RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Good RX Replacement Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-01, 02:36 AM
tankertoad

Our '99's Goodyear Integrities are about done at 40K and I haven't been happy with their wet performance all along (easily hydroplanes and spins wheels in wet). What's a good replacement that will match the comfort and low noise of the Goodyears but have longer life and better handling dry and wet? I'm leaning toward the Michelin LTX M/S or Cross Terrain or the Bridgestone Dueler H/L. Anyone have experience with any of these?
Old 05-06-01, 04:54 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking tars (as we say down here)

tankertoad, I replaced the Integritys on my wife's 99 RX AWD (30k but could have gotten a couple more K; why bother?) with Michelin CrossTerrains after reading posts mostly located on Edmunds board. They've only been on a month so no idea of mileage yet, but tread pattern much deeper than the Goodyears and have higher treadwear rating.

They are: virtually as quiet as the Goodyears (despite more aggressive tread pattern), have much better cornering feel (better than my 01 GS430s Potenzas, believe it or not!) and on center behavior, and the slight constant pull to the right that many posters complained about (despite any number of fixes by various dealers involving re-alignment and frontend suspension parts replacement) is just........gone!!!! Cornering limit feels a little higher, too, though that may be subjective due to the Michelins not squealing at fairly low speeds. Comfort factor is at least the equal of the Goodyears and hydroplaning is definitely less though the AWD has always felt extremely stable on the wet stuff.

In fairness to the Goodyears, we had absolutely no problems getting around in the two horrendous ice storms we had in Arkansas around Christmas and New Years (used common sense and didn't attempt glare ice, but snow/slush no problem even with fairly well worn tires).

About $125 each from TireRack. You might also want to go to TireRack's website to read reviews of CrossTerrain, LTX, etc. CrossTerrain is a new design specifically for the car-based SUVs that are gaining so rapidly in popularity these days. Based on my experience, I highly recommend them!!!

Last edited by mooretorque; 05-06-01 at 04:58 AM.