RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission selector problem: Hard to shift out of Park

Old 07-25-05, 03:05 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Transmission selector problem: Hard to shift out of Park

Need some tech help here.

Shifting out of Park is getting harder and harder for some reason. Sometime it even makes a loud thunk when I shift out of park. Depressing the brake all the way to floor makes this easier but don't recall my transmission selector being this hard to shift. It's worse when the car is parked on a downhill.

Just on a side note, my transmission fluid was pretty dark - close to black. So, I've been doing drain and fills for the last 2 oil changes - fearing that a tranny flush might get some particle lodged in the tranny somewhere. This, by the way, didn't provide any relief to my shifting out of park problem.

Any idea? Thank you for your suggestions.
Old 07-25-05, 03:24 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

IMHO it might be more useful to do a complete flush on the transmission fluid. If there's a particle of something in there, it will find a place to lodge on its own. At least give it an opportunity to flush out. Transmission needs a new filter too. You might have a good mechanic who is familiar with Lexus or Toyota transmissions take a look . . . your ATF should NOT be black - that indicates a problem may be in your future.

To alleviate your parking problem, when parking on a hill, set the e-brake before shifting into Park. That will help prevent the vehicle from rolling and putting a load on the parking pawl in the transmission, making it difficult to get OUT of Park.

OK, experts, let's give him some help here!
Old 07-25-05, 05:51 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Not that it will solve your problem, but use the auxillary (foot-brake/parking-brake) to release the load on transmisson when parked on incline.

Salim
Old 07-25-05, 06:37 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
Need some tech help here.

Shifting out of Park is getting harder and harder for some reason. Sometime it even makes a loud thunk when I shift out of park. Depressing the brake all the way to floor makes this easier but don't recall my transmission selector being this hard to shift. It's worse when the car is parked on a downhill.

Just on a side note, my transmission fluid was pretty dark - close to black. So, I've been doing drain and fills for the last 2 oil changes - fearing that a tranny flush might get some particle lodged in the tranny somewhere. This, by the way, didn't provide any relief to my shifting out of park problem.

Any idea? Thank you for your suggestions.
how bout using the parking break when u park on an uphil. whats ur rmps at when u shift into gear
Old 07-26-05, 07:47 PM
LexusSexus
Driver School Candidate

If you're still under your drivetrain warranty make sure you get it in for service. My experience with Lexus warranty service has been phenomenal. At least get the problem on the books
Old 07-28-05, 10:39 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Thanks for your suggestion. I doubt that I have to change the tranny oil filter. Changing a tranny oil filter is highly unusual. I've never seen it done.

What is an E-brake? RX was never equipped with such a thing. Parking brake is available and I use it diligently.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the transmission oil color. The transmission really isn't the fault here, IMO. The problem is the selector itself. Anyone ever run into this?
Old 07-28-05, 10:50 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by MellonC00
Thanks for your suggestion. I doubt that I have to change the tranny oil filter. Changing a tranny oil filter is highly unusual. I've never seen it done.

What is an E-brake? RX was never equipped with such a thing. Parking brake is available and I use it diligently.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the transmission oil color. The transmission really isn't the fault here, IMO. The problem is the selector itself. Anyone ever run into this?
E-brake = emergency brake = parking brake. Just another way of saying it.

Maybe an issue with the interlock between the (regular) brake pedal and the shifter. The interlock prevents you from shifting out of park unless your foot is on the brake, but if there is a problem there, it may be sticking somewhat.

Also, don't dismiss the transmission as the culprit. The shift lever is connected to the transmission, and it very well may be that a problem in the transmission is causing the difficulty in shifting from Park.
Old 07-28-05, 01:25 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Originally Posted by mmahamm
E-brake = emergency brake = parking brake. Just another way of saying it.

Maybe an issue with the interlock between the (regular) brake pedal and the shifter. The interlock prevents you from shifting out of park unless your foot is on the brake, but if there is a problem there, it may be sticking somewhat.

Also, don't dismiss the transmission as the culprit. The shift lever is connected to the transmission, and it very well may be that a problem in the transmission is causing the difficulty in shifting from Park.
I see. I was confusing some E-brake function from latest sports cars.... Thanks for the clarification.

Your second comment worries me. I think I may even have to go to the dealer if I don't hear back any first hand comments.
Old 07-28-05, 07:45 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Just for clarity there is a procedure to follow applying and relasing the auxillary brake to releive the transmission ..

Stopping:
Apply Aux. brake.
Shift to park.

Giddyup:
Move out of Park.
Release the Aux brake.

If you apply the Aux brake after transmission is in Park, the strain is already built-up.
Similarly releasing the Aux brake with the trans in Park trasfer the strain.

*** This only helps when parked on an incline. If the problem is also on level surfaces, the above may not help you.

Salim
Old 07-29-05, 03:20 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How many miles are on your RX? While this is just my guess, it could be a worn or broken transmission mount. The hard shifting out of park is one symtom of that, but also could be for many others as stated above. Broken transmission mounts are somewhat common on cars as they get up there in miles. I can start as early 60K miles. Yes, even Lexus is prone to this as my SC400 needs new trans mounts when I got it from the previous owner.
Old 08-05-05, 10:56 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
How many miles are on your RX? While this is just my guess, it could be a worn or broken transmission mount. The hard shifting out of park is one symtom of that, but also could be for many others as stated above. Broken transmission mounts are somewhat common on cars as they get up there in miles. I can start as early 60K miles. Yes, even Lexus is prone to this as my SC400 needs new trans mounts when I got it from the previous owner.
How much did the new mount cost you?