RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Advice on "Certified"

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-01, 01:03 PM
99RX300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hello,

I just purchased a 1999 RX 300 at a Lexus dealership. 27k miles, and "certified." After review, I have noticed that there is no possible way that they did the 128 point check. The first thing I checked was the air filter, and it was black and caked with dirt to the point air could hardly get through it. I checked other simple things such as the washer fluid, and it was practically empty. My faith in the "certification" is now diminished greatly...if they did not do these simple things, how can I be sure that they looked at the mechanical elements? Should I contact Lexus and fink on the dealership? I am simply not satisfied that they checked the car over before selling it to me. Any advice would be appreciated, as I feel as though I have been hoodwinked.
Old 06-07-01, 02:57 PM
Coach

Unhappy

I also just purchased a '99 RX300 just 3 weeks ago. I am a very detailed person and I told the salesman this. I went over my car with a fine tooth comb before accepting it and happy to say every item was perfect except the A/C air filter inside the glove box. It was dirty and that will be taken care of next week when it goes in for it's complementary service.
If I were you I would talk with your salesman first and have your RX gone over again. You also might want to have the sales manager and service manager there also just to make sure that everyone is on the same page.
Here's a hint... ask your salesman to see the list that shows where there dealership is rated against all the other Lexus dealerships in the us. My dealer, Ray Catena Lexus in Larchmont, NY is rated #2. This was one of the major reasons why a purchased my RX from this dealer.

Good Luck...
Coach
Old 06-08-01, 04:07 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

99RX300, I agree with Coach. Speaking from the standpoint of having bought 5 Lexi since 1992 (currently have 99RX and 01 GS430), I can say that, in general, all the good things that you have heard about Lexus, both vehicles and dealerships, is true. However, Lexus is now large enough a presence in this country that, at least in some places and cases, there is not quite the same intensity of attitude that "the customer WILL be satisfied and treated as a human being would always wish to be treated"as there used to be.

Having said that, remember that your service/inspection was performed, in all likelihood by only one service tech. If that person signed off on the work on your car but slacked on performing it (mechanics are usually payed flat rate/hr with a given job being assigned a certain # of hours; if they take less time, they make more money simply because they can do more jobs/day), then you get a situation such as you are in.

I think it more likely that the service tech fell down than the dealership. Be polite, be firm, point out as many deficiencies to both sales and service mgr as you can find and ask that the car be reserviced. If your dealership is indeed up to Lexus standards, believe me, both these guys want to know about this.

However (worst case scenario), if no satisfaction at dealer level, call 1-800-255-3987 (the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Dept - this information plus what you'll need when you talk to them is located int the first few pages of your Owner's Manual Supplement) and relate the tale. The folks at this level are very serious indeed about customer complaints. Sort of like the IRS or coming home to find the folks from "60 Minutes" waiting, with cameras, in your living room.

Welcome to the Lexus fold, and welcome to ClubLexus. Lots of helpful folks and good info here. Keep us posted.