RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rubbing noise from front wheels while turning

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-05, 01:34 PM
jomama11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing noise from front wheels while turning

Whenever my '99 RX (105K) is in motion and I execute a turn, no matter if it's sharp or soft, left or right, I hear this rhythmic rubbing crunchy noise from the front wheels.

It does not occur if I'm going straight ONLY when turning, left or right, soft or hard. The intensity of the sound does not seem to get worse/better with speed, it's fairly consistent. It seems to be coming from both wheels, but it could obviously be originating from one wheel -- as it's a little hard to tell. I've already been driving around the neighborhood with my head out the window too much as it is and unless my wife volunteers to be strapped to the hood I can't know for sure.

It almost sounds metallic, but it's definitely NOT a metallic screeching noise. It's more grindy and static-ky. I have to believe it has something to do with the wheels (and not a pump, etc) because it is rhythmic and the wheels are obviously spinning while in motion and the noise does not occur while stopped.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I had the car Lexus dealer checked (when it was purchased) about 10,000 miles ago and again when I did the big 95K maintenace. At those times I was told the wheels, struts, CV, etc looked excellent for the age and I had about 15K left before it was time to replace the brakes. I've budgeted for a a full brake job late this summer, I'd just like to know what the heck this is and if it might even be dangerous (like a bearing). Thoughts?
Old 06-16-05, 04:51 PM
mhc0725
Driver

Question Drive Shaft Boot

Is it a flopping noise of sorts? You mentioned there was screeching, so this might not be it, but with the 100K+ miles and you saying it was when you turned, I might think it's the drive shaft boots. Does the sound speed up as you speed up around a turn?

If it's the boots, they're about $150-200+ per side to fix approximately (non-dealer).
Old 06-17-05, 03:09 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mhc, very good to know for 300 owners, thks
Old 06-20-05, 07:16 AM
jomama11
Driver School Candidate

Yes, the sound does seem to speed up as I increase speed during a turn. However, it now seems as though the sound exists for right turns only, not really for left -- I must have been mistaken before. I've had several friends say they thought it might have to do with the brakes themselves, since they are old, they might be the cause of some of the noises.

I have a maintenance appointment scheduled for this week. I'll post the results of what is done here to help those searching the archive in the future.
Old 06-20-05, 08:47 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Possibly one of the CV joints. Check the CV boots (accordion-like rubber cover) at both front wheel axels to see if they are torn.
Old 06-20-05, 10:22 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

I have this same problem in my 04 RX330. The dealer can't to seem to firgure it out and it really is driving me nuts. He changed the strut bearing and that did notting. He told me that they would change the strut and strut tower next time. On mine only the right side makes noise and mine is like almost an odd rubbing noise and I really only get the noise when I push the truck hard on turns. How can I check those cv boots? Is there something I can look for? Thanks
Old 06-20-05, 10:49 AM
Arnie72
Driver School Candidate

Sounds to me like the main wheel bearing has gone bad on one side. Whenever you turn left or right you load and unload the bearing. I've had a VW and an Eclipse with this problem after 100K. Easy repair, takes about an hour to do + the pricey Lexus parts. Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-05, 11:34 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Arnie72
Sounds to me like the main wheel bearing has gone bad on one side. Whenever you turn left or right you load and unload the bearing. I've had a VW and an Eclipse with this problem after 100K. Easy repair, takes about an hour to do + the pricey Lexus parts. Hope this helps.

Thanks I will be sure to mention it. It's just driving me nuts because the truck has 20,000 miles on it and yesterday I got the third recall notice for the brake boster. I have owned serval Lexus and never had any recalls and with this truck I have had 3 and serval TSBs on it. I don't get it maybe it's because I got it when it first came out
Old 06-20-05, 11:45 AM
Arnie72
Driver School Candidate

Just for the heck of it, make sure your lug nuts are all tight. One or two loose bolts can cause a rubbing sound when the wheel is shifting on the hub.
Old 06-20-05, 03:54 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Arnie72
Just for the heck of it, make sure your lug nuts are all tight. One or two loose bolts can cause a rubbing sound when the wheel is shifting on the hub.
I just tryed it they are tight. But thats was something I never would have thought of, thank you! I also checked the TSB but they only have one for the Japan built rx for front suspension noise!
Old 06-21-05, 02:41 PM
kRonX
Lead Lap

Another thing regarding the wheel bearing, jack the car up and check to see if the the wheel jiggles. That could be a sign of the wheel bearing going...
Old 06-21-05, 02:46 PM
jomama11
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the ideas guys! I think the CV boots look ok to me...but I'm no pro either. I love a good mystery though -- I'll post whatever they find back here tomorrow.
Old 07-13-05, 04:14 PM
Hetal1223
Driver School Candidate

Default rubbing noice

Hi!!! please help!!!!!! I have problem with my RX300... it makes rubbing noice (very loud) but only when i turn right...and it makes noice i believe only summer time?... winter time, no problems? anyone has any idea?

Last edited by Hetal1223; 07-13-05 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-13-05, 04:21 PM
Hetal1223
Driver School Candidate

Default rubbing noice turning right

Hi!!! please help!!!!!! I have problem with my RX300... it makes rubbing noice (very loud) but only when i turn right...and it makes noice i believe only summer time?... winter time, no problems? anyone has any idea?
Old 07-13-05, 05:07 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hetal1223
something to do witht he left side suspension. what kind of rubbing noise more clunk or rubbing

Quick Reply: Rubbing noise from front wheels while turning