RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Help - removing front brake disc

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-18, 10:38 AM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help - removing front brake disc

2000 RX300, logged 99k miles. The driver-side front break stuck and the pads wore out to the metal back plates. I am replacing the front breaks with new calipers, disks and pads. But this driver-side disk would not come loose. I applied WD4 and used the 2 small bolts trying to get the disk loosen but both threads on the disk busted. I then put the gear in N and turned the wheel around and applied hammer hits from back at the opening of back shield. The disk does not appear to give loose.

What else that I can try to loose the disk?

Old 09-21-18, 11:10 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Guaranteed method:
1. squirt lots of QuickWrench or similar into upper stud holes. Turn wheel 180 degrees, do what now is upper holes.
2. let it sit for 20 minutes, repeat
3. let it sit for about an hr or so.
4. Take a HEAVY hammer or mid size sledge and hit HARD between the studs, on rotor hat. Take good aim not to hit stud.
5. Turn rotor by hand about 1/4 turn and hit again
6. Turn again and hit. About now it should pop. I am yet to see a rusted on rotor that won't. But I aim well, have good sledge and hit HARD.
When reinstalling new rotors, apply ample antisieze coat on the back of rotor hat.
IMMEDIATELY after install, bed in rotors and pads. Please! Do yourself many thousand miles to come favor.
Old 09-21-18, 03:58 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

The binding or seize happens in the middle .. the lip around the center nut. Soak and let the penetrant work.

Salim
Old 09-22-18, 09:27 AM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

Thank you both for the advice. Sprayed plenty Liquid Wrench and Penetrating Oil into the screw holes and the center (where the disk meets the hub) every half hour before 12AM last night and continued this morning. Rotating the disk and hit the disk from the back many times, still it would not come loose.

The penetrant seems to go down behind the disk so I guess the binding happens at the center circle.

Is there a way to get the wheel hub and the break disk come down while they are "joined" together? I see a spindle lock and a center nut behind. If I remove the center nut would the disk-hub come off?
Old 09-22-18, 09:58 AM
salimshah

You can even strike the front face ... closer to the edge ... yes it will damage but produces pull leverage on the far side. hitting from back is hard and I am sure you plan to junk the rotor.

I would put he lug nuts back on to protect the studs from an errant hammer blow.

There is a better penetrant based on transmission oil + ???.

You can start disassembling the ball joint and center shaft ... I would not do that as the center shaft will most likely be frozen. The whole thing can snow ball on you ... even if everything goes well you will need alignment and the stuck rotor will still need to be removed.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 09-22-18 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-22-18, 11:12 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

The homemade penetrating oil is ATF + acetone at a 50/50 mix.

What about removing the hub which will also remove the rotor? That is somewhat involved, but you could then work on removing the rotor away from the vehicle

What are you hitting the rotor with? You can get a 3lb or 4lb hammer at harbor freight for maximum momentum transfer.
Old 09-22-18, 11:19 AM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

Yes, the stuck rotor is to be junked. With your advice, I should not venture further other than focusing on removing the rotor disk alone.

Striking on the rotor worries me a bit - potentially damage the bearing(s) behind? Then, I have no other choice I guess.

To release pressure around the center circle, I am thinking about drill a few holes on the rotor around the hub center circle, or try a rotary cutter. Hopefully, metal drill bits and cutting disks do work on the ion / steel disk.
Old 09-22-18, 11:32 AM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

Got a new can of penetrating oil from my local AutoZone store - they say it gives the best results.
Old 09-22-18, 12:14 PM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

Lexmex:

I am hitting the stuck rotor with a typical household hammer. I don't have anything bigger than this for the moment.

As to removing the hub-rotor together, I was thinking of it. Would they come out towards me after removing the center nut? Or, is it more involved as Salimshah was suggesting? As this hub center is giving me this much trouble, I don't mind to replace it with a new hub. I just don't know how complicated this (removing the hub together) is.
Old 09-22-18, 12:35 PM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

Rockauto.com has a hub removal tool:

It looks though one just need to hook it up with the hub bolts, which seems would work in my case.
Old 09-22-18, 01:03 PM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

Lexmex: I got ATF at home. Would typical nail polish work in place of acetone?
Old 09-22-18, 02:23 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by chenxingha
Lexmex: I got ATF at home. Would typical nail polish work in place of acetone?
Cough Cough .. Lexmex and Lexmus are two different members.

Small hammer and limited swing plus awkward angle ... you are not getting much from it.

Less weight hammers deform surface only.

Be patient with the penetrant.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 09-22-18 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-22-18, 06:21 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Nail polish remover typically has acetone but other ingredients also. Look at the label to make sure it has acetone. If so, you can mix up a small amount to spray into the rotor holes if your Penske oil doesn't work

I was trying to check if that Penske oil has acetone, but I can't find it on google anywhere or at the AutoZone website. It is like it doesn't exist.
Old 09-22-18, 07:06 PM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

Lexmus: Sorry for mistaking/mis-spelling your ID. The Penske spray can has the section that says "Contains: Kerosene, Butoxyethanol, Petroleum and Carbon Dioxide" as contents.

Salimshah and Ukrkoz: I will get a sledge hammer tomorrow to give it a try.
Old 09-22-18, 07:50 PM
caseyatbt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I ran into this just today, I have a question about this as well. There are 2 threaded holes opposite each other on the rotor flange. Is it possible to sink a bolt in each hole and slowly tighten each one until it breaks loose?

Quick Reply: Help - removing front brake disc