RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX-300 Oil Leak 1k to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-04, 10:53 PM
Whitestrok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX-300 Oil Leak 1k to fix?

I have a oil leak at the bell housing. It seems to be seeping out of the sheet metal covering the bell housing. What are the chances this is a main rear seal leaking oil? I'm 95% sure it's oil. It smells and is the color of oil. Any idea of the cost, if it is a rear main seal?
Old 09-11-04, 09:25 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Yikes! A challenge for those of us skinned-knuckle types . . .

Welcome to ClubLexus Whitestrok, I hope someone here with direct experience can be of help to you.

A grand to drop the pan and slip in a new main seal is probably a good deal in today's inflated repair market, considering that's fairly serious surgery in most vehicles. If you've got oil on the bell housing and it didn't come from another source; spilled oil when filling for example, or seepage from somewhere up on top, you may have lost the rear main seal.

If you want to attempt a DIY solution, there are online resources for special tools, such as those at http://www.etoolcart.com/browseprodu...--SP62300.HTML that might be helpful. Google lexus engine rear main seal. Has anyone out there actually done this? How difficult is it?

There are oil additives that claim to be able to swell the rubber to stop these leaks, but I've never had much luck with them as a long-term fix. Maybe someone can recommend a good product to try, but I tend to run a little low on bravery when it comes to adding strange concoctions to an expensive engine.

Then there's my theory of motor maintenance that applies to most DIY projects as well: I do what I do best to earn money to pay a guy to do what he does best, thus saving money on ruined parts, busted tools and emergency room fees. I save frustration, money, and pain - and everybody's happier with the professional result!

Good luck!
Old 09-11-04, 04:10 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Re: RX-300 Oil Leak 1k to fix?

Originally posted by Whitestrok
I have a oil leak at the bell housing. It seems to be seeping out of the sheet metal covering the bell housing. What are the chances this is a main rear seal leaking oil? I'm 95% sure it's oil. It smells and is the color of oil. Any idea of the cost, if it is a rear main seal?
How many miles do you have out of curiousity?
Old 09-11-04, 08:52 PM
Whitestrok
Driver School Candidate

Default Mileage

It's a 2001 RX-300 and It's got 93,500. Has anyone had luck with oil additives that claim to stop OIL LEAKS?
Old 09-12-04, 01:07 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Default Re: Mileage

Originally posted by Whitestrok
It's a 2001 RX-300 and It's got 93,500. Has anyone had luck with oil additives that claim to stop OIL LEAKS?
You might wanna try B+G MOA. It's a great oil additive i've been using with oil changes on my older 1MZ-FE powered Solara SE V6 w/94k miles. I don't have any front or rear bank gasket seal leakage though. As for oil additives, they are just a temporary fix. How much oil are you losing per mile or oil change? Valve cover gaskets are common leak items on 1MZ-FE V6's.
Old 09-12-04, 07:29 AM
Whitestrok
Driver School Candidate

Default Looked at valve covers

I've taken off plastic motor cover and every thing that's viewable looks dry. (i.e. valve covers). On the rear of the motor is the valve cover and rear main seal the only spots for a leak?
Old 09-12-04, 09:31 PM
Whitestrok
Driver School Candidate

Talking WOW it workks

$3.99 Bar"s Oil Stop Leak. Drove RX 300 for 2hours and looked under car, to my amazment no leak. This is to good to be true.....Someone pinch me.. Wonder how long it will last?
Old 09-12-04, 11:01 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

It's just a quick fix., if you're leaking oil that badly, you need to get those seals replaced before you run into more problems down the road.
Old 09-17-04, 05:41 PM
Whitestrok
Driver School Candidate

Default Bar,s

Engine has resumed leaking oil, but at a slower pace. I changed oil and added Auto-RX . I was scared Bar's stop leak would ruin the rest of the seals.
Old 09-23-04, 05:31 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Yikes! A challenge for those of us skinned-knuckle types . . .

Originally posted by Lil4X
Welcome to ClubLexus Whitestrok, I hope someone here with direct experience can be of help to you.

A grand to drop the pan and slip in a new main seal is probably a good deal in today's inflated repair market, considering that's fairly serious surgery in most vehicles. If you've got oil on the bell housing and it didn't come from another source; spilled oil when filling for example, or seepage from somewhere up on top, you may have lost the rear main seal.

If you want to attempt a DIY solution, there are online resources for special tools, such as those at http://www.etoolcart.com/browseprodu...--SP62300.HTML that might be helpful. Google lexus engine rear main seal. Has anyone out there actually done this? How difficult is it?

There are oil additives that claim to be able to swell the rubber to stop these leaks, but I've never had much luck with them as a long-term fix. Maybe someone can recommend a good product to try, but I tend to run a little low on bravery when it comes to adding strange concoctions to an expensive engine.

Then there's my theory of motor maintenance that applies to most DIY projects as well: I do what I do best to earn money to pay a guy to do what he does best, thus saving money on ruined parts, busted tools and emergency room fees. I save frustration, money, and pain - and everybody's happier with the professional result!

Good luck!
I had good luck with Valvoline MaxLife on my Toyota MR2 to stop an oil leak, took a few oil changes though.
Old 10-23-04, 04:07 PM
Maxi
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear main oil leak repair

I just had this repair on my car along with 2 other leaks from over drive box?? Cant remember now. Any way Aamco did the repair & the cost was $690. Unfortunately I took it in them in the first place to check the transmission as it was lurching when going into gear. They found nothing wrong with it, but found the leaks. 4 days later my transmission went all the way out & my rx is in the shop right now & the repair is going to be $4800. I guess the transmissions are not meant to be rebuilt.
Old 10-23-04, 06:40 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default wow

You know you could have gotten a used tranny from a salvage yard installed for under 1000 with warranty.
Old 10-27-04, 09:41 PM
Whitestrok
Driver School Candidate

Default Leak stopped

Auto RX is the real deal. My leak has stopped for 3weeks now. It was hard to put out $40. for 2 treatments of possible snake oil, but I'm glad I did. It is suppose to get rid of sludge to, well see. As I have plenty.
Old 11-17-04, 09:37 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, I had tranny top gasket leak in one of my previous vehicles. I didn't do jack because the car had over 200,000 miles on it. Not worth a $400 repair bill (the part was $15, the rest was labor and markup.) I just kept topping off the ATF fluid at about 1/2 qt. per month. After 4 months, the leak stopped on its own.

Sometimes, ignoring a problem actually makes it go away. (Disclaimer: try this at your own risk.)
Old 11-17-08, 07:34 PM
Whitestrok
Driver School Candidate

Just thought I'd update this post, still not leaking and I only used the Auto-RX back in 2004 2 times!!!!

Quick Reply: RX-300 Oil Leak 1k to fix?