I saw them at the store...but where are they at???
Old 08-22-05, 03:51 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah I see that I can't find the ones I want....i know I saw them at the store...but where are they at???
You should head to the store. I know they have them since I priced them for my MDX. It was not on the website. Although I ended up getting something else at a different shop, I know the CTs are available at the actual store.
Old 08-22-05, 05:02 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my Cross Terrains at Costco a few years ago and go back every 10K for a free rotation and balance. Not many places include balance with rotation. They are very professional there and even use nitrogen when filling your tires. I have never had any problems. They never over torque or cause any problems with the locking lug. We shop at Costco about once a week so it's a no-brainer to have tires rotated while we shop. Costco even includes free flat repair, which I had to use once. I was just there the other day and saw the sign for $50 off a set of 4 Michelins. I think it is Aug.19 to Sept. 4. Mine still have some life left in them, so I think I will wait until January when the $60. off a set of 4 sale comes around.
Old 08-22-05, 05:06 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

WHOA Does COSTCO really have $50 off right now on Cross Terrains?? Do you need a coupon or how do you get it, I really need tires?

I know they had a coupon back in July and a special in January, but I haven't seen anything current.
Old 08-22-05, 05:19 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
WHOA Does COSTCO really have $50 off right now on Cross Terrains?? Do you need a coupon or how do you get it, I really need tires?

I know they had a coupon back in July and a special in January, but I haven't seen anything current.
I don't think there is any coupon. I just saw the sign hanging in the main section of the store. Give you local store a call.
Old 08-22-05, 06:38 PM
MR_RX300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toy4two

NO Coupon this time around......go to website and type in tires to view the special or go to the store......when you purchase 4 tires you get 50 bucks off your purchase....not bad since 50 bucks can fill up your gas tank a couple times...well almost...but it sure helps!!!
Also price includes tire disposal and mounting and balancing...can't beat that ......
Old 08-22-05, 06:41 PM
MR_RX300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikey00
I bought my Cross Terrains at Costco a few years ago and go back every 10K for a free rotation and balance. Not many places include balance with rotation. They are very professional there and even use nitrogen when filling your tires. I have never had any problems.
Nitrogen for you tires?? hmmmm can't say i know much about that....is that good or bad.....and what if I have to add air from time to time.........do u have to use nitrogen all the time..and what exactly is the advantages/disadvantages..............

I only know of Good ole AIR To fill tires.......you know the free stuff in the air....haha

Last edited by MR_RX300; 08-22-05 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-22-05, 06:49 PM
MR_RX300
Driver School Candidate

ok one more thing...i asked about this before...but does anyone have the CT on there RX300 and have the white letter showing with the stock rims....I am just curious...can't seem to find any pics to get an idea if it will look stupid or not!!
Old 08-24-05, 07:15 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default did it

I just got back from COSTCO, with $50 off it was $605 out the door.

They look like nice tires, only drove 5 miles on them so I don't really have any feedback.

Coupe of tips, ask for your valve caps back if you don't like green (to signify nitrogen filling) and ask them to put a few more PSI of Nitro in if thats what you are used to, cause once you leave you realize you can't just go to a gas station and dial in your ride, better to overfill and drain some out to get the ride you want.

So far though very Lexus ride, super duper comfy.
Old 08-24-05, 10:38 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by accuview
As mentioned above, I replaced my OEM Integreties with Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. I have noticed that for the same driving conditions, the mileage has dropped by 1 mpg. Anyone noticed something similar after switching to newer tires?
That is because the tire diameter is different, thread was 2/32 inches for legal minimum but 10/32 or 11/32 when tires are new. That is 1/2 inch difference in diameter, 1/2 Pi inches per rotation. In another word a single rotation cover different distances but the car does not know it.

Quick Reply: Time to get new tires!! :( Cross Terrain???? holy molly $$$